1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Warcraft 3 in Windows 10 OS

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Tutorials' started by A Void, Aug 28, 2015.

1. StoPCampinGn00b

StoPCampinGn00b

Community Manager

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    See if it works if you run it as admin.

2. Zhall

Zhall

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thanks, seems to have worked.

I swear i tried that.

3. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Running in administrator in the long run is asking for problems. One malicious map with an undisclosed exploit and your computer could be toast.

Zhall I am guessing your install folder does not have write permission with your user account. You should be able to fix this like all permission problems by finding the folder, right clicking, going to properties and then modifying permissions in there. You need to make sure your user account has full control over the Warcraft III folder and all sub folders and files.

4. Darkshooter1986

Darkshooter1986

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well I believe the only reason I run in admin or have to is that it is in my progam files (x86) folder. Im sure that placing it somewhere else will work better.

5. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Mine is also in that folder. So that is not a problem. Once again, you just need to make sure that single folder (Warcraft III) has full control permission for your user account.

6. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    This is now obsolete with the release of todays patch. Warcraft III no longer needs to be run in OpenGL mode or use some hacky DLL.

I would advise people remove the DLL. There is a good chance it could trigger anti-hack detection in Warcraft III as it causes a dependency to not match a signed system dll like it expects.

A reasonably correct gamma setting is 2.2 (setting 44?). Gamma is not brightness/darkness as the option hints but rather color correction since darkest and brightest colors are not affected by gamma.

7. A Void

A Void

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You failed to mention that gamma is not fixed in windows mode. Besides, this thread is about giving support for Windows 10 not about gamma alone.

I will still be using this solution, because Blizzard's one is still crap compared to this.

8. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    It ever worked in Windowed mode? Not even in OpenGL mode does gamma work in Windowed mode.

The reason for this is that the gamma is applied by the GPU to display output in a separate color profile stage completely unrelated to how the display image was composed. If running in windowed mode the game is forced to use the desktop color profile, which by default assumes the pixel values are sRGB so does not perform any correction (stuck at gamma 1.0). If the option did work it would raise the gamma of the entire desktop and break any loaded color profiles which is something worse than just not working.

The fix requires a programmable pixel shader be used to add a gamma correction stage to the composed images independent of the display color profile.

EDIT:
    Warcraft III no longer uses D3D8 hence the D3D8 related stuff now does nothing. That said it now uses D3D9 so the previously pointless D3D9 stuff now applies. As far as I am aware the D3D9 implementation of Windows 10 is not buggy in the way the D3D8 one is so I am not sure if there is a reason to do this anymore.

9. A Void

A Void

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    To forgot that this has two .dll included. One is 9 and the other 8.

Edit: Regardless, this solution is no longer supported or needed. Windows 10 compatibility was greatly improved in Patch 1.27a.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  10. Aravarth

Aravarth

Resources:
    Resources:
    Even after installing either the K-Lite Codec Pack (now version 12.1.8) or the LAV Filters codec pack, I still get blown out cinematic colours. Is there any way to square this away so they appear as they are supposed to?

EDIT: I'm also running dual monitors, and when I go to cinematics, it looks to put the cinematics in the middle of both of my monitors. Is this contributing to the problem?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  11. John Meurer

John Meurer

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hi thanks for all your help, I have tried the dll files, to the xp compatibility modes, to the 1.27a patch, and nothing has worked, same deal, when you reinstall it works for a month or two, then back to unplayable lag, I 'm thinking that my only solution to play this wonderful game again, will be behind VMware on xp

12. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Since the latest patch the game works perfectly on Windows 10. No fake (bad) dll files are needed. No compatibility mode needed. No run as administrator needed (if you give correct permission over install folder).

13. John Meurer

John Meurer

Resources:
    Resources:
    Thanks I'll try again, could you please explain about the permissions, mines just default, are there certain permissions to grant for what file?

14. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    The WC3 installation folder should be recursively granted full control permission for your user account.

15. blancfaye7

blancfaye7

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    This is not only happening in Warcraft III. It also happens in my games that needs directx9. A 2D game with 40FPS? You gotta be kidding me.
    I have a small bug fix though, in which I really don't know what it's causing to speed up and act normally.

1. Run Nox App Emulator (An android emulator, which SHOULD REALLY SLOW DOWN MY COMPUTER SINCE IT'S HEAVY)
    2. Run my game.
    3. 60 FPS constant!!!

Closing my emulator down brings back 40 FPS.

Garena can let you modify start-up parameters. maybe use that.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  16. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Sounds like a driver bug. If you are using a laptop it might use the wrong graphic card (if multiple) or be running the GPU in a low power state to save energy.

You can also modify the startup by adding command line parameters to a shortcut.

17. blancfaye7

blancfaye7

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It is a laptop with multiple graphics card. I can't remember much about the settings and power saver thingy because it was long ago. Now I have Windows 8 again because I was very frustrated at Windows 10.

Which is why Garena has this option too; the game is being launched via the client by inputting the path, and the said parameters. Not sure though if it is the same 'start up parameters'.

18. PurgeandFire

PurgeandFire

Code Moderator

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    @A Void Looks like the video in the main post is missing. :( Could you update it?

19. A Void

A Void

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Done.

20. karaulov

karaulov

Resources:
    Tools: