• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Wc3 HD Skin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I already tried to make some and HD skins and it was rly a difference between the normal. I used the resolution 1024x1024 but my Comp fucked up and all my data got deleted -___-

So I wanted to ask if u would want some HD skins, so I remake them and post it here?
:fp: Or maybe some1 want to help me :grin:

sorry for my bad english ~.~

Level 3
I think he meant so that the resolution on the unit texture is 4 times more detailed, 1024x1024 instead of 256x256. Like if your'e watching VHS or bluray, it makes a huge difference.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
think he meant so that the resolution on the unit texture is 4 times more detailed, 1024x1024 instead of 256x256. Like if your'e watching VHS or bluray, it makes a huge difference.
16 times more detailed as you have 16 times the pixel number. Nowhere near 4 times.

ye i meant to enlarge it with special filters etc. it really makes big difference due to the low polycount of th wc3 models. but it enlarges the time to load too.
Special filters will do shit all to make them look any better. Ultimatly the filters can only maintain the sharpness of edges, everything after that has to be added manually (eg chain mail loops and stuff). The load time increase is minimal, its linear based on the numbr of 8*8 blocks in the jpeg style .blp file and I doubt WC3 spends much time loading each texture. A 1024*1024 texture takes 16 times longer to load than a 256*256 texture. If WC3 was multi threaded it could parrallel load textures which might yield a major time reduction due to the way jpeg 8*8 blocks are separate from each other but its so fast anyway I seriously doubt it.

Level 4
Special filters will do shit all to make them look any better. Ultimatly the filters can only maintain the sharpness of edges, everything after that has to be added manually (eg chain mail loops and stuff). The load time increase is minimal, its linear based on the numbr of 8*8 blocks in the jpeg style .blp file and I doubt WC3 spends much time loading each texture. A 1024*1024 texture takes 16 times longer to load than a 256*256 texture. If WC3 was multi threaded it could parrallel load textures which might yield a major time reduction due to the way jpeg 8*8 blocks are separate from each other but its so fast anyway I seriously doubt it.

Cool. :grin:
About the HD skins... there are some samurai models, I don't quite remember who made them, which have very clear and detailed textures, almost like HD.

Level 19
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1461740-post296.html

a 1,6 mb skin for timberwolf
"Darkholme's Boreal Hound"
1024 x 1024

as you can see the size is humongous

but if you can and want to make such great skins feel free to do as you please but you should also include a smaller and compressed version of it but great quality is always better than bad quality since one is free to scale things down to one's own needs

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

1. The gain compared to the cost of making larger textures ends up with it not being worth it for multiplayer maps (due to the map-size limitations).

2. You can't justify a larger texture by simply adding filters to a smaller texture, you have to manually paint the new, higher quality texture onto the larger texture file in order for it to be any useful at all.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Actually, you can use the old skin as a base. You however have to add high frequency data to take advantage of the extra size. Basically all textures are bilinearly filtered in wc3 (you could try forcing trilinear with some drivers but it might not work too well so any sort of normal resize would be out without manual details being added.

Some computer filters can however add high frequency edge data via edge detection and other complex algerthims. Yes this means that stones might have noticably better edges on a wall (thiner, less blury), but this is still data extracted and estimated from a lower resolution texture. This method can not truely be used to improve texture detail and will not justify 4* the storage requirements..

Thus to create a high resolution texture you would firstly need to resize the base texture to twice in both demensions and in doing so use a filter which will give you the best base to work on (probably normal bicubic and such). You then will need to use your pure artistic skill to add a lot of fine detail that is a higher frequency than the base image. In the end you will probably find your using the orignal as nothing more than a guide due to the ammount of repainting. Additionally the higher frequency support might not suite the model design and as such you will have to actually change the skin art in some cases.

All in all WC3 is not suited for higher resolution textures, as it does not even use trilinear filtering for crying out loud.

I would however recommend trying this in SC2. It would be a great artistic experiment to bring a WC3 model up to SC2 quality. It would not violate the game port rules purly due to the ammount of work that would need to be done inorder for it to fit in.

Firstly you would need to enhance the model, adding 50-100% more geometry (do not think SC2 models are that highly detailed, they however are a hell of a lot more than WC3).
Next you would need to totally reainimate the model due to the physics supported in SC2 so that it functions properly (you could use the WC3 animations as a guide line for the SC2 animations but in the end you will have to create them yourself and probably add additional animations).
Then you will have to make the textures, this will be a hellish task. You firstly use the WC3 one as a guide to where all the parts are, separating out areas to paint. You then will have to split the image 2-3 times for all the different maps (and learn what the hell they do). Then is the hard and tedious part of painting all the parts. All these images will probably require you resizing it to 4096*4096 pixels for painting and then downsizing to 1024*1024 for final use so that you can easilly generate enough high frequency data for it to justify the resolution (unless you literally paint by pixels which I seriously doubt artists do).
Done? no... You then need to make separate death models...

Thus high resolution textures for WC3 models can not be justified. High resolution textures for WC3 models ported to SC2 can be justified, but will take so much work your better off starting from scratch.

Thus with all honestly, I advise sticking to normal WC3 texture resolution and detail for WC3.

Status
Not open for further replies.