• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Best way to modify .SLK files in .MPQ files (pre-1.29)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
I remember on 1.31 you could use Local Files to modify the game without changing the CASC files themselves, so I thought I'd try getting similar things working on 1.26 and 1.28.5.

I tried changing some numbers in UnitBalance.slk (using LibreOffice Calc, choosing "keep existing format" when it prompts.) and then overwriting the existing one in war3patch.mpq via Ladik's MPQ Editor.

When I load up a map, the game crashes with a generic "access violation / memory could not be 'read' " error.

What is the best way of doing this is for war3 to accept it?

Level 20
The SLK files format used by War3 is very picky; even if you use "keep existing format" it still might not save it the way War3 likes.

I don't know what program people use to make a safe edit with SLK files, but I do find opening them in a regular text editor usually works (but it's also nearly unreadable this way)

Status
Not open for further replies.