• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Basic (existing) abilities and spell modding (data fields) in MPQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hi all!

I run some turns in the staff contact where to put this thread: hopefully this is the proper place.

I wish to get help how to edit and modify basic (existing by base) abilities and spells in MPQ.
Means: game MPQ -> NOT the map MPQ!

In a more concrete way: which data fields used by them.
So which data fields appear in AbilityData.slk in fields DataA1 - DataI1 (col 23 - 31) and for another groups based on the level of the certain ability/ spell.

It looks like that called from AbilityMetaData.slk but that file lacks of comments/ explanation -> not even sure that is the only one which needs.

I wish to do such things as (examples):
  • add extra armor for the footman Defend ability when it is used
  • add extra agility granted by the Evasion ability (demon hunter, creep, item) based on levels
  • add extra defense agains ranged weapons for the Hardened skin ability OR/ AND extra armor
similars ...
Also maybe in the future create (semi)new basic abilities/ spells which use different data fields. Yet this is not priority in the begining.

Yes it is for a mod, which affects all maps/ campaigns/ the world editor capabilities itself.
I am fully aware with such changes the game will be not compatible with others who do not use the same mod, but it is already FT 1.26 patch anyway.

Reasons it must be done in the MPQ level:
1. In world editor you cannot make (in reality) new abilities/ spells. All based on existing ones -> all data fields provided by the original one. -> So the original ones needs to be changed if different data fields desired.
2. The mod aims to change all games. It is not on a map/ campaign level -> but affects all of them.

The parts I DO NOT need (to avoid useless replies):
  • Any edit in map/ campaign level: either with map MPQ or triggers. -> it is NOT for certain maps/ campaigns -> it is for the whole game which affects all, and also improves the world editor in turn.
  • Statements about: "do not do that" / "it cannot be done" -> in many tutorials I read that where they dismissed the problem with a simple sentence.

As far I know nobody done such - but correct me if I missed a master who made such mod.

Last edited:
Level 3
There is another way (workaround) I tried to do.

To edit the UpgradeData.slk file.
Well it is not working.

It looks like as soon as an upgrade grants an ability all other fields in the UpgradeData.slk dismissed/ not applied even when properly added from the UpgradeEffectMetaData.slk file.
So only the ones which come from the AbilityData.slk are true/ applied.

So to solve it by the upgrades themselves are not working by trials.

Level 3
Looks like there is another problem regarding (item? - only that?) abilities.

It is looks like certain ability AND/ OR data field combos are not compatible with each other.
Well in case of items.

Not jet sure about the background logic, but it happened at some occasions, like:
1. I tried to add mask of death the extra ability (near the basic life steal) which grants extra life. This not grant any extra HP, even in text listed as grants + 0.
2. Also when a certain item grants + any agility it looks like that item cannot grant + armor -> only which comes from the extra agility.

So it made me think that is based probably not on the ability itself, but the data fields which are used by that ability.

Any thoughts?
Or probably a tutorial I missed (sure not the first one who makes custom items).

Last edited:
Level 3
Another question come by a different thread:

Can be abilities replaced?

So when an unit already had an (unit - not hero which have levels) ability (by base or by upgrade) can be replaced by a different one which granted by an upgrade?
Off course to avoid a bug for a different x/ y col/ row defined for that in the abilityfunc.txt

I mean pure upgrade - not for just certain missions via map triggers.

Status
Not open for further replies.