• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Wc3 Map too big?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hi, i edited a Wc3 Map.

But: When i go to host it, it says: The Map Size is to big.

Or something like that...

How can I decrease it? ._.

Ty

Level 6
I would take out any added music or sounds(take up a ton of room), and also compress as many files as possible. I believe there are a few file compressors on this site somewhere, just do some digging. If worst comes to worst take out anything unnecessary such as extra terrain.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Optimize the map with vexorian's optimizer. That removes all editor only data (like the GUI data). Using JASS can still yield gains in filze size due to more efficient program flow and structure but those are nowhere near as big as from GUI to optimized map.

The map limit is as follows and is given in common unit meaning (not actual unit meaning).
Maplimit = 8 MegaBytes = 8192 KiloBytes = 8388608 Bytes

It is impossible to exceede this limit if the map is intended for online play.

Inorder to reduce filesize you will need to delete data from your map (remove content). Imported art is usually the largest user of space so start there. Optimizations to object number and triggers can also reduce filesize but very little.

If you use WEU, it is likly that it has bloated your map with over 1 MB of crap which you will need to remove.

Last edited:
Level 19
Unless you're making a Single Player game, the 8 MB limit still lies until Blizzard extends it.(Which I heard they might)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Compressing graphics with a higher or more efficient compression can cut file size substantially as well as redcing the pixel size. Eg icons with pallet compression or loading screens with a larger JPEG compression setting. Reducing an image by half in both demensions will quarter its file size.

Yes having a 1080p loading screen is nice but you really can not afford the filesplace and most people will not notice the difference with lower resolutions.

Level 19
Hope This Helps!

Here are some suggestions I thought of: (Hope they'll help)

Highly Recommended

1. Use Vexorian's Map Optimizer to protect and compress the map.

2. Like what thekebecer suggested, read tutorials like this (Scroll round the bottom of it) to help you.

3. Sign this petition through this thread. (If you have a Battle.Net account)

4. Create a program, like how people made Project WarSoc before, to help give a new platform for the map to run. (This can be quite time consuming)

5. Find out the best and least space consuming way to write certain triggers, therefore helping reduce file size and still doing what it should do. (You can get some help if you want)

6. Remove leaks by checking it with the Leak Checker.

7. Pray for a miracle to happen.

Slightly Recommended

1. Remove access custom models/sounds/imports of any kind that aren't necessary.

2. Get a standard or low quality loading screen.

3. Edit the terrain to reduce it's quality and make it less space consuming.

4. Remove some map boundaries to take less space.

5. Delete some triggers that will not affect the game much.

6. Split your map into several 'parts' by creating different maps meant for different areas, for example. (You could use loading and saving for this even if it's not an RPG)

Not Recommended

1. Remake the map into a 'miniature' version of it.

2. You could try configuring it to be played on a Single Player based platform.

3. Transfer your map to Starcraft II. (I personally don't support this, due to the fact that I'm a die-hard Warcraft III supporter)

4. Hack into Blizzard's multiplayer system to configure it to allow maps of a higher file setting. (I don't support this either as it's illegal, do it at your own risk)

5. Drop the project and start on a new one. (It'll waste your previous efforts, though)

Status
Not open for further replies.