• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft movie teaser

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
Thing is, instead of repeating Warcraft's story, it's better to at least make something different. If it had been for me, I would have chosen a story that was not presented in the games, maybe not in the books either.

I agree on that or alternatively maybe make a film based on a book. I'm just saying that I hope this isn't going to be the canon story-line in our reality if they're going to change too much.

Level 24
Yeah you're probably right, it's great to see you back in action OutsiderXE, I remembered your name but I couldn't quite put my finger on where I've seen you. But you were the guy who made that awesome Day of the Dragon campaign. ^^

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I agree on that or alternatively maybe make a film based on a book. I'm just saying that I hope this isn't going to be the canon story-line in our reality if they're going to change too much.
It doesn't matter, as WoW for me has low value. I desperately enjoyed the 3 RTSs. Now it doesn't matter what they do with the story anymore as there will probably be no Warcraft IV continuing the events of TFT.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Inb4 Blizzard realizes that they can make more money with movies and never release any new games anymore.
It took them quite a while to get to the point where people now know what the movies are supposed to be about to be appealed to go to them. They have the games and fans of those in the back. If it were to be the first Warcraft ever (this movie), I doubt such a great number of people would be interested even with the amazing CGI on display. This keeping in mind that there had been other movies with orcs like TLotR & THobbit in the past.
Avatar, for instance, was something new. I mean, no one really saw blue monkeys flying reptilian birds before.

Last edited:
It took them quite a while to get to the point where people now what the movies are supposed to be about to be appealed to go to them. They have the games and fans of those in the back. If it were to be the first Warcraft ever (this movie), I doubt such a great number of people would be interested even with the amazing CGI on display. This keeping in mind that there had been other movies with orcs like TLotR & THobbit in the past.
Avatar, for instance, was something new. I mean, no one really saw blue monkeys flying reptilian birds before.
I see where you are coming from, but I disagree for all the reasons you already mentioned yourself:
Warcraft is a good enough franchise to work on it's own, even without gamers backing it up.

Heck, even the dumb western copy of Battle Royale (aka Hunger Games) got it's fourth installment by now. And to make matters worse, even the bad copy got another copy into another trilogy (Divergent)!
People love sequels. As soon as the Warcraft Movie is out, people will watch any other Blizzard movies regardless of if they know the games or not. Because society has conditioned the gullible masses to consume trilogies (or octologies, which seems to be the new trend) with a passion.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Heck, even the dumb western copy of Battle Royale (aka Hunger Games) got it's fourth installment by now. And to make matters worse, even the bad copy got another copy into another trilogy (Divergent)!
Thanks for telling me of that one I didn't know about. I haven't watched the HGames yet. I hate it when things turn to more things circling on the same idea. Franchises are not a good idea in my opinion, especially if they exceed a trilogy.

Divergent I think follows a slightly different approach to the idea. But hey, it's good to have an idea exploited in various modes. That doesn't make it a copy of a copy. It's simply another perspective. The worst thing happens when a copycat takes place in the same universe: TLotR->THobbit. Seriously the whole idea is basically the same. It's not differently looked at.

On the Warcraft matter, it's all about advertising, really, for everything, any movie, game, whatever. Who sells their product better is apt to engross. What I was trying to mention is that Warcraft needs less commercial since now almost everybody heard of at least something related to it be it games (not only video), books etc.
I stopped watching Transformers after the second one. It's a miracle I continued after the first one.

On the Warcraft matter, it's all about advertising, really, for everything, any movie, game, whatever.
Exactly. I mean, all the comic-book movies like Avengers, Batman, Superman, etc. were successful in drawing in the non-comic-nerds.

All you need are some cool trailers and genre preferences. And Warcraft is imho pulling all the right triggers for the general fantasy crowd even without the gaming crowd behind it.

Level 24
All you need are some cool trailers and genre preferences. And Warcraft is imho pulling all the right triggers for the general fantasy crowd even without the gaming crowd behind it.

This movie could definitely be epic but just remember that the trailer for the Phantom Menace looked awesome too. Trailers really tell you nothing about a film they only really exists to hype people up.

Level 24
Not to mention that Blizzard make amazingly good cinematics. WoD was a prime example of this, gameplay did not live up to the cinematic quality.

Agreed, it is a bit sad to see people get so hyped over a film or a game over a trailer since it has little in common with the final product. It is the same thing with Cata, the most amazing cinematic Blizzard has ever done in my opinion but the expansion was the absolute worst.

This movie could definitely be epic but just remember that the trailer for the Phantom Menace looked awesome too. Trailers really tell you nothing about a film they only really exists to hype people up.
Then again, Phantom menace was a successful movie, sales-wise (and so were episode 2 and 3).

Level 24
Then again, Phantom menace was a successful movie, sales-wise (and so were episode 2 and 3).

Well so was Assassins Creed Unity, it made a huge amount of money at launch so by that standard the PC port of Unity at release was a masterpiece. You can't really use sales as a modifier for quality because if the film had any other name than Star Wars on it it would have failed spectacularly. Their sales is due to fame and not actual quality.

Level 19
The success of a movie is primarily based on the theatrical earnings and mostly excludes home videos and tv broadcast rights and merchandises.

I'm hoping that the movie will kind of revive the warcraft franchise.

Oh Battle Royale love that movie and sStill better than Hunger Games.

Level 24
I never argued that the sales weren't good but I also never used the word success but quality, do I think the WarCraft film will make a lot of money even if it is bad, yes. Do I think it will be good, I don't know but I sure hope so.

Level 7

It's not -- the film will exist in its own universe. I have this sneaking suspicion that the quality of storytelling will be superior to Blizzard's, too.

Level 24
It's not -- the film will exist in its own universe. I have this sneaking suspicion that the quality of storytelling will be superior to Blizzard's, too.

Cheers to that, it would be fantastic to see a story along the quality of WarCraft III or the War of the Ancients book trilogy.

Level 24
Hopefully it wount feel shoehorned when watching the movie, I constantly have this inner struggle with myself, it's a WarCraft movie *cheers* but at the same time it's a video game licensed movie and those tend not to do very well. Lets just hope they did better than the Super Mario film.

Level 14
Hopefully it wount feel shoehorned when watching the movie, I constantly have this inner struggle with myself, it's a WarCraft movie *cheers* but at the same time it's a video game licensed movie and those tend not to do very well. Lets just hope they did better than the Super Mario film.

I feel as though I'll probably enjoy it (I tend to be more forgiving with movies than most other media, I actually enjoyed the Resident Evil films for example) so in terms of Video Game licensed movies I think this one might set a precedent and make studios try harder in terms of video game movies.

Roland

R

Roland

You do realize that this post was already released in the Latest news of the hive.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
I fail to see originality in this new trailer.
I nonetheless hope this movie will be up to everyone's expectations.

As for me, regarding anything highly anticipated / coveted, the wait is generally the best part.

For those interested in how to make a blockbuster movie these days, according to Slate :
in English
en Français

=> sorry for spoiling the movie. :ogre_hurrhurr:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Unique != better

French guy here, sometimes struggling with English. :grin:
btw, you are right. Thanks.

We got to see a few things, Stormwind City, Magni and the trailer was awesome aside from one absolutly horrible factor, the music f-ing sucked. It's not something I'd associate with WoW at all.

Already saw Stormwind in The Skies of Azeroth (best viewed using Google Chrome)

As for the music, well, too bad. The reactions to it on IMDb are interesting, too.

qmct7.jpg

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Y'all dubstep haters.
Though that's expected, it's pretty niche I think.

I thought the music was fairly nice, not Warcraft theme admittedly but I don't think it ruined the trailer. For me anyway.

The music did not bother me.

Sometimes, trailers may use very unexpected themes. For example, the official trailer (2014) for the Blu-Ray Edition of Dolls (a 1987 horror movie by Stuart Gordon), uses music from Brian de Palma's Dressed to Kill (1980 - original music by Pino Donaggio).

There can also be daring musical/artistic choices, which are then an integral part of the movie experience. See :
- Marie Antoinette (2006)
- Giorgio Moroder's Metropolis (1984 - 1927)

yes, the music in the trailer sucked, it killed all hype in me

Not sure it will be heard in the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.