• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft fanfiction recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
In my personal opinion I'd say that custom campaigns are in a way, "fanfictions in the form of games", thus I feel it might also be a good idea to recommend some fanfictions to folks here, maybe some of them can be turned into custom campaigns in the future?
Anyway what I will recommend in the bottom are fanfictoins that are good in my opinion, links of them will post as well of course. Don't read them if you loathe the very notion of fanfiction.
(English is not my first language so please forgive me if my grammar is horrible)

A Strategic Withdrawal(incomplete, still going on)
Author Fanfiction ID: Lord22(in fact the author have written quiet many other warcraft fanfictions, but this one is my favorite)
Link: A Strategic Withdrawal Chapter 1: Following Orders, a warcraft fanfic | FanFiction
Brief Introduction: Basically, instead of hire Trolls and Ogres to destroy his ships and put the blame on them, Arthas choose to stop before destroy his ships and go home as his father command. Then basically the whole canon was alternated to a new line of story. It is very interesting, the author tried very hard to build this alternate line that neither Arthas nor Sylvanas has became undead.
My favorite part of this story is in chapter 30 when Garithos called out Alexstrasza for……well for a great deal of things. Here it is:

(Even so, she could feel his grief, twisted to malice by the tragedies of the first and second war. His family had been displaced from Stormwind. During the Second War they had been slaughtered while he was defending Quel'thalas.
'I grieve for you Garithos.' said Alexstrasza. 'I sense the hatred gnawing at your heart. You should set it aside. The prejudice you hold you mask your grief is devouring you.'
He looked up from his book and shut it. 'Don't presume to lecture me.'
'There were many tragedies throughout the Second War Garithos.' said Alexstrasza. 'Do you think you alone lost family? That the tragedy of the second war was yours alone? Or humanities alone? The old hatreds must be allowed to die lest-'
'Spare me!' said Garithos. 'If I were an elf nursing a grudge against humanity you would lament the passing of so wondrous and fair a being! Then you would talk about what a pity it is that we hairless unspecial apes were so foolish! Foolish for not dying in droves to defend them! Which we did!
'For little enough thanks, I might add.'
'You are wrong, Garithos.' said Alexstrasza. 'I care for all my children. And I grieve at all the blood which is spilt without need. Humans and elves are both my charges, and the dragonflights have looked out for them for endless ages.
'It was necessary that we draw back our hand and allow them to stand on their own.'
'We have always stood on our own.' snapped Garithos. 'Our guardians are either incompetent, indifferent or trying to kill us. Don't pretend as if you've been of any help.'
'Humans live only a short time. And their memory of the ancient past has faded.' said Alexstrasza. 'Long ago your descendants were not apes, as some among you theorize, but a race of giants known as the vrykul. A plague struck them and many of the children they bore were born weaker, smaller, frailer.
'The King of the Vrykul commanded that these children be slaughtered. But the parents sought a way to save them. My flight transported these children to the Eastern Kingdoms and raised them. Until they could walk and fend for themselves.'
'The dawn of humanity was before recorded history.' noted Garithos. 'Surely you must have had some other contribution to our history?'
Alexstrasza considered it. After the first human colonies had been established, she'd turned to other things. After a moment she came up with something else. 'The red dragon flight was instrumental in alliance between elves and humans. From them, you learned magic.'
'Which the elves gained from far more than us.' said Garithos. 'And both those were thousands and thousands of years ago. My grandfather's grandfather could not have met anyone with a living memory of either. I can't confirm either of those, so for all we know you could be making them up.
'Anything else?'
Alexstrasza was troubled. Humans were so short lived. Alexstrasza tried to think of all the times she had intervened in their history. Yet she found the times were few. Oftentimes she had provided counsel to the High Elven Kings. She'd made a point of remaining on good terms with them.
A visit every hundred years or so. But that could be three or four generations for a human. And their clans had always been changing leaders. It was difficult to establish any kind of long term relationship.
What had she done for them recently?
'We drove off Deathwing in the battle of Grim Batol.' said Alexstrasza.
'Which you only did after being rescued by a human.' noted Garithos 'And given how much damage you did to us it really shouldn't be considered.'
Alexstrasza couldn't think of anything else. Human lifespans passed in a blink of an eye for her. And aside from that there was nothing she could really think of that she'd done in living memory. 'What happened with my flights was beyond my control.' Her voice was defensive.
'No it wasn't.' said Garithos. 'If you had brought your flights to Stormwinds defense the First War would have been won with ease.'
'We cannot interfere with every battle between nations.' said Alexstrasza, allowing her irritation to show. 'Our task is to defend the world from outside. Not within.'
'They were a demonically infused army of monsters that came from a demonically infused world through a demonically infused portal which was opened by a demonically infused Guardian of Tirisfal.' said Garithos. 'How much more otherworldly must it get?!'
'We…' Alexstrasza realized she didn't have an answer. It had happened so quickly. One moment it was a war for one human nation, the next she had been enslaved. 'We did not think the orcs would…'
'Would what?' asked Garithos. 'Leave a path of carnage behind them? Slaughter tens of thousands? What if the dark portal had opened up in Quel'thalas? Would you have been quite so inactive?'
And Alexstrasza, to her horror, realized that the answer was a resounding "no." The elves were far less numerous than humans. They could not sustain the same number of casualties and bounce back. The elves lived far longer and in better times Alexstrasza had had many friends among them. Friends of hundreds of years.
If the only remaining high elven land had come under assault she would have rushed to their aid at once. She'd been tempted to do so in the Third War. She'd only been held back by both the plan and the knowledge that her flights were too few to make a difference.
'Your silence speaks for itself.' said Garithos. 'You don't care about humanity. We are merely a convenient source of cannon fodder to protect the races you do care about.
'In a thousand years, my hatred could not cause as much destruction as your indifferent "love" has.')

Light of Lordaeron(completed, the author promised sequel but story not yet posted)
Author Fanfiction.net ID: Necronicus
Link: Light of Lordaeron Chapter 1, a warcraft fanfic | FanFiction
Brief introduction: The story is a good romance story, basically setting is Arthas and Jaina broke up when they were young for, well, in short Jaina feel that their duties will make them have no time for love with one another. Then he meet Sylvanas shortly after that, and then when the canon happened Sylvanas went to Lordaeron with other Priests to investigate the plague. And the canon was totally changed when it came to Stratholme. Like I said this is a good romance story, so don't be too serious about the canon when you read it.

For the Love of a Prince(going on)
Author Fanfiction.net ID: WavesBlade
Link: For the Love of a Prince Chapter 1: Nothing Left to Lose, a warcraft fanfic | FanFiction
Brief introduction: The story basically is saying that Jaina was banished from Kirin Tor, so far she basically have lost everything and have nowhere to go. So she make a gamble to travel back for her prince Arthas(not the way Garrosh did it, more suitablely to say it's sort of like rebirth again in the same timeline, not go to an alternate timeline. As for how exactly I will leave it to yourself) This is both a good romance story and a rather serious one, the author apparently is very familiar with the lore of Warcraft as a whole.

Lady and King(incomplete, not update for two years)
Author Fanfiction.net ID: Dude from Blackhand
Link: Lady and King Chapter 1, a warcraft fanfic | FanFiction
Brief introduction: This one is rated M and for good reason. Basically Sylvanas possess a human girl who fall into a coma and start to act as a spy inside the court of Stormwind by seduce Varian. The story is not very serious(or very not serious),but it's funny for sure. So I do suggest take some time to read it.

That's basically all fanfictions I'd like to recommend. Very few for sure, and to be honest I dislike most Warcraft fanfictions, most of them are stories with an OC main character, very few of them actually write about story with canon character as main characters. So hope you guys enjoy them.
It is also my personal opinion that A Strategic Withdrawal and Light of Lordaeron are very suitable to be turn into custom campaigns, but I'm too incompetent to do it myself, so I hope that maybe someone here could take time to consider it.

Level 3
People usually wants to make as campaigns the stories they made themselves.
If you really want to make one campaign fitting to one of those stories you are free to do so.
I think I already explained in the end that I couldn't do it myself, thus I said that if others want they could try to make these stories into campaigns. If nobody want to do it then so be it, I neverthelss still recommend them to at least enjoy reading these stories.(if they wish so)
What do you think of these stories? Have you read them? If you have then do you like them? Please at least give it a try.;)

Level 3
Isn't every map quite literary fanfiction?
Exactly, that's why I think it might be a good idea to recommend some actual fanfictions here and it would be awesome if someone culd turn them into campaigns again. (A shame that most Warcraft fanfictions are about OC or SI that I dislike very much, but nevetheless I still hope you could enjoy these stories I recommended here)

Level 14
Competence is something you can acquire.
Toy around with the editor, write some scripts and read the memory leaks tutorial and you will be above average for the data/trigger part.
Afterwards the difficulty is terraining and tooltips(both of which are long to learn and needs practice)

Level 3
Competence is something you can acquire.
Toy around with the editor, write some scripts and read the memory leaks tutorial and you will be above average for the data/trigger part.
Afterwards the difficulty is terraining and tooltips(both of which are long to learn and needs practice)
Thanks for your advice, I will try it. But still, have you read them and do you like them?

Status
Not open for further replies.