• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft 3 OR Starcraft 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
I recently(about 3 months ago) just bought Starcraft II WoL, and HotS.
When I first started the campaign I was of course super excited!, I quit Warcraft 3 and for 3 months raged on Starcraft 2, I finished both campaigns in Normal, Hard and Brutal.. I tried some Arcade.. And yet, after doing all this, I simply don't feel the warmth of Warcraft 3 and its vivid mods(maps, campaigns) available..

Don't get me wrong, I love Starcraft series and I love Starcraft 2, but as much as I'm into that lore and story, it isn't as warm as Warcrafts's lore is (I'm excluding WoW, I never liked WoW. Ever).
So my question is this:

Which game brings you more excitement, joy and most important of all, which game makes you go INTO it - like get really into the story?.

I don't really play SCII for story, in a deep sense, even while playing the campaign I was only looking at the broader level of the story not on it's details... and I mostly play it because I want the Sci-Fi RTS feel of it, especially commanding large armies of Marines...

I used to be really excited playing wc3, but right now, I can't seem to get much into it...

Level 34
Warcraft for sure. I'm more of a fan of high fantasy than sci-fi. As well, as far as sci-fi goes, Starcraft's story isn't actually one I find all that interesting, whereas Warcraft is one of my favorite universes in all genres of fiction.

Also the high fantasy lends itself to modding better for some reason. Can't quite put my finger on it though.

I do play a fair bit of SC2 though, especially arcade. The editor for SC2 is far superior, that's for sure.

Level 9
I will go both. S2 has the graphics, while W3 has the lore.
Man, if you take the S2 grahics and put it in W3.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Lmfao @wc3, ancient game with dead player base and crappy mechanics along with 12 max selection and chunky pathing. Great campaign and editor though ^^

Sc2 ftw! A game in which I fancy to ladder and spend multiple hours a week onto.

Level 16
Woow so many replies, I didn't expect that much ^_^.
I don't really play SCII for story, in a deep sense, even while playing the campaign I was only looking at the broader level of the story not on it's details... and I mostly play it because I want the Sci-Fi RTS feel of it, especially commanding large armies of Marines...
Yes well that's exactly my thoughts as well!, as much as I enjoyed the creative way of game mechanics, it still comes down to a simple macro RTS, with not much else to do around.

Warcraft for sure. I'm more of a fan of high fantasy than sci-fi. As well, as far as sci-fi goes, Starcraft's story isn't actually one I find all that interesting, whereas Warcraft is one of my favorite universes in all genres of fiction.

Well it's funny but I am a fan of fantasy, and sci-fi fantasy in an even level!, So I can understand how you'd be more into Warcraft3, but I can only come up with reasons such as: "Simply the lore is better" for Warcraft 3 for myself. :)

I will go both. S2 has the graphics, while W3 has the lore.
Man, if you take the S2 grahics and put it in W3.
I should've mentioned no graphics comparison as that is of course a very wide difference between the two :)

As Adiktuz said the fantasy theme gives more ideas for modding.
Well why are people not willing to make lore-wise campaigns/mods for Starcraft 2? I think the community that really appreciates games is mostly on Warcraft 3, while the people that only want to ladder, and love mechanics, are into Starcraft 2.

Like nhs325 said, if they only merge both of these into 1 game (properly).
If only it could... If only it could. But I see it as impossible right now.
Lmfao @wc3, ancient game with dead player base and crappy mechanics along with 12 max selection and chunky pathing. Great campaign and editor though ^^
Sc2 ftw! A game in which I fancy to ladder and spend multiple hours a week onto.
But imagine if Warcraft had the engine of Starcraft 2? Would that change your answer? :)

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

But imagine if Warcraft had the engine of Starcraft 2? Would that change your answer? :)
oh god... *comes* XD

Level 34
Starcraft 2 Engine really isn't impressive in my opinion. It's already getting really dated, and it was mediocre at best when it came out.

Wc3 in Cry Engine... I might reconsider if that happens

Well why are people not willing to make lore-wise campaigns/mods for Starcraft 2?

Because that is still Sci-Fi, even if it's lore-wise, you would still put your own touch to it. and maybe they're busy playing ladder games

Personally I find it boring to create a map based on the lore of the game.

My preference is definitely Warcraft 3 for the rich lore, I liked a lot of the interesting ideas they used in the SCII campaigns, but I just didn't feel as invested into the campaign, really I felt SCII as much more of a completionist objective - given all the achievements included. After that, I never felt an urge to replay those campaigns (heck I didn't feel invested enough to even bother getting most the WoL achievements, while getting all of the HoTS ones).

Warcraft 3 definitely had the kind of campaigns I could happily sit down and marathon through a few more times, even though there would be no extra reward, which for me is a sign of a better game.

Wc3 as I'm able to mess with the editor so well and is fun for me to do so.
The graphics for the game can become pretty damn impressive if you know how to sketch well with it.
This being that I have (basically) everything I want with it's coding capabilities and the terrain editor is very well done.
Surely alot of things can be tweaked and fixed for it to be better, but I'm still happy with it.

I like to think Sc2 for more only of it's strategy side and nothing else.
I don't have the kind of time to spend to enjoy what it has to offer, although I did end up messing with it alot before
and the options that come with the terrain editor are quite nice with the resources that also came with it(doodads etc).
(ended up loosing the map I was working on).
Wonder if I will ever spend much time with it...

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Starcraft 2 Engine really isn't impressive in my opinion. It's already getting really dated, and it was mediocre at best when it came out

You're referring to small system requirements?
If it was more demanding, it could easily lose players.

Status
Not open for further replies.