• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Watcher

Credit if used, edit it however you want.

I originaly planned for a Maiev/Warden model with a custom animation set, but after mdlvis destroyed my saved modelfile i've decided to rig the model with herobloodelf's animations. It performs very cool though.

This model is not compressed. Optimized version and other edits are available here.

Fitting effects:
Bottle of Poison Missile, Shadow Strike Upgraded and Imprisonment Spell.

Keywords:
Maiev, Watcher, Warden, NightElf, Armored, Battle, War, Mage, Assasin,, Knifes, Burning Crusade, Female, Male, Black Temple, Iron, Maiden, Raven, Kael
Contents

Watcher (Model)

Watcher (Model)

Assets
Reviews
10:09, 22nd Apr 2016 Misha: Nice, useful and performs great ingame. Approved.

M

10:09, 22nd Apr 2016
Misha: Nice, useful and performs great ingame. Approved.

Level 34
Here is a testmap that i always use for my unit models and unused glaive model (thanks to Happy Tauren for fixing it and to Proxy for making the mesh of fingers).

Don't really have time to update the model in the nearest future, but i might do it at some point.

Feel free to edit and use this model and it's assets however you want.

UPDATE: added a placeholder version with Maiev's body and animations.

Attachments

• Maiev's Glaive.mdx
    12.8 KB · Views: 351
  • 131231.png
    131231.png
    124.3 KB · Views: 1,023
  • testmap (maiev) (1).w3x
    219 KB · Views: 272
  • Watcher (Optimized).zip
    103.5 KB · Views: 269
  • Watcher (No Attack Particles).zip
    90.3 KB · Views: 200
  • Watcher (Armed With a Glaive).zip
    97.3 KB · Views: 320
  • Watcher (Maiev Animations).rar
    88.7 KB · Views: 286
  • maiev animations.png
    maiev animations.png
    294.6 KB · Views: 705
Last edited:
Level 34
Having followed the development of this, seeing what you were shooting for, this is... Quite interesting. I rather like it, though I agree that (even though it was intentional) the shoulderpads/helmet are much too plain.

Well, maybe. The thing is - it doesn't look too out of place among other wc3 models (that's one of the reasons I uploaded a test map this time - the other is to simplify the work for mods and reviewers). And about contrast with the lower mesh - her body is darkened and covered by a cape, so it's not a problem either. At least in my taste. There are models that look far more distinct (not in a good way) from wc3 contents than this one, even while having a more consistent level of detail. Hell, some models look bad because of overwhelmingly big level of detail on texture.

However I've heard your voice and maybe if I get to update this model (maybe I'm August or something) I will definitely try various ways to make those 'problematic' parts more detailed. I doubt that I will be able to coz' the quality of Warden texture, but il try.

Thank you two for your opinions on the subject of armor.

Level 34
Seems way to plain, also the anatomy is all wrong.

There is no anatomy, really. She is shoulderpads with a cape, everything under the cape is hardly visible so i don't consider her body being a little bit overacted a problem. Noone should, actualy.

Would love to use this as Maiev but I think the animation don't quite fit being a melee. Otherwise it's a pretty great model. :)

Edit: Give her a weapon too, please.

Yeah, as i wrote in the model description - i was going for a custom animation set, but mdlvis corrupted my save. Maybe at some point in the future, but not right now.

You could ask someone to attach this model's head and shoulders to Maiev, this might work as a neat option too. Ha-ha.

Last edited:
Level 34
It ended up pretty well. The animations fit well, but you really need to do something with her attack animations. The current one don't really fit as we know Maiev is a melee fighter.

Well, as it is it's more of a ranged magic throwing unit. However I've attached several versions where animations are adjusted for dagger throwing and even meele combat. I might just slap it's mesh onto Maievs bones as it was suggested by HappyTauren in the near future.

Level 34
Yes, please. :D

Near future - will not come until the end of month or even later, unfortunately. However I will alarm you when it's done. Right now that version I sent you will do alright (I hope). Yeah and I will repeat myself - if someone decides to edit it before I'm done with my voluntarily restriction from wc3 mod making - I will happily post a link to it in the description.

Level 34
I'm not sure I understand why the animations are deemed not fitting. I mean. The only place I can see Maiev's name is mentioned is as a search keyword.
Isn't this model a generic Watcher model? In that case I think a spell casting Watcher is really cool and nice addition to the traditional melee Wardens.

That's precisely what this model is. Watcher Mage.

The reason for the confusion is - originally I made a WIP thread and I said that I was planning to do a Maiev model. However I ended up with a different concept in the end.

That's precisely what this model is. Watcher Mage.

The reason for the confusion is - originally I made a WIP thread and I said that I was planning to do a Maiev model. However I ended up with a different concept in the end.

Ah. Makes sense. Still, you uploaded this as a generic watcher model. I think imagination should take over.

I for one think it's a great model.
I'm not sure I am too happy about the plain texture, but it can work.

Level 27
Nice model, the upper part of the model really gives the effect of covered in shadows. In game i don't known how to explain but the walk animation looks weird, is more noticeable when you have several units moving alongside. Maybe is something with the speed of the model.

For the rest, my only suggestion could be adding the teleport animation, that is the signature trick of the Warden class.

Level 3
Nicely executed and doesn't stick out among default models. I think the metal parts seem plain because they lack contrast when compared to the cape.