• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Wake of the Beast (beta name)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
This is a project I've been wanting to do for a while but only just got back into wc3 again recently. over the last week I put together some test maps and designed some terrain, as that is my specialty, and thought up a load of ideas for game mechanics but this is a project I know is near to impossible to make on my own so I have come here to recruit a team.

what I am looking for:

-any one who can write jass/advance triggers
- WherewolfTherewolf
- Ebisux
-any one who can help with the terrain, weather come up with ideas or actually build it
- Blindman
- WherewolfTherewolf
- Ebisux
-Modelers and animates (though most the terrain stuff is done but ideally I can find the worriers off somewhere, but only looking for decent high res stuff, they probably wont have animations I would like. The Creatures will most probably have to be made from scratch)
- Modhell
- Ebisux
-play testers/hosts or who have access to bot hosts (as my Internet rubbish)

what this project will be:

on a whole this is an attempt at making a Shadow of the Colossus Themed puzzle/action game. The idea is you a bunch of 4 players, with the possibility of 8 observers and maybe alternative game play where one person controls the creature (adding re-playability), fight enormous creatures but the fight are far more puzzle based with different ways of killing them. each fight will be heavily scripted so that it makes it interesting and a challenge.

====================================================================================================
Current game Mechanics
====================================================================================================
These are all just ideas but:

- There is two classes ranged and Close of which you get to chose at the beginning, both have there roles but neither is essential to kill the creatures.

- Each character has two attacks the main, the normal attack of wc3, will do little or no damage to each creature but merely work as a distraction tool and make the creature follow them and can be used for various puzzles. the second attack will be a charged attack, it will take a few moments to charge this attach this is the one that can hurt the creatures. This instantly adds some kind of skill to even hurting them.

- There will only be 1-3 creatures on each map to stop over crowding and allowing high quality maps, and vast amounts of imports should it be needed. with maybe a couple death match arenas just to add re-playability to each map

- Camera, now this is going to be one of the most important and hardest parts of the map, I'm thinking of having an adaptive camera that is practical but gives you a visual experience, as the plain wc3 one is rather bland and dose not allow for depth of action. there will be static cams for those who don't want to use it as not to alienate anyone.

- Abilities are going to have three levels and each class will have a selection of ones unique to each class and some that both can have. The idea will be you pick them at the beginning and you have a set amount of points to spend and each one gets you a level in each power but you are limited to 4 powers.

- Preset abilities each character will have 2 preset abilities one will be the charge attack and the other will be jump, jump will only be activated when they are in certain regions and will be a mechanic for platforming, also can be used for other purposes if necessary.

- no real need for a save system but I'm thinking about a character customization feature as making cloaks, helmets, swords, bows and other customizable bits are hardly an effort and simply add another depth of the game so some people might want to save a set up, but again no need as there is no leveling only a possibility

- I have very little knowledge on this front, but if hosted through a bot is it possible to keep a time variable from the game and store it on the bot (like on the current risk generation) and add a competitive time records thing going on.

Here are some screens of the stuff I've made to start to give an idea of what style game I'm going for.

79633d1271373120-shrine-desert-building6.jpg

79634d1271373120-shrine-desert-building7.jpg

79627d1271372790-shrine-desert-biulding1.jpg

79628d1271372790-shrine-desert-biulding2.jpg

79629d1271372790-shrine-desert-building3.jpg

79630d1271372790-shrine-desert-building4.jpg

79631d1271372790-shrine-desert-building5.jpg

79635d1271373120-shrine-desert-building8.jpg

79683d1271462852-shrine-desert-dam4.jpg

79684d1271462852-shrine-desert-dam5.jpg

79769d1271531883-shrine-desert-dam7.jpg

79770d1271531883-shrine-desert-dam8.jpg

79772d1271531883-shrine-desert-dam10.jpg

79771d1271531883-shrine-desert-dam9.jpg

79803d1271595236-shrine-desert-area2.jpg

79804d1271595236-shrine-desert-area1.jpg

Ok here is a basic background on this map and the first Beast
back ground:
This race of people who segregated their land from the rest of the world, using the desert shrine as a source of power and being the only way into the land, became really powerful. with their magic they were going to start a war on the world and destroy all who opposed them. After doing said magical thing like finding the stone of what ever and the blood of the something Eagle and getting all the towns folk to join in the incantations of the the forbidden kind and all that, they bring these stone statues they have made of each creature to life. They first had to learn how to control these creatures before they could start their war, but the powers they had used to bring these to life was not theirs but a greater being(a god of some form) that could not take form and used them to do his bidding, (there are allot of blanks in here but you should be getting the idea) he then takes control of his creatures and sets about destroying the people. But it then underestimated how powerful the humans were, after a great battle on the verge of being wiped out in a last act of defiance they manage to imprison them in the lands by using the power of the shrine, they used the shield they had made and used it to block the creatures from the greater being, leaving them to wounder the lands aimlessly with minds made for war, they are not peaceful creatures.

The first creature was made to be an amphibious destroyer, once guarding the lake that lay at the mouth of the mountain pass now imprisoned by only its stupidity swims through the lake killing all who should make for the mountain pass. stands in the wake of the watch towers of the city and cannot be harmed whilst submerged in water as it passes a huge electrical current through the water it swims through. sitting on the edge of a greater lake this creature is only held by a simple dam.

Attachments

• Colossus Killers1.w3x
    524.5 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Level 10
lol I know that feeling had many project that I realized were never actually going to come to light and thats why this time I'm going for a full construction team so this game is made, ok I'll put your name on the post. at the moment all you can do until we get at least the skeleton crew of this project is have a bash at making some ideas for maps, I'll upload the map I'm working on so you can get an idea of how its going at the moment.

Level 10
little bit of a blurb: This is basically a game where a bunch of people take on colossal creatures and work out puzzles to kill them in a epic landscape and this is the great desert shrine where you cross from the outer lands into the cursed desert where the creatures roam free after they destroyed the cities of their creators.

this is what I said as my original blurb when i first posted the idea and images in the terrain board

Level 3
Damn, looks like no one can see this post :(

If you can read it then I would like to try a monster model, otherwise hopefully admin will get back to me with a solution for my posting problems

Level 10
I was think more along the lines of much more open terrains with lots of little details, try having some practice with the doodads on the map and try and recreate the ideas I've had to get a scale of the work necessary, but if you cant get the level of detail try and just use the stranded stuff to draw out guidelines for me to build on, though its a desert map so don't worry about grass for now I'm going to make some tiles sets that match and blend with the map.

p.s dont use cliffs and for future reference don't re upload the map but just upload some pics of what you have done

Edit: Opps double post

Level 19
Ok. Ill find some people to help you with. Which people do you really need now, modelers or someone who can write jass/advance triggers? And maybe this could be a colossi: Giant Sand Worm or Ancient of Stone or Ancient of Stone w/ Hammer. And why cant I use the lower tool on flat surfaces?
Screenshots below.

Attachments

• Elders Hut.JPG
    Elders Hut.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 323
  • Graves.JPG
    Graves.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 197
  • HousesBurning.JPG
    HousesBurning.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 165
  • Water.JPG
    Water.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Level 10
every one . . lol I need to get a full team together so we can actually start work on the maps, Also look at my pictures because thats the level of detail I'm trying to achieve in this map. As for cliffs if you notice I don't actually use any water its all doodads and using cliffs is just annoying and awkward to work with, and because I'm only going to be using sand and a set of textures I'm making there will be no use for dirt and the likes

Level 10
I didn't even thing about music, I write music as well, but i was thinking big orchestral scores for this but likely hood of actually getting my uni's orchestra to play my songs is quite low lol but for now I'll go with standard wc3 music.

the maps there if you wanna have a play around and upload a couple pics on the terraining side and trigger wise we need to start planning the staple systems of the game, but ofc all in your own time

Level 10
i know all about music software and i also know all about virtual instruments just cant copy the sound of a real instrument yet, what program do you use just out of curiosity, as I'm studying Music and Music technology at Uni

Well I'm using the virtual instruments that come with Pro Tools 8 software (Xpand!2 I believe is what I use mostly). I wasn't trying to say that you didn't know about software, I just didn't know if you used any sort of software and thus wouldn't be able to record the music without an entire orchestra (and the recording equipment necessary). The instruments are a bit limited, but my intentions on buying the system were more geared towards recording then composing - though I've found that composing works just as well on it, though I can't get the more realistic (the ones I have aren't bad, they just don't have all the nuances of an actual instrument) instruments without dishing out tons of money.

Amphibious Destroyer could be a giant model of a Murloc or Mur'gul.

Giantsizing a small model like that would look terrible, really terrible

Level 10
and i already got Modhell designing and building the model for it, but yeah other wise I would suggest Logic 9 as out of all the things I've tried it has the most realistic virtual instruments and unlike protools comes all inclusive no need for added VST plugins its all there on the base setup, although i recommend protools for actual recording still, but this is all an bit of topic . . lol as for now we have to see how big the map is going to be with all the models added in then we can see if we have enough space for music.

so yeah lets talk ideas and stuff

Level 4
This terrain shows serious potential and skills. It is living proof that all you need to get people interested in the beginning is a sweet terrain. Anyway I hope it turns out good. Love what I see so far.

Level 3
Excellent, I'm on the hive :D

As you already know madcd I will be attempting a model for you. I have emailed you a basic concept pic to see what you think of my idea... btw I noticed it looks rather dull on my xp computer compared to my win 7, settings are obviously diff so I dunno how it will look for you... but yeah, it's just for idea purposes. Let me know if it's a go or not

Level 10
Not hat i was expecting I'll give you that erm feel free to upload them to this thread and welcome to the hive community, that's gonna be hell of a hard task making it so a working model but if your up to it I actually like it maybe less of a human head though I would say more humanoid kinda more like a beast, but I'm going to put you in charge of the model department if your up for the task

Level 3
Ok cool, yeah I can do a more bestial head, I was just playing with ideas and wanted it to look 'titan'... lol when I started drawing concepts it was originally looking too loch ness monster so I took a diff direction and liked this one... it will take me a bit of time but it will be no problem to make it a working model

waterbeast.png

Level 10
thats cool though i do see an impending doom heading our way . . .lol its not going to stop me from still building this . . .but galaxy editor has been released and ts potentiol is ridiculously better, but what people will find is that it takes ridiculously more time to make anything custom for it . . lol

Level 3
aha I know what you mean, when I read that on the news page I thought the same thing.... if starcraft isn't too far off it kinda kills the urge to make an epic map... still we can work on it and if it doesn't come to fruition I don't mind, it's just a hobby for me to pass times of boredom and to try to create cool stuff... also custom models and textures probably won't be easy when it first comes out like you said, but once a few pro's make some tools and tutorials for those kind of resources it should be fine, because I'm sure blizzard would of made it easier to do those kind of things. I wouldn't doubt that since galaxy's release people are already poking and proding for what can be done in those areas

Eh, so far Galaxy Editor hasn't really impressed me that much, as you've said its a bit less mod friendly and accessible as the Wc3 one, sure its more powerful but actually doing something in it is much more time consuming and most things can still be done in the Wc3 one that where added with GE.

I would say go for broke with Wc3 on your map.

Level 10
latest update is every one is moving to sc2 and the editor and game features are much more suited for this game and as soon as I get a copy I'm going to move this project to it as in the editor already are all the features that this game needs like third person systems, mouse aiming and keyboard controls that actually work. physics engines and a mahoosivly better graphics engine, so lets get those ideas flowing again and plan it all out for now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.