• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Want to add worker-icons in-game? Well here's the how to!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unbelievable how nobody figured this out though most likely nobody decided to share this interesting feature. Add a peon classification then kill the unit then revive it to add worker icons/f8 button/ the thing that shows up in bottom left notifying you of an in-active worker unit.

Example is below, press esc to remove the icon of course.

Normally I would post the triggers, but I really don't think I have too.

It's easy to do... You just need some form of revival, yeah reincarnation works too.

Attachments

• adding the f8 button worker icon ingame.w3x
    16.8 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
I did not know it, yet did anyone raise that question? What would you use it for? Besides killing a unit is not really preferable, impedes too many things.

I have a thirst for knowledge sometimes and I like discovering stuff. So I raised the question and actually I wasn't the only one. :thumbs_up:

There is many uses for it, for every genre. Why not? Units die constantly in most maps. What exactly does it impede besides selection and target acquiring? Easy fixes for both of them in quite a few workarounds.

Level 26
Selection, order, animation, buffs, ...
Those are not completely seamlessly restorable.

I think there are few uses because the idle icon is a global feature, you cannot have multiples of them, which is why it does not make much sense to tie it to other non-global mechanisms inside your map. Surely you can have a summoning hero and his minions use idling to easily look them up but then you reserve this spot for exactly that single purpose, at least at that point in time. Also you cannot effectively turn on/off that icon unless you use dummy units in the first place because as said unit death/revival is not seamless and the icon only shows up if the unit is actually idling.

Selection, order, animation, buffs, ...
Those are not completely seamlessly restorable.

I think there are few uses because the idle icon is a global feature, you cannot have multiples of them, which is why it does not make much sense to tie it to other non-global mechanisms inside your map. Surely you can have a summoning hero and his minions use idling to easily look them up but then you reserve this spot for exactly that single purpose, at least at that point in time. Also you cannot effectively turn on/off that icon unless you use dummy units in the first place because as said unit death/revival is not seamless and the icon only shows up if the unit is actually idling.

Actually every one of those is easy to restore.

Well the more limited someone's mind is the fewer uses for anything. Why comment if you find this a useless feature? Well it looks that way from what you've been typing.

Level 26
I appreciate every nook of knowledge in wc3 mapmaking but in the first post you made it sound like this one is very important, without reasoning it and I have shared my sceptical points, which is why I am asking what uses you are seeing.

I still insist those properties are not completely and seamlessly restorable.

Another reason why I posted is simply to show some interest for those that are exploring new stuff in wc3.

I appreciate every nook of knowledge in wc3 mapmaking but in the first post you made it sound like this one is very important, without reasoning it and I have shared my sceptical points, which is why I am asking what uses you are seeing.

I still insist those properties are not completely and seamlessly restorable.

Another reason why I posted is simply to show some interest for those that are exploring new stuff in wc3.

I see, I figure you don't want a paragraph so I shall explain it from what I see in the simplest manner. It basically allows mapmakers to add onto the UI itself without a mass amount of dummy units.

Nobody has posted about this because most people actually do the opposite frequently, which is much more useful:
Add worker classification to a unit without adding the idle worker button.

Practical application:
Disabling all forms of auto-engage and automatic retaliation of a unit. This is useful for all kinds of games with custom stealth mechanics.

I've seen dozens of maps that use this. Nothing new imho.

The opposite? No this is the opposite. That's the normal way to disable unit attack behaviour, this is the advanced method to turn any unit in-game into a full worker with the icon. Much more useful? Both are useful no matter how you look at it. Until now not many knew how to add the little icon so yeah your welcome.

Agreed, lots of maps use it. Nothing new? Try again.

I try to contribute to other mapmakers as best as I can in ways nobody else has yet. Nobody likes duplicates if they're of same quality. I counted three people who never got their problem solved for this so hopefully now others can just read this to figure out how.

Status
Not open for further replies.