• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Wc3 Problem [Need Help]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
I really don't know where to put this request.

I've started having problems with my WC3 a few days ago that I cannot solve on my own. Some models such as fire breath or explosion (The regular sfx for spells) suddenly disappeared, literally the models just vanished.

To be more clear, they do not render within game. At first I thought it was because there was a corrupt file, so I re-installed the game, but the problem was still there. Then I re-installed again with a backup copy hoping it was just that CD being corrupt as well, but to no avail.

In the end I even had to resort to piratebay to test out whether or not it's because of me or not, and of course, the problem was still there.

Now, the thing I wish to understand now is, how do I fix this, is it because of a faulty driver on my computer, could it be that it's incompatible with Windows 8.1 or do I need to update some drivers for this to work (however I doubt it's either of these as the pirated version was 1.21 [got to re-try some old maps offline at least], so really, what may be the problem?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
In the end I even had to resort to piratebay to test out whether or not it's because of me or not, and of course, the problem was still there.
Or download from BattleNet... Safe and legit.

is it because of a faulty driver on my computer
I would say so. This problem is very common with laptops using Intel integrated graphic accelerators.

Firstly you need to update to the latest version of Warcraft III. It features critical compatibility fixes needed for Windows 8 and 10. Then try restarting your computer to reload its drivers. Be aware that shutdown in Windows 8 and 10 is hybrid sleep so does not reload the drivers unless you force a full shutdown (hold shift and control when pressing shutdown, only one is needed but I forget which). If the problem still persists try clean installing your drivers. If the computer is OEM try with both the latest generic and the OEM driver to see if there is a difference.

Level 7
I commend the fact that you've realized that I'm using a Intel Integrated graphic card on a laptop, I shall try what you have recommended, Long story short, I might even have to re-install the whole thing all over again (jesus christ it will be the 5th time I reinstall my whole system), If I don't respond within three days it means the problem is dealt - thank you yet again

Level 22
My laptop also now uses Intel GPU after the NVIDIA was fried (for some reason)
Symptoms include:
- 30 FPS (not enough to cure cancer)
- Occassional white screen glitching
- Using for too long especially when charging will pop up a notification in the low right corner saying something about Graphics Problem. If continued, it will end up in BSOD.

Level 7
Alright so I found out what the problem was, apparently my latest windows update was faulty and did not install properly, which in itself should be rare, I had to do a forced update and all the problems I had were solved.

I'd like to add that this did not only fix the sfx spell models not showing...
-I can now again connect to Mount&Blade Warband servers (they wont kick me any more, nice)
-90% games giving me Desync in WC3 has been fixed (I almost threw a tantrum because of this)
-Skyrim saves began to work again (That really got me pissed off)
-I can finally start Mass Effect again (Finally I get to play the ending missions to prepare myself for Andromeda)

I really thank you for helping me out, if it were not for you I'd be re-installing the whole system which is already a pain to do

Level 7
missing FX happens on any system and any wc3 vesion, it's floating bug with no proper reproduce strategy nor solution. for me it requires to restart wc3. for others - restars OS. And very few cannot get rid of that for a long time.

It seems the bug happens because of the OS itself, sometimes the bug is permanent due to a faulty update of the OS (in my case it was a Windows 8.1 update that didn't update properly, perhaps because of a connection being lost during the last update and this happened. I forcefully re-updated the OS and it fixed it for me, so I think the solution should be updating the OS once more, be it forcefully or waiting for that new update, but in my case, I did it forcefully.

In summary:
-incomplete OS update causes the bug in reading the FX, as well as audio for FX doesn't play
-Fix through re-updating your OS (operating system, since I know someone exists that won't understand what OS means)

How to test if this is the problem :
-Missing models/spell models
-Missing sounds for spell usage
-Constant Desync from various games

Hopefully this thread helps someone else as well who has the same problem - And a big thank you for everyone!

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
It is not the OS, a faulty OS will not work at all and might never be able to be fixed without a clean install.

It is almost certainly driver related. Specifically intel drivers. You might find that along with the windows update, a recommended intel graphic driver update was bundled which is what caused things to break. Later this was fixed by another update, either reinstalling the driver or a newer driver that did not have the bug. Sound is also as susceptible to bugs like this as the sound drivers might also be updated automatically.

There is an underlying issue with Intel drivers at times where if they are used heavily by WC3 over an extended period they eventually start to bug by failing to draw or blend some geometry. One has to restart (not shutdown to hybrid sleep) to fix this as the drivers have to be reloaded and not restored in their buggy state.

Status
Not open for further replies.