• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Miscellanous / Other] Warcraft Of Might And Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have ever played any of the Heroes Of Might And Magic series the tittle probably caught your attention. Basically this scenario converts Warcraft 3 from a real time strategy game to a turn Based one. When I began work on it a few years back I intended it to be for multiplay, so most of the systems are made for such. Then I thought that players won't enjoy waiting for their allies/opponents to make their turn, so I began making the scripts for singleplayer. I am mentioning this because the scripts might raise some questions if someone cares to look. Most of the systems are developed (around 90%),as well as terrain. I have a concept about the storyline with it's twists and turns but it would be interesting to hear some advices on the concept/scripts/ and maybe an alternate storyline. Of course credit will be given. The story revolves around a kingdom that is falling apart after years of rule under the reign of a mad king. Now his son, which was away for (some reason) has to pick up the pieces, overthrow his father and bring glory to the kingdom once more... and bla bla the details will be added later. Now then this is the first project I ever uploaded under the map development thread and the reason for doing so is that maybe if enough people will nag about me finishing the project maybe I will overcome my laziness and actually finish it... oh and yeah some ideas and fresh blood will be nice too.

Here is a video of the intro cinematic.

I have seen one other map of this sort, but not really that well thought of and it was actually not approved. So if you like to help with ideas or doing some the stuff write some shit here or on pm.

Attachments

• HeroesSystem.w3x
    6.9 MB · Views: 162

TKF

TKF

Level 19
Making a decent AI would be a real challenge.

Would you consider making this concept support multiplayer ?

Making something turn based in wc3 is a real challenge. When I once upon a time considered to make something based of Heroes, i thought it would be semi-real time turn based, meaning all players could make moves within certain minute and have a movement detection engine to restrict how much you can move pr turn.

Gave the map a try and well, it's still alpha, right? I'm quite the HoMM fan and it was fun trying out a wc3 map trying to emulate that. Unfortunately certain things felt off to me, like not have a visual indication of your movement, and the battle were just like, wtf is going on lol. My angel died on the second battle and then I died to bandits guarding the ore mines :|

I was also unable to recruit units, revive my hero and locate him after I made him enter the town (which essentially meant I lost him completely. Also why no hero icon at top left of screen?

The thing that bugged me a lot was the movement, even though it was actually ok imo. I don't know if this would work but here's how I would've done the movment: you click to move somewhere and it creates a dummy unit that actually goes there, maybe using a script that increases move speed to insane speeds so it doesn't take long to calculate the route, and then for every X milliseconds, mark down the position of the dummy unit with another dummy unit (i'd use hashtables coz that's the only thing I know how to use lol). Once the path is established, you right-click on one of the dummy units that form the path and your hero moves to them, or you click on an ability icon that engages the movement. I might be best to completely trigger the hero movement, each dummy unit reached removing one movement point.

There is probably a better way still of doing this, but off the top of my head that's all I got right now :p

I love how you used the resource UI to make day/month/movement btw. Clever.

Oh and for the town screen I'd lose the camera panning if I were you. I don't know if it's the case with everybody, but I usually play turn-by-turn games by just clicking around, so have to press the Esc key every time was quite annoying. I would also advise against a free-roam camera in the town. HoMM 5 and 6 had their own camera system which I believe would be difficult to emulate in wc3, so my suggestion would be to just have a static camera so you can have all the fun with perspective and interesting angles to build the towns.

As for the build screen, you should look into the custom UIs that pop up in the middle of the screen, y'know, using units that appear as UI elements. There should be quite a few around the workshop (hopefully) because this would just provide you with so much more flexibility, not to mention that you can have more than 12 buttons, and can use it for recruiting units. If you don't know wtf I'm raving on about, here's a visual example of what I mean by custom UI.

Speaking of units, smart move with the items. While having only 6 units instead of 7 per faction, I don't think that would break the feel of a HoMM-like game. What would be ideal would be if you would actually be able to have custom UIs without having to alter the camera angle, so you can have them pretty much anywhere, but I don't think that's quite feasible in Wc3, unless of course you lock the viewing angle to a certain degree. But that might be taking it a bit too far lol.

Anyway, this was pretty fun to try out. Wish you all the best, and hopefully my wall of text will help to improve if just a teensy bit the quality of your map :p

Level 11
Love HOMM and love the idea.

Giving it a try, hope this comes to completion ;).

EDIT: Tested it a bit, here is what i suggest:

1) When you end the turn, it should automatically reselect your hero.

2) Somehow, movement costs need to show before you accept movement.

3) The camera is annoying, regular wc3 camera would be better imo.

4) The battles go too fast and you have no control over what happens?

Making something turn based in wc3 is a real challenge. When I once upon a time considered to make something based of Heroes, i thought it would be semi-real time turn based, meaning all players could make moves within certain minute and have a movement detection engine to restrict how much you can move pr turn.

That is actually a rather good idea... thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.