• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

HD Textures Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering if there isn't any HD textures out there for Wc3? I'm talking terrain and doodads specifically. I've been recently looking into maybe making them myself but I'm not sure where I should start, or if something like an HD remake of sorts is even viable because of the size limit on maps (if I do make anything significant however I'll be making a HD mod, not a map, so that you could enjoy RoC and TFT in HD). Would the map limit factor in when playing a mod?

PS: I think I saw an HQ-remake mod for Wc3 on some Russian website but I could have misread it. Anyone came across something like that?

I've seen people try to implement WoW models into wc3. Most of the objects actually do have equivalents. If you choose the right textures/models, it would actually look pretty nifty IMO. You just have to be really smart about it.

Having the unit models from WoW in Wc3 looks really odd at times (the mixture is just weird...), but having the terrain tiles or the doodads actually looks nice if done correctly. I'd recommend trying something like that. It is the easiest way that you can access higher resolution textures (most terrain tiles in WoW are 512x512 iirc).

The only issue is that the styles are kind of different. Wc3 models and textures have very high contrast and high definition (as in, the lines are very thick and defined), whereas WoW textures have a more realistic sort of definition (a bit difficult to explain, but easy to see). So a lot of things may need to be modified/adjusted for it to look nice.

I've seen people try to implement WoW models into wc3. Most of the objects actually do have equivalents. If you choose the right textures/models, it would actually look pretty nifty IMO. You just have to be really smart about it.

Having the unit models from WoW in Wc3 looks really odd at times (the mixture is just weird...), but having the terrain tiles or the doodads actually looks nice if done correctly. I'd recommend trying something like that. It is the easiest way that you can access higher resolution textures (most terrain tiles in WoW are 512x512 iirc).

The only issue is that the styles are kind of different. Wc3 models and textures have very high contrast and high definition (as in, the lines are very thick and defined), whereas WoW textures have a more realistic sort of definition (a bit difficult to explain, but easy to see). So a lot of things may need to be modified/adjusted for it to look nice.

Hmm, I think I've seen people attempt to import WoW textures before but it looked extremely patternesque and despite being of higher definition stood out rather awkwardly. I suppose that's what you mean by having to be really smart about their implementation.

I do know what you mean with the art style difference with Wc3 and WoW, which is the main reason I didn't really bother looking into it - that, and the fact that I was curious about actually making the textures myself (terrain only). I do realise it's still quite an undertaking, which is why I asked first if anyone's done it before.

As for WoW unit models... well, I don't really like the way they all look the same, in the sense that, for example, all humans have the same body-base and you must use bulky armours to deferentiate them. I suppose it can work (since there's a Sc2 mod out there that's recreating Wc3 with WoW assets), but I'm a little skeptical (just slightly :D).

How 'bout this one? http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?t=83031

In the future, this type of thread belongs in the Request section.
Born2Modificate's high-res texture pack does look pretty amazing (some of it's tiles have the pattern problem I mentioned before thought) and the more desaturated look can actually be a good thing (make units stand out more). It does seem to have it's own very distinct style though, which doesn't completely mesh with wc3's own.

PS: this isn't really a request thread. I was mainly looking for information on HD textures and how they could work in a wc3 mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.