• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warhammer Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Mechanical Man: In lore Necron Tomb World are dead, barren ROCKS! There is NOTHING to consume there. Also please don't bring Dawn of War as a counter-argument to this, because Dawn of War has bent and broken lore. For example in the Soulstorm campaign the Necron Lord talks about raising your army as undead warriors, while in truth the Necron DO NOT do that.

Also Mechanical Man, the time it takes for the Tyranids to consume a planet differs alot. Things that affect it are thing like the planet size, what sort of atmosphere and vegetation it has and so on. There is a story where the Tyranids consumed a planet in 80 days, this counting fighting the planet's defences also.

And are we talking about EARTH or a planet like Earth? IF we're talking about a planet like earth I could guess that without any defences it could be a few weeks, but if it's planet Earth then the Tyranids have no chances of reaching it, atleast for a looong looong time. Our Solar System in the Warhammer 40,000 is pretty much an impenetrable fortress, every planet being a huge stronghold and also space having lots of defence stations from what I remember. Also the Earth's moon has been pretty much turned into a Death Star.

I have played Warhammer Online and in my opinnion it is great, althought the feeling of grind does strike in like in every other MMORPG, atleast for me.

So tomb world has no life conditions on its surface? Like on that starmap many dead worlds could be tomb worlds? So necrons do travel to other planets containing life, maybe to get some essences from those lifeforms, I dunno? And I mentioned Dawn of War, how can be its storyline inserted to wh40k lore.

About tyranids, I meant a planet similar to earth, equatorial size about, 40k km, 3/4 oceans, 20°C average temperature, .... Less than year looks very little time for consuming it, then it looks like they are most of the time in space, other races lives for centuries and millennia on those planets.

Level 13
Nope, Tomb Worlds are pretty much always dead rocks or desert planets. Yeah Necrons do travel in space, hell one Necron ship mysteriously slipped past Mars's defences and came on the surface, however it was destroyed there. I'm not quite sure can Dawn of War games be even considered canon yet. As far as I know, Games Workshop themselves have only made references to Blood Ravens and Gabriel Angelos.

And Tyranids are a space faring race. They create Tyranid creatures out of biomass on their planet and launch them on the planet in Mycetic Spores. First they send forth Lictors to scout the planet and Genestealers to scout the planet and "create" Genestealer Cults.

The Tyranids also release other kinds of Mycetic spores, which for example poison plants and animals, making them unable to be eaten by the resident race. Some Mycetic Spores break down cells to make digestion easier for the Hive Fleet and some are for pure bombardment usages.

After that the main fleet arrives and releases the full force of the fleet, raining down all manner of Tyranid creatures. Also Tyranid "plants" begin to grow on the planet surface and the climate usually turns a whole lot more tropical and warmer if I remember correct. After most of the resistance is crushed the Tyranids release gaunts (basic Tyranids) to dispose of any possible remaining resistance. The planet is finally consumed by billions and billions of Rippers (small Tyranids worms), leaving the planet completely barren. The Ships even suck out the atmosphere.

Level 10
I know that 5 necron ships travelled to Mars... only one reached the surface and it was destroyed quickly, as you said.

Anyway, I guess you're right about Dawn of War's lore... yes, a book has been written about it (well, actually, if I'm not wrong, the game is based on the book) but that's just for the campaign background... besides from balance, I got a bit annoyed in Dark Crusade and Soulstorm when I saw Space Marines, Imperial Guard and Battle Sisters fighting each other...
I also didn't like their intros... the one with those 2 space marines charging the monolith is just weird DX.

Also, like I said before, units have been badly modified: for example, Necron immortals are not just an anti-tank unit... one squad can kill loads of infantry or succesfully hit a vehicle more than once.

I have a little question related to the TT game: is it true that Games Workshop will remove the Imperial Guard's Doctrines system? I read that on the Wikipedia as a rumor some time ago... my little army is based on them and, also, it would be a shame to remove such a customization system.

Level 13
Space Marines, Imperial Guard and Sisters of Battle do fight eachother, althought it's not all that common but it does happen. Also I'm not sure about the Imp. Guard thing, but I've heard the same rumour too.

Level 10
Yes, you're right. They can actually fight each other but they usually fight for VERY different reasons: the reason is usually that some Imperial Guard regiments have actually turned to Chaos or something. The fact is that, while in Dark Crusade Imperial Guard and Space Marines were fighting for a good reason, in Soulstorm Imperial Guard and Space Marines do not have that good reason. I'm still wondering why they had to fight... I mean, Sisters of Battle wanted to purge everything and everyone (so Imperial Guard had to defend its rights, somehow) but Space Marines... they had nothing against the Imperial Guard and the Imperial Guard had nothing againsa the Space Marines neither. I'm confused... :confused:

Level 4
Hi people! sry for these past few days inactive...been busy.
well...I got a question bout DoW II...I mean, its more like an information I read I don't remember where (LOLz)...it said that ths single player campaign wus more like squad based like Company of Heroes and stuff...and the multiplayer and skirmish stuff...will be, u know like the previews DoW...with buildings and stuff...cause if the multiP and skirmish is to be just like this, it'll be great...I love the economic system of DoW...though it's more focused on the battle system...which totally OWS!!!

ps: how would the Tyranid building and economic system look like in the skirmish and multiplayer stuff??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Level 13
The DoWII is battle system is based in personalising squad leaders with various equipment (as far as I have seen in the campaign video).
I suppose Tyranid's economic system will be based in something similar to the "pillage" ability from the orcs.

Level 13
There will only be a Space Marine campaign. The Campaign will feature choosing up to 6 squads and controlling them. It is more tactical squad based strategy rather than base building. However the multiplayer will be like DoW 1.

Level 13
No flying units in DoW II. The only transport will be tanks like Rhinos and such. And I most certainly hope they DON'T make Grey Knights in DoW II because:
1. It doesn't make sense.
2. It breaks lore to a certain extend.

Level 13
IMO the campaign actually sounds great. I highly doubt it will be "teh epic failz". I mean it's new, it's different and it implements a new level of strategical thinking. Sorry, but I'm kind of tired after playing so many RTS games where almost every campaign level is "build base, destroy enemy".

Level 4
well thx for ALL this info ppl...another question...Ive heard about some kinda Warhammer 40k game, but this time...3rd person shooter...does any1 know anything about it?

Level 13
This group is for all Warhammer fans as far as I know. Also, Mechanical Man, the Space Marines are supposed to be really strong... super... uber... godlike soldiers. Well not exactly godlike, but they are supposed to be really really really strong anyways. 10 Space Marines shouldn't have much trouble handing 20-30 Orks on their own. Of course this also differs between chapters. For example ranged combat Chapters should stay ranged, while melee like Black Templars can easily run in and beat them up.

About Warhammer 40k: Space Marine; it's more like a melee game rather than a shooter. I kind of dislike it at it's current point thought. First of all, the bolter in the game shoots way too fast and is way too weak considering how it is explained in lore. And a normal Space Marine (judging by his looks) should not be able to fight against 2-5 Chaos Space Marines at the same time since alot of CSM are over 10,000 years old (unless they have been recruited after Horus Heresy) and because of their age they have a whole lot more experience than a normal Space Marine.

Also the whole "animactions" seem like a cool system, but when you actually think about it it can get repetive and boring especially when there ain't enough different kinds of cinematics. I also hope they make combat more "active", rather than block, attack, stun, cinematic and so on. Also STUNNING a Traitor Guard with a .... Chainsword just sounds incredibly strange.

Level 10
Yes, I guess you're right. I found a bit strange that one space marine could kill more than one chaos space marines at the time... they should be equal. I also thought the same thing about the bolter, since the pistol should be semi-automatic and, since bolters use very fast piercing and explosive (as far as I know...) bullets, they should be an instant kill weapon against the traitor guards.
About the "animactions"... I guess they are quite repetitive since the video is supposed to be a WIP...
By the way: besides from the fact that there are many kinds of weapons in the imperial wargear, why do the traitor guards have bolters (or a bullet-based weapon) rather than a lasgun?

Level 13
Well, some reasons why people might prefer 40,000 over fantasy:
1. More "original", even if Warhammer Fantasy is really, really old, people still consider it unoriginal. Then again, Dungeons & Dragons, Lord of the Rings and Conan existed before it, so people blame it on taking stuff from those. 40,000 can be considered more original, even thought it also has elements from other previous sci-fi universes.

2.Bigger world. The 40,000 world is nearly limitless, with countless possibilities.

3.More possibilities for the gamer. You can pretty much create your own planets/armies and even races, altought hardcore fans usually dislike that idea unless the race is really minor one.

Yes, Tyranid pretty much all, warhammer 40k basically show you how would most known races from fantasy medieval world would look in futuristic setting. Most sci-fi sagas and games are just AvP style, while wh40k contains sorceries and magical elements present in fantasy settings. Little closer is Starwars saga, but it is just monotone (all sides there use almost the same technology).

Still I think that warhammer fantasy is underrated, maybe because crappy games, Mark of Chaos being buggy, too system demanding and pretty lame gameplay, while others are too old (so you must mess with dosbox which turns pretty cumbersome in the end) and I just rather play total war series if I want to play that kind of RTS (yes, I mostly play fantasy games over historical because of better gameplay, not because I prefer fantasy :p) Actually I prefer a game warhammer themed than warcraft, lord of the rings or any other series.

But I still don't get why is wh40k lore continuing on real world, I always thought that is was just warhammer fantasy in the future, which in my opinion would make more sense.

Level 10
I guess that is just a consequence of how Warhammer 40k came out: actually, when it was just a concept, it was called "Rogue Trader"... when it came to make it (after Warhammer Fantasy was made), Citadel Miniature's chief Bryan Ansell wanted it to share its name with the Fantasy one and so he called it "Warhammer 4.000"; Rick Priestley (the WH40k creator), added one more zero so it would have given the idea of a much more far future, so far that it wouldn't have had connections with the present.

Level 13
40,000 is NOT and never were the future of Fantasy actually. At some point the Fantasy world was a minor planet surrounded by a warp storm in the 40,000 universe. However Fantasy fans felt that it made their loved universe seem like a minor and meaningless skirmish, so Games Workshop made them completely separate universes. The share some elements but otherwise they are not related in anyway.

Level 13
However, there are hints in WH 40k Lore than admit that worlds similar to the ones in Fantasy exist om the Universe...

Level 6
I heared a cool news :grin:
Q&A Interview with Philippe Boulle (Senior Designer of Dawn of War II):
We know you've just announced the Eldar as a playable faction, but are there any details you can share with us about their presence in the game?
The Avatar or Khaine will blow your mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.