• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Walking on Walls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I am making a map and using the following models:
Castle Wall: by Tranquil
models_4901_screenshot.jpg

I tried the following tutorial:

But it didn't work. It made my units run through the walls, instead of on top of them, any ideas?

Last edited:
Level 5
Well, units cant exactly walk on doodads or destructibles. The stairs didnt work? Im quite sure it is a ramp and should be walkable. Other than that, since the guide allows you to walk pass the walls, why not just put a terrain in it? For example just raise the land till it is a suitable height to make it seem like walking on the wall. :)

Level 5
I see what your problem is.

To help you, you must answer me a question : What doodad did you turned the model into those walls? Was it a normal stone wall?

Some doodads do not have the ability to let units walk on them and instead make them run THROUGH them.

Things you could try :

-Try creating a new ramp custom doodad then change the model and shadow, etc to the custom model;
-Check if you made it walkable.

Level 6
Comments:

This is my review of the following comments:

Dark Soul:

Well, units cant exactly walk on doodads or destructibles. The stairs didnt work? Im quite sure it is a ramp and should be walkable. Other than that, since the guide allows you to walk pass the walls, why not just put a terrain in it? For example just raise the land till it is a suitable height to make it seem like walking on the wall. :)

Well, I tried that also, :(. But it raises up the wall.

Undead_ted:

If you uses an Elevator you can walk on it, I haven't really tried with other models tho.

I tried that after I read this comment. It didn't work because as far as I know, you can't change the height of the elevators. So that wouldn't really work.

Peter Canvis:

I see what your problem is.

To help you, you must answer me a question : What doodad did you turned the model into those walls? Was it a normal stone wall?

Some doodads do not have the ability to let units walk on them and instead make them run THROUGH them.

Things you could try :

-Try creating a new ramp custom doodad then change the model and shadow, etc to the custom model;
-Check if you made it walkable.

To answer your question, I don't know which doodad I copied to make the wall. But I completely changed it to make it into the wall (via. the models shown above) so I'm not sure if that matters. Also, ramps are not doodads, their destructibles, so I would not be able to customize their size like I can with doodads. And yes I DID make it walkable.

Level 5
Well the stairs work with ramp. However, you cant change the size but you can make them shorter simply by moving the stairs into the ground in the world editor. If you dont know how, you will need Jass New Gen Editor. It will also help with your wall since you can move your wall down until it reaches the same height as the raised terrain height. Dont understand me, pm me. :)

Level 6
More Comments

Thanks for the help, but there's are problems....

Dark Soul

Well the stairs work with ramp. However, you cant change the size but you can make them shorter simply by moving the stairs into the ground in the world editor. If you dont know how, you will need Jass New Gen Editor. It will also help with your wall since you can move your wall down until it reaches the same height as the raised terrain height. Dont understand me, pm me. :)

When you say ramp, do you mean [Apply Cliff: Ramp]?

Just_Spectating

use invisible platforms and pathing blockers

these are your best friends for this.

but you have to know about Ctrl Page Up/Page Down

i hope this helps.

I tried your idea, but I found out, it takes a REALLY LONG TIME and I don't want to go over the doodad limit.

Level 2
You can resize ramps in the Normal WE by just changing the scaling values within the object editor. Also if you set the fixed rotation value to -1 you will be able to rotate it as a normal doodad and still have units walk upon it. The tutorial that you mentioned before does work but you must used a ramp/bridge and put a different model on it and use pathing blockers. Make sure you have set the pathing to none. If you have used a normal doodad, not ramp/bridge, then making them walkable will cause the unit to walk through them not on top of them, as is the case with your problem.

I think you should remake the wall your are doing with a model based of a bridge or ramp. It should solve your problem.

Level 5
You can resize ramps in the Normal WE by just changing the scaling values within the object editor. Also if you set the fixed rotation value to -1 you will be able to rotate it as a normal doodad and still have units walk upon it. The tutorial that you mentioned before does work but you must used a ramp/bridge and put a different model on it and use pathing blockers. Make sure you have set the pathing to none. If you have used a normal doodad, not ramp/bridge, then making them walkable will cause the unit to walk through them not on top of them, as is the case with your problem.

I think you should remake the wall your are doing with a model based of a bridge or ramp. It should solve your problem.

Ramps cant be resized, their like bridges. o.o

Level 2
This is what might work:

You really have to use a walkable base doodad, like a bridge, and resize, reskin, etc. it.
Do they really have to be doodads? Otherwise, there are possibilities to make a destructible technically work like a doodad.

Status
Not open for further replies.