• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

map is too big

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
ive made a map and my friend was going to host it when it said"this map file is too big, please try a different map." we dont know what to do, ive tried optimising it, but it was literally the same size. I think it might be my model but who knows. the map cant load becasue it exceeds the limit of 5mb (it is around6.5mb)
Twigser
Clan LDG
tauren LDG:infl_thumbs_up:

Level 5
Maps cant go bigger then certain limits or they cant be hosted , if you got any music take it out that takes up alot of space, the only way to fix it is to get rid of extra files.

Level 17
I'm compressing every file in my 3.5gb (C:) drive right now. Just do that, it squishes junk out of files and then gives them a smaller size. Extract all the models, stick them in a folder along with the map without the files on it. Run the compress thing in Tools (right click My Computer Icon) then name the file it is in something like AAAA so it gets compressed first!

Oh wait a sec... I got something wrong there...

Actually, just rightclick the files and tick Compress to save disk space. Dunno if it makes it smaller or not..

Yep, it's in advanced.

OK, i testsed this with a few Zip files, it doesn't seem to change the files much, only a few KB...

Level 4
Music if u have delete or some big size models that will do it!

Not necessarily, my friend used to have an RPG/Adventure/Hack'n'slash map, which had NO imported models, NO imported sounds and NO imported stuff except for loading screen and prewief. It was somewhere around 5MB or so..

It was, however 448x448 using every frigging centimeter of the map, had tons of triggers, almost 300 or so abilities (Perhaps more..) and tons of heroes and creeps. Some quests and so on. I don't understand how he succeeded at getting it over 5MB tho, but anyway..

Level 14
Kaitech[SanD];376549 said:
I'm compressing every file in my 3.5gb (C:) drive right now. Just do that, it squishes junk out of files and then gives them a smaller size. Extract all the models, stick them in a folder along with the map without the files on it. Run the compress thing in Tools (right click My Computer Icon) then name the file it is in something like AAAA so it gets compressed first!

Oh wait a sec... I got something wrong there...

Actually, just rightclick the files and tick Compress to save disk space. Dunno if it makes it smaller or not..

Yep, it's in advanced.

OK, i testsed this with a few Zip files, it doesn't seem to change the files much, only a few KB...
dude, read the threads, don't post just to post

he can't HOST the map because of too big size. BNet has 4 MB filesize limit and there is no workaround. you have to delete some of your skins/models/sounds/music.

@kaitech[sand]: mpq is a very efficient compression, not much you can squish using .zip/.rar

Level 5
I've got the size problem too when i tried to play on LAN. I only exceeded a few kb, so i downloaded this Optimization Tool from the Hive's database. It decreased the size by ~300 kb AND decreased loading times and lagging. Maybe this Tool could hlp u too?

Just compress the skins and textures.
Its very easy, and you can reduce your map size by 30~80%

1)Download the War3ModelEditor on the Downloads section.
2)Install it
3)Open the War3ModelEditor, go on "edit", then "properties"
4)Set the blp quality to 20

Now open all your textures, go on "window", "texture manager", then just export the textures, replacing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.