• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft: A New Dawn & Jay Wilson leaves Diablo III team

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hive's first and only Starcraft II hosted project Warcraft: A New Dawn has recently drawn some attention:
PC Gamer has published an article featuring the grandiose work, in which it praises the team's dedication to such a massive project.

PC Gamer is a PC games magazine, along with a popular news site - pcgamer.com

In other news, Warcraft: A New Dawn's website has also been updated, so be sure to check it out! (It contains lo~ts of info)

178091-albums5176-picture65040.png
Jay Wilson leaves Diablo III team

Diablo III's Game Director Jay Wilson has decided to leave the Diablo III team behind, according to a thread posted by himself on the Diablo III forums.
He will not be leaving Blizzard Entertainment, he simply states that he thinks it's time for him to move on to other projects and that is why he is being re-positioned on another Blizzard project.
The position of Game Director is currently being discussed, so there may eventually be a job opening for it in the near future.
Thanks to Edhel-dur for reporting this.

To close it off, the 2012 News Batch is still being worked on and will be published this month. Until then, happy hiving~.

Level 14
I just wonder if after 7 years of D3, he just ran out of ideas for D3 or not. I mean, working on the same product for 7 years, just taking it slow till finally you have the game shipped, and not being able to produce the game at a faster pace... wouldn't that take a toll on his energy and creativity?!

Level 14
So you're saying Blizzard thinks Jay Wilson did a fantastic job and the only reason for moving him is that he needs to do a fantastic job on another project?

I doubt it, but I don't want to argue it. Rather wait and see.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
They offered him another position which he personally choose over his existing position. Seeing as Blizzard is an American company and Diablo III was one of the biggest sucesses of all times there is no reason they would do anything negative to him (everyone professional knows the 1% of people that complain are idiots).

Whether it is because he wanted less hate towards him or because he always wanted that sort of project is another question.

Level 11
We will see... I would like to see a new project as Dr Super Good said, but not a project where they will be making something similar to Starcraft or WoW. I would like to a new RTS like Warcraft was... and since they probably know what kind of popularity the Warcraft New Dawn is getting they see that making a new Warcraft will not be a failure at all... I just think they care for money as always, but that is just me... I don't say I do not like their work, I just say that they are making games like WoW just so they can take more money than regular game companies do... many follow them thou...

If on the other hand they decide to make something like a RTS WC I would be curious how will everything go since WoW quite ruined the story... the epic story we had in WC3 wont come back and that is all I care for not the god damn online play and gameplay overall but just to make Azeroth come to life as It did when I played the game before...

As for the Warcraft New Dawn, I wish the guys all the luck they can get and I will support them as much as I can, I am just curious what do they plan to do with UI and overall lock of the Interface and Lightning on the map...

Level 20
The latest video has really, really thrown us out there. It's literally gone viral.
It's quite scary really, but it's endearing too, to know that there are so many out there who share the same wishes - to see a continuation to the Warcraft RTS series, whether that's through this mod, another one or Blizzard themselves.

We do plan to change the UI and everything else to the point where it should hopefully make you forget you're playing inside Starcraft II... But we'll see :)
A long way to go yet!

Level 11
The latest video has really, really thrown us out there. It's literally gone viral.
It's quite scary really, but it's endearing too, to know that there are so many out there who share the same wishes - to see a continuation to the Warcraft RTS series, whether that's through this mod, another one or Blizzard themselves.

We do plan to change the UI and everything else to the point where it should hopefully make you forget you're playing inside Starcraft II... But we'll see :)
A long way to go yet!

Do not worry, If you really wish to do it, you will and we will be with you and support you in your efforts. I do not like Starcraft I must say so It is very good that you plan to remake the whole game.

I just want that some company helps you in your efforts, just like Dota got 'helped' by Valve (well not helped realy but...).

So yea, good luck guys and thank you for this awesome mod ;)

Level 15
Please keep the good work, it's evolving greatly :D

I suggest to keep a regular evolution and "try" to move fast, I remember the famous project revolution which aimed to emulate starcraft in WC3, it was one of the greatest mods and it was fucked up by the same blizzard with SC2. Just to no repeat the history.

Good luck!!!

Level 11
The variety in Warcraft III will always be far larger, but the problem is that a Warcraft mod also needs doodads and buildings.

Not just that, I'm sure that now they cant' release their own 'Dota', or at least not at that name like Valve could. Valve bought Dota from IceFrog (The Dota creator).

As I said I think that the dude that worked on Diablo has been moved to a new project, what will that project be is yet to be seen... as I love Warcraft universe more instead of Starcraft one, I would like to see it restored to its former glory and not ruined by another RPG or MMORPG like WoW...

Level 3
Please keep the good work, it's evolving greatly :D
it was one of the greatest mods and it was fucked up by the same blizzard with SC2. Just to no repeat the history.

Nonsense.. 'fucked up'. SC2 was known to exist as early as 2007, when the first trailer/intro and screenshots appeared. It was expected to come in 2009 afair, it later became clear they would not finish it in 2009. For that time one had plenty of time to recreate something, for the time until SC2 was released. Then it was needless cause you could get the actual game when released.

I think they will not do another Warcraft RTS any time soon but if someone made an accurate War3 map with not just terrain, UI and models but also balance, gameplay the same as war3, I am sure lots of us former war3ers would play it.

Status
Not open for further replies.