• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

War of the Ring - Mirkwood Spider

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 65
It is I, HerrDave and I am 100000% out of-- just-- *angry sounds*

I cannot for the life of me animate this model.

I need to have it's legs spread out in all animations but the standing animation, and I am being completely screwed by MdlVis.

If anyone would be willing to -suffer- through editing this model, I would be in your debt and your name will be featured on the intro-screen of the War of the Ring map I've been toiling on.

To any who are brave enough, here is the model.
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/pastebin/d85834ce034e301bbbe85e491d0eb28211973/
Good luck!

full

Level 14
Hmmm I feel masochist, let me try.

I find the skeleton structure not of my liking, it tends to confuse me because of some inconsistencies in namings. I assume there is no problem if I rearrange it as I see fit as long as it gets the job done, correct?

Last edited:
Level 65
I tried using the default spider animations, but the problem I kept bumping into was that the default spider is too low to the ground and when I move the bones in the body and legs up to compensate for that, it breaks the attack and death animations :c

I have to say that animation-wise, this is easily the most daunting thing I've ever had to work with, despite being one of the simplest models I've made.

Level 14
Thanks guys for these informations I believe that the best course is to genuinely animate this from scratch. I just need some time to reshape the skeleton in a way that I'm comfortable animating and then I'll try :)

Level 14
First of all Mr_Haudrauf your suggestion was great as a reference for movements of a walking spider even thoug a simple animation transfer can't cut it :) thanks.

@HerrDave I like the starting position that you imposed to "walk fast". Could it be used as a starting position for "walk" too? (cause I'm leaning towards "yesplease")

Beside a large number of youtube tutorials to animate spiders' walking sequences, having a look at the blizzard's spider walk from above reveals a simpler pattern than I would have expected (colors highlight the limbs moving in concordance):
BlizzSpiderwalk.gif
The quadruplets (red+purple) and (black + blue) move almost perfectly together

Last edited:
Level 65
For the default walk animation, I'd prefer the front legs to be down with the rest, but if it proves too harrowing, you can pull them up for both animations.

The reason I had them up and spooky looking in the walk fast animation was to freak out my arachnophobic friend and to use it in a charge ability

Level 14
For the default walk animation, I'd prefer the front legs to be down with the rest, but if it proves too harrowing, you can pull them up for both animations.

The reason I had them up and spooky looking in the walk fast animation was to freak out my arachnophobic friend and to use it in a charge ability
Received. Will do. Also I should hide stuff to avoid exploit of poor arachnophobic users by their mean friends ^.-
(not like there isn't already plenty of warnings and spiders' images already lmao)

WIP update: please review the first two fore-limbs cycle.
I find that the movement of these three-jointed forelimbs is very similar to the one you can make if you extend your index finger, push slightly on a table's surface and slide it backwards.
I can see that the orientation of the moving forelimbs is different from the one in the static pictures you linked, they're close together and pointing forward while they're open in the pics. Do you want them more spread out?
I don't feel alright with the blank gap between most legs and the body. Is it a concern if it remains as visible as it is now?
(if the gap needs to be reduced, it's best to do it before continuing with the rest of the cycle)
BlizzSpiderwalkWIP1.gif
(spiders are intensely creepy)

____
Edit2:
<----
just realized that cryptfiends have 6 limbs :O <shock>
CryptAnt.JPG

____
Edit3:
bump, I need this instruction regarding the limb-body gap to be made clear before I can continue.

Last edited:
Level 14
You seem to misunderstand: reducing that gap after animation requires remaking the entire walk cycle. It's not pleasant :) That's the very reason why I need to know now :p Are you sure it should stay like this? (looks a little bad to me)

Status
Not open for further replies.