1. Find your way through the deepest dungeon in the 18th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. A brave new world lies beyond the seven seas. Join the 34th Modeling Contest today!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hive 3 Remoosed BETA - NOW LIVE. Go check it out at BETA Hive Workshop! Post your feedback in this new forum BETA Feedback.
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[Defense / Survival] Warcraft DayZ

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by EloTheMan, Jan 28, 2013.

1. EloTheMan

EloTheMan

Resources:
    Resources:
    EloTheMan presents
    [​IMG]

W-DayZ?
    Warcraft DayZ is a project I have started, its based on the popular game mod known as DayZ with some inspiration from the wc3 map Afterlife v4.0.

The map will have the same basic gameplay as DayZ, you will run around looking for food, tools, weapons and ammunition to survive in a zombie infected Island region. It will have different game modes, different items such as weapons and tools and playable vehicles. It will be multiplayer with a total of 6 players who have to share and fight for limited resources on a 256*256 large map with a large variety of custom doodas in a atmospheric terrain.

Overall 30%
    Terrain 70%
    Triggers 5%
    Gameplay 5%

Map Statistics
    Size: 256x256
    Max Players: 6
    File Size: 5,2mb currently, maybe between 6-7mb when finished.

Features
    - Multiplayer
    - Multiply game modes
    - 3rd person view shooting system.
    - Custom inventory system adapted for the gameplay
    - Survival elements
    - Medium variety of items with unique abilities for all given situations
    - Vehicles such as Cars, Boats and Helicopter. (The two later ones will come in future updates)
    - Detailed environment and decorated houses that are wide open to explore and loot.

Images
    All these images are of the parts of the terrain I have done so far, they are still WIP but mostly done.

In-Game images (pre-Alpha)

Character Design

[​IMG]

Survivors will start off with normal clothing, if they manage to survive long enough they may find stronger weapons and even military protection gear.

Outdoor terrain

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the woods you can more easily hide from infected or hostile players while exploring the map.

Buildings

Market
    [​IMG]

Kitchen part of a house
    [​IMG]

Houses are key places for finding loot. Different type of houses will hold different kinds of loot like ex. a normal House will hold Food or Water while you can find hunting rifles and ammo in Forest Cabins or Farms.

They are also the most infected areas with zombies.

Night time and Nightvision

Nighttime
    [​IMG]

Nightvision During nighttime.
    [​IMG]

During the night your field of view will be restricted but can be improved by using the Nightvision item.

I am open for suggestions, feedback and questions. It will take some time before a beta comes out but my goal is to get a demo out before 2014 starts.

/EloTheMan

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  2. Sick

Sick

Resources:
    Resources:
    My Opinions/Suggestions on the Terrain -

I think a lot of zombie maps leave tons of open space unused by having the building doodads all over which are very large and take up a ton of space. So my suggestion is to instead of having buildings that take up space and are not realistically scaled use an imported wall doodad to create open rooms that players can move into and utilize.

Also making your own tiles or finding tiles will help give a better feel to the game. There are plenty of road tiles and modern city tiles out there.

Quick Example
    [​IMG]

I think that 256x256 will be much to large for a survival map, even though it sounds like a scavenger style survival map I find that too large of a map leads to drawn out gameplay and overwhelming new players. In my opinion players need to be introduced gradually to a game instead of being dropped right in the middle of it. I would suggest possibly considering taking elements from the popular survival map Survival 1.357 The main thing I'm talking about is the simple transition from stage to stage with bosses in between, not only does it allow new players to figure things out gradually, but also gives a more defined sense of progression which is for me anyway a great feeling to have my character progressed a lot through out the game. ​

My Opinions/Suggestions on Survival Games -

I like that you choose to loosely base it off of afterlife because that was a great map. I already mentioned one map that would be good to look at for ideas, but also I think you should take a look at Mage Seige which did not receive too much popularity, but none the less is a very fun map to play and has great elements similar to Afterlife. A game that may not seem so similar, but I feel could have many cool ideas to draw from is X Hero Siege although the elements in this map wont be too realistic for the zombie map; adding challenges does not always have to be moving to a different arena and fighting an enemy like in that map, but having bonus quests and objectives that can be taken on by your party will add a lot of depth to a survival game and can be realistic. Also bonus minigames of such would be really cool, but of course make the game a lot less realistic. But diverse gameplay I feel holds the players attention longer.​

There are my suggestions. I hope you find them useful.

3. DZerpic

DZerpic

Resources:
    Resources:
    @Sick: Regardig map size, you're right. I found myself overwhelmed by a mod because of their size and the different and new (to me) custom models and skins. Maybe he can make a smaller map to serve as an introduction to the game's mechanics and style.

4. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Some how I see this failing to beat Swat Aftermath... It is generally more fun destroying zombies with awesome heroes than running around cowering as some kind of incompetent person.

5. Levdragon

Levdragon

Resources:
    Resources:
    Love the idea and the map, I must follow this :).

@Sick, I do 100% agree with you only I think this map is more like DayZ rather then Project Zomboid (a game with open buildings). This is more of a go around and scavenge for supplies then maybe make a camp. Open houses would be cool but maybe are not suited to the idea of this map.

6. EloTheMan

EloTheMan

Resources:
    Resources:
    This map is going to rely on different game modes rather than one solid gameplay like the majority of maps have. So far I have come up with these but nothing is settled because I am still going over the possibilities and gameplay in them.

Survival Beginner - Survive against Zombie raids at night and scavenge during day on the western Island.
    Survival Pro - Survive against Zombie raids at night and scavenge during day all over the map. Includes more vehicles and stronger Zombies.
    Battle Royale - Survive all over the map against weak zombies, scavenging for items and fighting over resources against other players. Killing player gives points (and zombies less points) and whoever gains the most points wins the round. Auto Revive enabled but vehicles disabled.

I would want to make a identical DayZ gameplay but the fact that playing ffa on bnet or garena doesn't work very well unless you have friends with you, this leaves me with this type of gameplay or this map would directly flop. I can only take some basic elements out of it for now.

The total playable area is not 256x256 because the environment is Island type and has about 25% water around the land.
    [​IMG]
    I'm planning to connect the Western and South (Lighthouse) Islands together to give a bit more room for the Survival Beginner mode. As the other images, this is also a WIP.

I wanted to make 1:1 scale houses which you can walk in too like they sort of did in AfterLife 4.0 but I remember that we rarely walked in to those areas because they took a lot of time and were solid deathtraps, its about keeping the players moving around the map looking for items instead of wasting time checking out houses. The buildings in the city are about 1:1,2 to 1:2 in scale along with the vehicles so its not a completely unrealistic environment.

On another note, there will be a charged item so that you can revive a dead teammate within ~45 seconds to keep the survival modes going round after round as long as everybody works as a team and doesn't completely wipe. This will hopefully enable more aggressive gameplay and teamwork.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  7. EloTheMan

EloTheMan

Resources:
    Resources:
    Quick update :D
    with some info on the terrain and an other game mode.

First the terrain, I've merged the two small islands in to one and they are both conected to the main island via a bridge.
    [​IMG]

And I finally managed to import two new tiles in to the map after some trouble dealing with JNGP. :p
    City Square WIP with new tiles
    [​IMG]

I personally think the atmosphere increased by three-four times after adding the new tiles in the city and there is still a lot of planned stuff I am going to add in there. More custom doodas to replace standard models and to fill up empty spaces + Zombie creeps wandering around.

Even though there is a lot of terraining left to do the map is taking shape pretty fast now. :)

Game Mode update:
    DayZ Mode: This mode will revolve around surviving on your own for as long as you can, there is no respawn.

It will not be part of the main modes which are currently Survival Beginner and Survival Pro and is meant as a little twist to this map.

8. Sick

Sick

Resources:
    Resources:
    wow yeah the tiles add a lot :) I would get rid of the standard warcraft 3 boxes doodads though because they don't fit in well at all with the imported doodads.

9. GhostThruster

GhostThruster

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Brutally honest but the terrain is laughably bad.
    >too flat
    >roads are too perfect
    >too bright atmosphere
    >building models are too low quality, and clash with the tiles
    >car models and doodads are too cartoony, and clash with everything
    >fire looks unrealistic
    >streets are too clean. Wheres the rubbish/public chairs/water hydrants/fences/broken traffic lights/telegraph poles?

Suggestions based off this critique:
    >put a small amount of height variation. Not too much. No street is perfectly flat, but nor are streets as bumpy as a crocodile's back.
    >the road tileset you are using has potholes and cracked asphalt. Use it.
    >there are several ways to make your map darker, eg. permanent night type, artificial lighting, terrain fog.
    >take sick's suggestion, make buildings enter-able.
    >find some better fighting models with more gritty textures.
    >download a custom fire model that looks more realistic.
    >scatter some street doodads around.

IMO the terrain in a map is very important, because it allows one to be absorbed into the game world. Playing your map with the current terrain, even if your map is really fun, just wouldn't make me feel like I was actually in a gritty, realistic zombie apocalypse.

10. EloTheMan

EloTheMan

Resources:
    Resources:
    Thanks for your reply, and yeah I admit that the terrain doesn't looks quite so good yet. xD
    Its a work in progress and there is so much left to be done in the terrain like for example finding correct models which can be a major problem for modern maps. Some of your points are planned to be added, its just that I haven't come that far.

>take sick's suggestion, make buildings enter-able.
    Its nice to have 1:1 scale enter-able houses, but they can affect the game-play a lot in a negative and a positive way. But I guess I should add them in anyway and see how it goes.

>find some better fighting models with more gritty textures.
    Do you mean zombie models or the player model?

Just replaced them with this one, gonna import some nice modern barrels soon. ;)

11. Code_Name_XXX

Code_Name_XXX

Resources:
    Resources:

So you like DayZ? WELL I LIKE IT TO! I will give an advice in-game because I bought it and now I'am playing it on Steam. My suggest is that the player can drive cars, eat, and sometimes- condition like in water can make the body temperature to go low and can be restored by walking or if near a fire. Simply way that he can have sickness.

12. Diazz0229

Diazz0229

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  13. BandolXD

BandolXD

Resources:
    Resources:
    When this will release?
    Read
    Because I want to play that nice map !

:grin:

14. EloTheMan

EloTheMan

Resources:
    Resources:
    Several elements from Day-Z will be part of this map, however they will not be as complicated and some mechanics like swimming, temperature, campfire, will not be included due to the limits of the warcraft general gameplay line and engine limits.

Here is a few planned mechanics.
    -Bleeding will start whenever your character takes damage and can be stopped by bandage.
    -Fatigue will struck your character whenever he gets low on health or when he gets hungry. The mana bar will indicate "hunger", if it reaches 0 you will slowly loose health too. When a character is fatigued he will move slower.
    -If a character passes out he can be brought back to life with an Epi-Pen, if the character passes out due to low health it wont save his life completely, it will only wake him up.
    -Nightvision, Flashlight and Flares, nightime will be very limited in vision in the DayZ Mode and will reguire the use of different items to give a decent vision. Flashlight and Flares will however attract zombies, who will otherwise only notice you if you walk straight up to them.
    -Sneak will make it harder for zombies to notice you, but you will move slower.

Progress is very slow atm, I'm currently working on the terrain and planning on the gameplay (systems and stuff that are going to be included).

The main reason for things going slowly is model hunting for this genre is not the easiest thing to do, But I'm starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel and I will start posting some progress again soon when things are in order.

15. BandolXD

BandolXD

Resources:
    Resources:
    Can I be a Beta Tester for your Project?

16. EloTheMan

EloTheMan

Resources:
    Resources:
    Beta testing is far far away. :p

But I think I'm gonna run with private beta once its playable and one open beta before the eventual release.
    If you are in northern Europe you can participate in the private Beta.

17. DragonStick

DragonStick

Resources:
    Resources:
    will this map able to use -save or -load??

18. EloTheMan

EloTheMan

Resources:
    Resources:
    Its feature that is being considered. However it will not work the same way as in DayZ, when you log out and log in and you still have the same equipment, that way a player can gather up good items and reload his character if he loses those items due to the way wc3 works.

It will most likely be somewhat similar to Paranoia's system, when you get some perks the more you play. I will use the regular exp system for this, and you will be given a choice between different perks. (=talents)
    The perks will be more effective for the DayZ mode but they will be somehwat useful for the other modes as well.

There are a few perks I've come up with so far:
    -Scavenger, chance of getting more food out of wild animals. (Passive)
    -Traveler, you will start with a small backpack.
    -Hunter, you will start with a hunting knife.
    -Conservation, food will last longer after you eat it. (Passive)
    -Explorer, you will start with a flashlight.

These perks will take effect at the start of a round except for passive ones, you will be given the option to load your character at the beginning of the game.

19. BandolXD

BandolXD

Resources:
    Resources:
    Umm, I want to know if your project is Survival (it have a time to survive/level) or it is like my Project that need to survive living a life with a full of zombie XP (it don't have a survival time it will be just a Save/Load game.)

20. Lordkoon

Lordkoon

Resources:
    Resources:
    I bet that's what Capcom thought when they fucked up the ResidentEvil franchise from a mystery/horror to a pure action with almost-superhero like characters.

It was way more fun to have a gun with 2 bullets and a knife against 5 zombies.

Good luck on the project. Survival map is rather refreshing among all those RPGs going on.