• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Wav and MP3 differences?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 30
As the older music format, WAV was meant to play short sounds on any audio computer, it has been the primary format for sounds of the Windows. WAV files are found on the Web, and almost every browser has it's own WAV sounds. Although frequently used, WAV file formats are quite simple and basic. Bulky, but simple; any computer can play them, and they sound fine.
MP3 stands for MPEG-1 Audio Layer 3. The MPEG process compresses a sound sequence into a very small file, while retaining its original quality. The format compresses the file to approximately 1/12 the size of the original file, making it quicker to download or share with a friend. MP3 files are small and have their quality, and they are much more frequently used.
Though they both sound fine, the differences between the two file formats are quite profound. WAVs are much bulkier than MP3s, but require no additional software to play. MP3s require special players such as Napster or WinAmp. MP3s are better suited for swapping songs over the Web, while WAVs work better for audio-enhanced web sites.
Anyway, the WAV formats are not so good in quality, but frequently used for small durations of sounds. MP3 formats, with their lesser size and better quality, are used to sprinkle themselves over the internet faster.

I hope this helped you.

I haven't said that I wrote it. I just goggled it and copied first reasonable solution he could use. Mostly because I don't know a hell about those formats and because of my curiosity and wish to get more acknowledgeable with those thingamabobs :grin:
Did I said something, nah :xxd:
lol just joking, btw you should copied whole thing with links also!
I recommend: Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing

Level 13
eh theres a few things wrong with that though that link also. WAV is uncompressed sound. Its not technically "old" or "outdated"
think of it like xbox 360 its on like version 5 now or more but still named xbox360 so the xbox360 now is like 10x better than the first xbox360.

Point is, its not old. It is Better quality sound than mp3's by far
Reason is it's uncompressed thus any player can play it and no bit compression is used, its data rate is like an average of 1411kbps but i've also seen more than 6350kbps containing two channels of 44,100 samples per second
MP3s also have the 44.1KHz but the sample rate is often no higher than 160kbps also it being compressed.

It has nothing to do with small/short sound clips it can be as big or long as 4GB do to its 32bit limitation.

idk what your asking for but in wc3 maps never use wav theres no point always use mp3s and compress it as much as u can, also if possible make it mono cutting the file size in half again.

For wc3 the main thing you'll have to worry about is filesize, because of this you should pretty much just use Mp3 format as it (depending on bit rate and compression) saves A LOT of space compared to wav formats.

Windows Media Player, Itunes, pretty much any normal audio player supports mp3 anyways (in response to what Aph said)

Level 33
Caps Lock is for... watch it ?
Course` we should use it LoL
I am telling the information, does my grammar counts ?
As you find my information is understandable, that is ENOUGH ;D

Additional Info:
Caps Lock DOES NOT MEAN you're yelling, it's another way to emphasis on my word, I am strongly put THAT particular word to be more like a bolded word. Words that are Caps Locked are often USEFUL, got it ?

Level 30
Well, more used is, like, this or this or this or even this - instead of THIS.
And this has gone far off topic, plus I don't want unreasonable fights.
Thanks for your time. I am unsubscripted from this thread - just in case.
Sorry, Ramza, for ,,ruining" the thread.

My regards.

Mp3s are overrated.

Hmmmm I'd rather not have to download a separate program to play Ogg files (not to say I don't already have one capable, but mp3's are just easier as more people actually know how to listen to them..... hmmm I wonder if there's mp3 players capable of playing Ogg files? I know many can do wma, but still).

Also it's not like Aph is submitting a college essay or something where the works going to be scrutinized and considered legitimate work, no need to get all preachy about copy-pasta when it comes to a response to a simple question

Level 12
Nah guys, I was just smoothing up the mood in the thread seeing as Apheraz was about to start a fight. It was just a silly comment, I really don't want to debate alot concerning it.

And BARON, I actually use mp3s and see no reason why they shouldn't be used.

Level 13
what would be rEallY sweet is if wc3 could play MIDI files.. xD all games, especially RPGs would be out of control then.

a 23MB wav file convertred to a 3.8MB mp3 file would convert to a 25KB MIDI file! :D

Level 13
There is a way to do that I believe
Check the tutorial section.

The obvious downfall to that is that the overall sound quality goes down (and no, you can't convert a mp3 to an MIDI file, they are two very different things), though it would allow a more expansive sound scape.

wc3 cant support MIDI files only certain music players with the right codecs can intemperate it. Its not really a form of compression although it can be considered it becuz of its size. Think of it like a sheet of music, its tells the player the notes to play rather than actually having the sound waves digitally encoded with high sample rates like in the file like a mp3 or wav file. wc3 would have to add that to the game engine to interpret MIDI files.
The reason they called it a wav file is becuz its one of the closest representations to real sound.

wc3 cant support MIDI files only certain music players with the right codecs can intemperate it. Its not really a form of compression although it can be considered it becuz of its size. Think of it like a sheet of music, its tells the player the notes to play rather than actually having the sound waves digitally encoded with high sample rates like in the file like a mp3 or wav file. wc3 would have to add that to the game engine to interpret MIDI files.
The reason they called it a wav file is becuz its one of the closest representations to real sound.

I know how a MIDI file works, I've worked with them before
I could've sworn I saw a tutorial in the tutorial section about how to make Wc3 work with MIDI files though

Well the trick only works locally anyways - so for it to work in a multi player map you'd have to alert all players that for sound to work in future play they have to do that - thus it's not practical for bnet, though it could definitely work for like a single player map, as those types of players would be more willing to do something like that to improve the experience.

Level 35
Well the trick only works locally anyways - so for it to work in a multi player map you'd have to alert all players that for sound to work in future play they have to do that - thus it's not practical for bnet, though it could definitely work for like a single player map, as those types of players would be more willing to do something like that to improve the experience.

Though for single player, with almost unlimited space, its not really that required. Nice that one can do it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.