• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

War3Patch.mpq & local files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hi and thanks for looking at my post.

I didn't know where to post this, so it was posted in the off-topic forum.

Anyway, I want to overwrite files from War3Patch.mpq with the local files method. But it still looks in War3Patch.mpq instead of my folder!
Overriding files from War3.mpq and War3x.mpq works fine.
I have been looking for a solution for months, but with no luck. Hopefully someone here will know what to do.

Don't mention anything about the WE because you can't mod the MainMenu with the WE.
EDIT* I don't create/modify maps and/or ingame units, spells and so on
( As far as I know )

I would also appreciate anyone that can mention in which forum I should post this question. ( So I can ask someone to move the thread for me )

Last edited:
Level 2
First things first, that's not a good idea. It means you can't play with anyone else, actually.

I think you missed this part:
Don't mention anything about the WE because you can't mod the MainMenu with the WE. ( As far as I know )
I make themes for the MainMenu and the Battle.net chat.

I don't have any problem with playing the game online and/or on LAN.
And I don't think the other 1000 people that downloaded my themes do either.
Only one of them have complained so far =P

Really? Thank God that I never tried to do this... Actually, having a dial up does the same thing, but MPQ edits are very hard to make, if I know well.

I don't edit the MPQ, I added a registry entry to allow local files.
Which means that I put the new BLP, MDX, TGA files inside the folder structure of the Warcraft III installation folder.
For example C:\Program Files\Warcraft III\Units\...\something.blp

Level 2
I realized that my English is in fact pretty crappy. So I edited my first post a little.

I want to overwrite files from War3Patch.mpq with the local files method. But it still looks in War3Patch.mpq instead of my folder!

Example: I want to replace UI\Widgets\BattleNet\bnet-mainmenu-profile-up.blp from the MPQ with my new modified file that I put in my installation folder ~\Warcraft III\UI\Widgets\BattleNet\bnet-mainmenu-profile-up.blp

Sorry and hope this helps.

Level 2
You'd have to get a MPQ editor to open and edit the MPQ of WC3. I got one with the Deprotect I once downloaded (you haven't heard this), it works fine. Basically you open the MPQ and then import the file, then drag it to the correct position in the MPQ. Quite simple too.

Editing the MPQ kind of defeat my purpose. I want to be able to let other use the themes I create without having to ship the War3Patch.MPQ.

I guess I have to find the pointers to the texture files instead and change them and ship the file that contains them. ( The file with the pointers )

So I finally found the file with a pointer to bnet-mainmenu-profile-down.blp and bnet-mainmenu-profile-up.blp ( UI\FrameDef\Glue\BattleNetChatPanel.fdf ).
But now I have another problem, I need to find the file with the pointer to UI\FrameDef\Glue\BattleNetChatPanel.fdf or it doesn't work.
I don't really expect an answer because it can be anywhere, but If you see such a pointer please post a reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.