1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Warcraft 3 in Windows 10 OS

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Tutorials' started by A Void, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Alprazolam

Alprazolam

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm having the same issue in Wc3..
    Espacially when alot of units are coming together and if alot of players have more items, talking about dota..

this pretty much sucks, since my old laptop did its job at 60 fps..

@DrSuperGood..

Did you look into te problem yet?
    I have been searching about this issue, with no avail sadly...

2. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I could not find any documented Windows 10 changes to legacy Direct3D support. I am guessing it has something to do with DirectX 8 being old and DirectX 12 being very different from DirectX 11.

The only real solution currently is to use the "-opengl" command line option as OpenGL does not appear to be affected by this.

3. Alprazolam

Alprazolam

Resources:
    Resources:
    So i have to start the game up with this thicked on?

[​IMG]

4. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    No?! You simply change...
    to...
    With the WC3 launcher shortcut.

For example on desktop...
    1. Right click "Frozen Throne" shortcut.
    2. Select (press) "Properties".
    3. Select the field "Target:".
    4. Change it from "..." to "..." -opengl where "..." is a path to the installed version of Warcraft III. An example of such a path was provided earlier in this post (for English UK 64bit Windows).

5. Alprazolam

Alprazolam

Resources:
    Resources:
    Tried this, but the same is happening.

Ohwell.

6. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Works fine for me... Maybe you are not doing it right as you appear to be using a hacked version of WC3 started by a third party launcher.

7. Alprazolam

Alprazolam

Resources:
    Resources:
    Its not a hacked version.

I bought the golden edition on G2A.
    Why do i use a third party program you might think...
    Well, for dota stats and GPROXY in order to reconnect to the game..

[​IMG]

8. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    As long as you start the game with that shortcut it should work, I just re-tested and Gamma as well as frame rate works normally on Windows 10 when starting WC3 with that shortcut.

9. joeng64

joeng64

Resources:
    Resources:
    Good day sir, I have tried the openlgl and it works but my problem is I play WC3 using GARENA or RGC and I tried to run the game but it seems the opengl was lost or not working, the gamma was set back again to default when using these apps but when I just run the game from the shortcut itself it works with no problem, any idea to this issue?

10. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I recommend contacting the maintainers of those third party programs. I only use BattleNet.

What must be happening is when they start the game they are not using the -opengl flag. I would imagine their program allows you to toggle that flag on or off before starting the game through their program or at least allows you to specify command line flags to send to the game when starting.

11. A Void

A Void

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:

Thank you for maintaining this thread, lately my activity has diminished.

12. joeng64

joeng64

Resources:
    Resources:
    I see..thanks for the advice, I kinda thought that may have been the case.. too bad the dll also didnt work for me because it seems RGC doesnt allow any modification to the wc3 folder, it automatically deletes it when I hit the start WC3 button. guess I'm stuck with this for now

13. A Void

A Void

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Move the .dll and in the properties select "Read Only". It will prevent it from being deleted by other programs.

14. joeng64

joeng64

Resources:
    Resources:
    just tried this out and I get this error msg when starting wc3, also tried to set it at hidden but same thing..

[ERROR] Failed to clean up: C:\Program Files (x86)\Warcraft III\ :: d3d8.dll
    [ERROR] Your game directory contains modifications and RGC was unable to remove them. Your game cannot be started.

damn no luck at all :( thanks for the tip though

15. KILLCIDE

KILLCIDE

Administrator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Thank you for this tutorial, Void! When I upgraded to Windows 10, I got a noticable FPS drop when playing WC3. However, after installing the .dll files you provided, it has returned to normal :)

16. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I still would recommend OpenGL mode instead of some third party work around.

17. WXZ

WXZ

Resources:
    Resources:
    the dll methods worked for me !! I just copy the 2 dll into w3 folders, restarted with the installer, 1 min and it worked ! thanks so much ^

18. Darkshooter1986

Darkshooter1986

Resources:
    Resources:
    Re: Running WC3 on Windows 10

I have a new computer with windows 10 and have installed and played Warcraft 3 with no problem at all. Only thing I do is run as admin and no gamma or graphics problems nor any lag related so might be an issue with your graphics on your computer or something else. I believe I am even using Direct X 12 currently and have experienced zero problems...

19. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    The only problem is that Gamma cannot be set in Direct3D mode, moving the slider does nothing. There are no other problems and gamma may never need to be set if you are happy with its current setting. There is even no need to run the game in compatibility mode or as an administrator and I would advise against doing that for security reasons.

20. Zhall

Zhall

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I'm getting this error.

I have 20 gb of hard drive space left, and if I uninstall and re-install it works fine again.

Attached Files: