• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft III Models on Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
I highly doubt that this is actually POSSIBLE (considering noone even knows how to put a GIF on a desktop...) but i figured what the hell? Might as well try ^^. Anyone know if it is possible to put a warcraft III model on a desktop? or if ur using bumptop? (google it if u don know what bump top is) I just figured it would be cool if i was logging on and there's Illidan standing there looking cool while i log onto the web ^^ again, i am NOT ACTUALLY EXPECTING IT TO BE POSSIBLE. But if someone knows how to put a GIF on a desktop, that would work to^^ (for windows 7). lol again, not thinking it actually possible. Just trying to avoid idiots saying not everything is possible...

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Desktops do not nativly support stuff like that. The reason is cause it would need continuial updating at full display resolution which is extreemly expensive on computational resources. Yes rendering a WC3 model is piss easy but you still need to swap out the desktop image 60 times a second or more ontop of rendering the actual frames and contense of the rest of your desktop.

The result is a needless waste of resources which would shorten battery life and overall make your system slower. Even if not used, supporting such a feature would mean forgoing optimizations to support it. People complained about vista's 3D window view tool as it is, this is even less useful than that and would be more computationally intensive as it must always run.

I can understand that shows like CSI show funky computer animations, but those are done frame by frame by artists and not actual computer scientists so do not reflect reality. Yes it would be cool to have illida standing there on your desktop in full 60 FPS AAed beauty with realistic shading, but is entirly pointless and wasteful.

What is possible though is you could start a window which renders him on start up. Like a sort of popup.

Level 22
Actually, it could be done in a similar way as it's done with the cartoon models, you need to make an invisible program that would only contain your model displayed somehow. If you manage to do that, then there won't be lag.
The best of this is you'll be able to move it too.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Actually, it could be done in a similar way as it's done with the cartoon models, you need to make an invisible program that would only contain your model displayed somehow. If you manage to do that, then there won't be lag.

No mater how you do it it should not lag as the mouse and cursor use interupts.

Like I said, it is doable but totally pointless and will just waste CPU and memory time.

Level 3
It isn't unnecessary if he thinks it's cool. Also, it doesn't have to play when he isn't actually viewing the desktop.

In fact it is possible if you have windows 7 ultimate, then you can use a feature called Dreamscene, which displays a movie as a desktop background. This means you would have to record a movie of the model, which isn't too hard if you use Fraps for example.

Look at this video for example. It shows a living zerg queen on his desktop.
I found it in this thread on battle.net

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Also, it doesn't have to play when he isn't actually viewing the desktop.
It does due to windows being transparent and only covering a small area of the desktop. Yes it would not when 1 or more windows are active and are full screen but iy is still possible to have 200 windows open that are not.

In fact it is possible if you have windows 7 ultimate, then you can use a feature called Dreamscene, which displays a movie as a desktop background.
Displaying many images is more efficient that rendering images each frame. All it needs to do is a buffer swap every period in time which is nothing at all for your graphic card or CPU (maybe an array index incriment). We have so much memory that it does not really mater the increased memory usage. Rendering the images on the other hand needs both intensive work from CPU and GPU and would require alterations to the whole management system to govern clipping and other processes (like when to load and unload models and the animation engine etc).

Level 5
I am not 100% sure but its may be possible depending on the operating system you have, example I have a windows 7 laptop and pc, you can create your own desktop gadget but you need to be creative, if you are talking having a slide show just press start, and type in desktop Gadget, it should come up and click on it, you can get a list of gadgets you own and download more, although a illidan on your desktop would be cool, ill check it out...

Level 4
It isn't unnecessary if he thinks it's cool. Also, it doesn't have to play when he isn't actually viewing the desktop.

In fact it is possible if you have windows 7 ultimate, then you can use a feature called Dreamscene, which displays a movie as a desktop background. This means you would have to record a movie of the model, which isn't too hard if you use Fraps for example.

Look at this video for example. It shows a living zerg queen on his desktop.
I found it in this thread on battle.net

Thats COOOL!!!! I guess ill try it then ^^ thx!

Status
Not open for further replies.