• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft 3 in Windows 10 OS

Level 1
Hi thanks for all your help, I have tried the dll files, to the xp compatibility modes, to the 1.27a patch, and nothing has worked, same deal, when you reinstall it works for a month or two, then back to unplayable lag, I 'm thinking that my only solution to play this wonderful game again, will be behind VMware on xp

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Hi thanks for all your help, I have tried the dll files, to the xp compatibility modes, to the 1.27a patch, and nothing has worked, same deal, when you reinstall it works for a month or two, then back to unplayable lag, I 'm thinking that my only solution to play this wonderful game again, will be behind VMware on xp
Since the latest patch the game works perfectly on Windows 10. No fake (bad) dll files are needed. No compatibility mode needed. No run as administrator needed (if you give correct permission over install folder).

Level 1
Since the latest patch the game works perfectly on Windows 10. No fake (bad) dll files are needed. No compatibility mode needed. No run as administrator needed (if you give correct permission over install folder).
Thanks I'll try again, could you please explain about the permissions, mines just default, are there certain permissions to grant for what file?

Level 9
What does this have to do with this...

The installer should not be able to run as it was never designed for Windows 10.

EDIT:

I am also getting bad performance in game with WC3 in Windows 10 as other people have reported. It would be interesting to know why this is happening.

Of interest is the reported frame rate. It often spikes to "62 FPS" instead of anchoring at 60-59.9 FPS. I am guessing the game is being run in some sort of pseudo Windowed Full Screen mode for resource sharing as part of the DX12 API and the new windowing frame work.

EDIT 2:
To clarify, only d3d8.dll is used. WC3 does not use d3d9.dll so you should not bundle it with. Further more WC3 behaves as intended when running d3d8.dll you provided but breaks with the d3d8.dll Windows 10 comes with. I will look into this problem.

EDIT 3:
I am not sure your d3d8.dll is safe? It is from some Russian site and claims it is a wrapper for d3d9 and it created a batch file in the WC3 installation folder. In any case that is a hacky solution.

The d3d8.dll used comes from the SysWOW64 folder (System 32 only if using 32bit Windows 10). I tried substituting back in the one used by Windows 7 (from the same folder) but the dll is incompatible with Windows 10 (WC3 throws DirectX not installed error).

As such d3d8.dll in Windows 10 is different from Windows 7. The big question is what is different with it to be causing the problems.

This is not only happening in Warcraft III. It also happens in my games that needs directx9. A 2D game with 40FPS? You gotta be kidding me.
I have a small bug fix though, in which I really don't know what it's causing to speed up and act normally.

1. Run Nox App Emulator (An android emulator, which SHOULD REALLY SLOW DOWN MY COMPUTER SINCE IT'S HEAVY)
2. Run my game.
3. 60 FPS constant!!!

Closing my emulator down brings back 40 FPS.

I see..thanks for the advice, I kinda thought that may have been the case.. too bad the dll also didnt work for me because it seems RGC doesnt allow any modification to the wc3 folder, it automatically deletes it when I hit the start WC3 button. guess I'm stuck with this for now
Garena can let you modify start-up parameters. maybe use that.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
This is not only happening in Warcraft III. It also happens in my games that needs directx9. A 2D game with 40FPS? You gotta be kidding me.
I have a small bug fix though, in which I really don't know what it's causing to speed up and act normally.

1. Run Nox App Emulator (An android emulator, which SHOULD REALLY SLOW DOWN MY COMPUTER SINCE IT'S HEAVY)
2. Run my game.
3. 60 FPS constant!!!

Closing my emulator down brings back 40 FPS.
Sounds like a driver bug. If you are using a laptop it might use the wrong graphic card (if multiple) or be running the GPU in a low power state to save energy.

Garena can let you modify start-up parameters. maybe use that.
You can also modify the startup by adding command line parameters to a shortcut.

Level 9
Sounds like a driver bug. If you are using a laptop it might use the wrong graphic card (if multiple) or be running the GPU in a low power state to save energy.

It is a laptop with multiple graphics card. I can't remember much about the settings and power saver thingy because it was long ago. Now I have Windows 8 again because I was very frustrated at Windows 10.

You can also modify the startup by adding command line parameters to a shortcut.
Which is why Garena has this option too; the game is being launched via the client by inputting the path, and the said parameters. Not sure though if it is the same 'start up parameters'.

Level 1
Alright I have been trying to trouble shoot an issue that I have been running into for the past few months and no matter what I do I cannot seem to fix it. I know this is an old thread, Hell its an ancient thread but I am at my wits end. I am was a very avid custom campaign creator and haven't had a chance to dive back in to WE until recently on my new set up. Only problem seems to be my Editor will not start stating that it is missing mss32.dll file. I have uninstalled and reinstalled, I have uninstalled and reset my computer even to see if there were conflicting files and programs that mess with Battle.net games. in completely stock computer using only the battle.net launcher I downloaded W3 and yet still it will not start claiming that the file is not present and it will not start. Is there any way I can fix this short of buying something other than an HP?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Only problem seems to be my Editor will not start stating that it is missing mss32.dll file.
mss32.dll is the Miles Sound System 32 library.

I suggest using the 1.30 PTR for now as that has decoupled from Miles Sound System library in replace for a more modern alternative which will obviously fix this problem completely. Once 1.30 PTR goes live (few weeks max?) you can switch back to release.
in completely stock computer using only the battle.net launcher I downloaded W3 and yet still it will not start claiming that the file is not present and it will not start. Is there any way I can fix this short of buying something other than an HP?
The library is meant to be provided by Blizzard, it has nothing to do with OEM or Microsoft.

If you really need it, I have attached a copy of the one Warcraft III is meant to come with prior to version 1.30. The digital signature on it should be SHA1 from Blizzard Entertainment. This particular file was created on my computer in 2009 which would be when I installed Warcraft III onto my current computer from original retail discs purchased in the UK. Installing the file should be as simple as extracting it into the Warcraft III install folder next to the game and editor executables. In older versions of Warcraft III there was a separate library folder to place it in but this was removed with a patch in 2016. This mss32.dll must only be used to fix a mss32.dll is missing error with Warcraft III and its accompanying World Edit, it will not work for any other application. It might also work only for UK/US locales of Warcraft III, however it should work for other locales as well as I do not see a reason for that file to be localized.

Do note that generally downloading and using dll files from the internet is not a secure practice as people may have injected them with malware. Especially ones like mss32.dll which were used by thousands of games are the perfect target for malware authors to trick people with your error into infecting their computers.

Attachments

• Mss32.zip
    146.8 KB · Views: 330

pyf

pyf

Level 32
[...] If you really need it, I have attached a copy of the one Warcraft III is meant to come with prior to version 1.30. The digital signature on it should be SHA1 from Blizzard Entertainment. This particular file was created on my computer in 2009 which would be when I installed Warcraft III onto my current computer from original retail discs purchased in the UK. [...]
The digitally signed version of Mss32.dll v6.1d was first introduced with Patch 1.27b in December 2016.

[...] In older versions of Warcraft III there was a separate library folder to place it in but this was removed with a patch in 2016. [...]
I can not remember which one it is.

After Patch 1.27b has been installed, the folders redist\miles\ (and their contents) are still there on Windows XP.

miles redist.png

Level 1
Thank you Doctor Super good I was very nervous about just downloading it from anywhere, somehow everything worked out when I started it in safemode and was able to place the mss32.dll file you provided with no issues, and after a quick reboot it seems to be running smoothly. Thanks to everyone for the help! I have been trouble shooting for a good two weeks!

pyf

pyf

Level 32
[...] I [...] haven't had a chance to dive back in to WE until recently on my new set up. Only problem seems to be my Editor will not start stating that it is missing mss32.dll file. I have uninstalled and reinstalled, I have uninstalled and reset my computer [...]. in completely stock computer using only the battle.net launcher I downloaded W3 and yet still it will not start claiming that the file is not present and it will not start. [...]
@Arkhanglesk: Out of curiosity, which version and locale of the game were you using, before downloading / updating it with the Battle.net launcher?
[...] somehow everything worked out when I started it in safemode [...]
Is there any reason to start your computer in safe mode?

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
when I open Warcraft 3 on windows 10..the screen appears black but I can hear THE SOUND..ANY HELP?
What version of Warcraft III are you trying to run? Is it the latest version from BattleNet?

If so then what graphic mode are you trying to start? Reforged? Classic? Reforged requires quite a modern and high powered computer to start and run properly. Classic should run on any computer that meets the minimum requirements and possibly some just below.

DxDiag listing might help.

Level 8
Using that file gives my wc3 unable to run the app, it errors. I just run it in shortcut then add -nativefullscr to the target shortcut. I put graphicsapi Direct3D9 along with -nativefullscr it still works like this...
"D:\Games\Warcraft III\Warcraft III.exe" -graphicsapi Direct3D9 -nativefullscr
and still run fine and some unabled apps can now be function like the gamma.