• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Winter is Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Winter is Coming

This is a map based off of a Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin. The plot, in short, is that the king is dead, and war has begun (takes place roughly near the end of the first book if you've read them-if you haven't read this far in the series, there might be spoilers ahead).

You take control of one major House of the continent (with the exception of the Mountain Clans, who aren't technically a house), and try to destroy your enemies, though I'm not sure what the ultimate victory condition will be. Each faction will hopefully have its own gameplay-some Houses are much more powerful than others, however, the weaker ones are going to have some other advantages to make it possible for them to succeed. And, like in the books, straight up power won't be the only way to win. You can ally or declare war with anyone (with only a few exceptions), so for weaker Houses especially, backstabbing will be a good way to get power. Two thirds of the factions start out at war, and the other third neutral.

There will also be some special events/findables, but not too many that it interferes too much with gameplay.

Factions:
House Stark-House Stark starts out with the most heroes, demis, and cities, but controls the largest area of land (meaning that it's the hardest to defend. Although their "deathtrap" at Moat Cailin defends from landbased attacks, House Stark is vulnerable to attack from the water. The Starks' northern castles and cities provide some of the best cavalry and melee infantry. House Stark starts out allied with House Tully and at war with House Lannister and King Joffrey.
House Frey-One of the weaker factions, House Frey controls a main river crossing connecting the north to the riverlands. House Frey also controls a decent amount of wealth, and a sizable army for it's small territorial holdings. Their best chance lies in the fact that their position makes them a useful ally both to the Starks and Tullys, or enemies of the Starks and Tullys.
House Tully-The main House of the riverlands, this faction is one of the major Houses, although they are weaker than the nearby Lannisters. They start out allied to House Stark, and at war with the Lannisters and King Joffrey.
King Joffrey of the Seven Kingdoms-Technically the king, Joffrey's reign is plagued by rebellion. King's Landing is one of the largest cities on the continent, and the master of coin, Petyr Baelish, ensures that the King will have plenty of gold to spend on crushing his enemies. The King is allied with House Lannister, and at war with Houses Tully, Stark, Tyrell, and Baratheon (both brothers) at the start.
House Lannister-One of the strongest Houses, the Lannisters control the westerlands. The Lannisters are the only faction at the start that can field longbowman, which are the most powerful (and one of the best) archers. The Lannisters are also the richest House with the most starting gold income. They start out in position to attack the riverlands, which they are at war with. The Lannisters also start out allied with King Joffrey, and at war with Houses Stark, Tyrell, and Baratheon as well as House Tully.
House Martell-House Martell controls Dorne at the southern end of the continent. Although their army is small compared to that of most major Houses, they have excellent cavalry and excell at ambushes. At the start, they are one of the major balancing factors in the game as they stand ready to attack House Tyrell or Renly Baratheon if those two immediately attack the Lannisters and King.
House Tyrell-House Tyrell controls the reach and has the largest army of any House. They are also one of the richest, but the Greyjoys and Martells are poised to attack if their borders are left unguarded. House Tyrell starts out at war with House Lannister, King Joffrey, and Mountain Clans, and is allied with Renly Baratheon.
Renly Baratheon-Renly Baratheon conrols the stormlands, which can field a moderate army. Renly starts out allied with House Tyrell, and at war with the Lannisters, King Joffrey, and Mountain Clans.
House Greyjoy-The resident pirate faction, the Greyjoys homeland is the Iron Islands, off the coast of the Westerlands. They also have the strongest navy, and excell at attacking coasts and pillaging, although alone they cannot stand up to most houses in a full scale battle.
House Arryn-House Arryn controls the Vale of Arryn, and has several excellent defensive positions and strong cavalry. They are one of the most powerful neutral factions at the start, and could easily decide starting conflicts. They start out at war with the Mountain Clans.
Stannis Baratheon-Stannis Baratheon controls Dragonstone and several nearby islands. His army is relatively small and his navy only decent. However, the hero Melisandre has several nasty powers. Stannis starts out at war with the Lannisters, King Joffrey, and Mountain Clans.
Mountain Clans-The mountain clans in the Mountains of the Moon have been the enemies of House Arryn for ages, and only survive by hiding and avoiding open conflict. However, as scavengers, they excell at pillaging and their units will improve the more that they kill. With their allegiance bought with promises of weapons, the clans have agreed to follow Tyrion Lannister and aid his family in their struggles. The Mountain Clans start out allied with the Lannisters and King Joffrey and at war with House Arryn and all the other enemies of the Lannisters and Joffrey.

Income will depend on the amount of cities/castles/other special buildings controlled, and unit spawns will be customizable (you get to choose what you spawn at each city/castle you control).

A note on screenshots-I tend to do the castles/towns first, and then terrain the rest of the map. So if terrain outside of the bases looks bland, thats why.

Screenshots of the North:

Bear Island:
Bear_Island1b.jpg

Torrhen's Square:
Torrhens_Square1c.jpg

Moat Cailin:
Moat_Cailin1b.jpg

Deepwood Motte:
Deepwood_Motte1c.jpg

Greywater Watch:
Greywater_Watch1b.jpg

Last Hearth:
Last_Hearth1b.jpg

Winterfell:
Winterfell1c.jpg

The Dreadfort:
Dreadfort1a-1.jpg

Last edited:
Level 1
*bump* maybe someone will reply this time...

Screenshots of the Riverlands, Part 1 (more to come later if anyone shows interest)

The Twins:

The_Twins1a.jpg

Level 1
Yeah I should have mentioned that-my screenshots for now are showing the bases-for the most part, I haven't done much with the outside terrain yet (because terraining bases is funner). I'll do the outside terrain after all the bases are done.

Level 40
I personally think the most recent one looks a little weird without a capital building.. thing

Oh, by the way, it'd be interesting if you made some more "generic" towns (not in style but in idea) that players could capture (freebies at first, but once someone gets one you'll have to fight for it)

Level 1
In the last pic, the scout tower modeled-buildings are the capital buildings. East Twin, and West Twin. And about the towns idea-I did think of adding them in, but I'll have to see what the doodad count is after all the other terraining is done. If its under 7000 I might add some neutral towns.

Level 1
Hmm...interesting idea, I just don't know if I want to have that many extra units, so people can have bigger armies instead. If it was a smaller map I'd probably do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.