1. Melee Mapping contest #3 - Poll is up! Vote for the best 4v4 melee maps!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The 30th edition of the Modeling Contest is finally up! The Portable Buildings need your attention, so come along and have a blast!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have a new contest going on right now! Join the 11th Music Contest! You are to make a Cinematic modern sound-track for this contest, so come and compete with other people for fun.
    Dismiss Notice

Void Ray Rush - Total Destruction in 6min - How To

Discussion in 'StarCraft I & II' started by redbayron2006, Feb 16, 2013.

?

Will you use this strategy?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. redbayron2006

redbayron2006

Resources:
    Resources:
    In this starcraft 2 replay you can see one of the best sc2 void ray rush probably the best unit in starcraft.
    Dont expect mass void ray a couple of them will do the trick when they charge.
    In this void ray push you can see also the build order the player has followed to accomplish a total victory against 4 enemies.
    It does not take more than 6-7 minutes and there is no counter.
    A total victory in a very short time, a magnificent protoss strategy.
    Enjoy below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBjlvWKJhA0

2. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Void rays are weak and such rushes will 99% of the time end in a loss. Marines, Stalkers and Hydralisks all pawn void rays like they are made of butter. At higher tech levels you can use vikings as terran as well (you wikk likk 50% of voids before they enter range). Zerg can use queen to fend off lone rays that try and rush (before hydralisks).

The conclusion is this must have been a noob level game. The fact it seems to be 2v2v2v2 (or 4v4?) proves this since pro level is only really 1v1.

3. Blackthorne

Blackthorne

Resources:
    Resources:
    No just no... if you are bronze noob go do it and will never get past even gold. I am not sure of this is team game FFA or 1v1 but if it's 6v6 where the worst players are there, it could work. Once someone scouts your cheese you will see how pathetic it is, but idk in 6v6 all may happen ..

Plus in 1v1 when they do fast VR to me and I marine viking, gg, all cause of scout... sorry you do not discover America. Next.

4. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Void rays used to do this back in early days of SC2 (especially beta) but now they are too fragile, slow and weak.

They only deal extra damage when fully charged which requires focusing on a tough target for considerable time (as changing targets refreshes the charge period). They also only deal large damage to armored units making them pathetic against marines and hydralisks. Factor in the huge cost and you are asking for problems.

Against terrans you are doomed. Marines hard counter them, especially when stimmed and all terrans will spam these in great numbers. If they scout you then you are even more doomed as they will reduce maurder production for more mariens and early vikings. If that was not enough, the standard anti-protoss EMP ghosts that appear later will hammer your clusterd Void Rays' shielding making them even easier prey.

Against zerg you are doomed as the defensive queen is capable of killing lone void rays trying to charge up and rush. If you try to mass then they will respond with mass hydralisks (maybe mutalisks?) which will mince your void rays effortlessly. When infestors come you are truely done for as they will spore down your rays for more damage and prevent them from running (so they all die).

Protoss players will just spam out stalkers. Blink will allow them to full DPS your rays before they can charge. They are also weak enough that if you do mass rays they will struggle to charge before killing the stalkers. Sentries will help limit your DPS. Finally if the game lasts long they will pull into HTs which can force your rays to move with psyonic storm and thus lose all charge.

Void Rays serve specific purposes.
    A few rays can quickly destroy an expansion before the owner has a chance to respond. They are also great artillery units when you have trash to take the damage as you can pre-charge them (such as on the enemie's expansion or even your own nexus when defending) and have them deal high DPS from the back of your army by the time the enemies get there to defend, forcing enemies to retreat or face heavy losses. Void Rays are devestating if left alive in combat for long periods of time as their DPS is very high so throwing a few with an army can be highly effective (watch out for Terran vikings).

Void Rays are not meant to soak up damage, they are one of the most expensive durability to cost you can get. With out enough trash durable units to soak up damage they will easilly fall victim to counters. They are also very prone to clustering so in large numbers you can expect Terrans to toss EMP on them (devistiating sheld damage0 if you let them cluster.

They also deal very low damage to start with. Unless they can charge, they will act like expensive paper weights. Especially in large numbers against marines and hydralisks, you will find them failing to charge. Again, this emphisises that they are best used in small numbers, either pre-charging before combat or by hitting durable enemy units.

5. May90

May90

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well, in 4v4 this could actually work. I find that in 4v4 pretty much every mass units strategy works, as long as your allies are not newbies and your opponents are not 5 star pros.
    In 1v1 you would get destroyed quickly though... Mass marines / hydras / stalkers - and that's it. ;-)

6. LordDz

LordDz

Resources:
    Resources:
    What most protoss players do in pub 3v3, 4v4s:
    Cannon rush an opponents base, if he takes it out.. He builds more cannons there and a nexus.
    He usually dies when the other team attack your base and you can't defend because his cannons are on the other side of the map.

Or

Skillrays.

Yes, I have rage against protoss teammates.

7. RiotZ

RiotZ

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    7 Minutes into the game, nobody has a single unit on their team. Wood league?

8. IRcollision

IRcollision

Resources:
    Resources:
    I checked some news from top players because I haven't played HotS in the past 2 months, it seems VR is a bit op unit atm but I also read a future patch gonna fix them, the widow mines too.

9. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Void Rays are not over powered in the way the topic creator described. If you mass void rays you can kiss the match goodbye as someone will just mass the counter and you get to watch them all break.

Void rays are very powerful if used as a support unit in moderation. Their high DPS against armored units can destroy key strategic units of the opponent while the opponent is focusing on cheaper units like zealots, stalkers etc. This means that with the micro skills of a pro (not just A move) they could be a bit over powered.

10. May90

May90

Resources:
    Resources:
    Having played Uberena like million times, I found that the best way to use them is to just double-click them all and then spam the sequence attack-shift-attack-shift. But they really need many units to protect them: they are too fragile on their own and die fast to any anti-air.

But, again, in 4v4 mass voids are very powerful.

11. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    If a Terran player spams out Vikings then you can kiss all those void rays good bye seeing how Vikings can kite them indefinitely since their speed was lowered.

Although I have yet to try it out, but I have a feeling Tempests will also be surprisingly effective against void rays seeing how they cluster together often, that is if they can hit air.

12. May90

May90

Resources:
    Resources:
    In theory it is true. But in practice you never know if a player with, say, 5 void rays is going to mass them. If a team sees mass void rays and decides to build vikings then, it is usually too late as the void rays player just attacks the vikings player and doesn't let him do anything as void rays destroy buildings surprisingly fast.

13. RiotZ

RiotZ

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I believe they can hit air, though I don't believe they have AOE, and even if they did, any pro player would not allow his Voids to go down to AOE, furthermore in agreeance with you, no pro would ever make only one unit in his composition.

14. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    The problem is that Vikings are a primary Terran Anti-Air unit and as such even if the opponent does not mass Void Rays, you can expect Terran players to get a few. A Viking is a fraction of the cost of a Void Ray and totally destroys them.

Zerg have the most problem against Void Rays as they do not really have strong Anti-Air outside of Corrupters against Massive air units (which is not helpful here). Mutalisks are designed for harassing and so come at a premium and if a player is spamming rays, nothing stops them from spamming a few Phoenixes, a Mutalisk hard-counter unit. This only leaves Hydralisks and Infestors which leaves the player weak against CC units like Colossus. That said, a spore on a group of rays leaves them helpless against Hydralisks and Hydralisks have too little health to allow them to charge up (meaning poor DPS for their cost). The best part of spore is that you get to watch their rays be helplessly routed in place making them easy victims to the superior damage of Hydralisks.

Terran players must never forget Ghosts and their insane EMP. A few of those shot off kills about 50% of the durability of Void Rays leaving them even easier targets for Vikings. Not that a Terran player even needs Vikings since stimmed marines will easily dispatch Void Rays as well.

15. May90

May90

Resources:
    Resources:
    I agree on that, but even 15 vikings won't help that much against, say, 30 voids defended by a strong ground army (or by opponent's vikings). If the voids player flies far away from his allies' army (for example, destroys enemy's bases while other team members are on their bases), he will fail against decent opponents. But massed voids added to a massive 3 players ground army are very hard to stand against. As you mentioned, ghosts, infestors and, I believe, high templars are essential here, as well as anti-air units with splash damage (thors and archons).

16. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Obviously seeing how 15 Vikings are like 1/4 of the cost of 30 void rays let alone the land army. That said, 15 Vikings will be whipping out 2 Void Rays a barrage and the land army will be helpless to stop them doing that as Vikings are faster than most land units.

Which is the intention as that is not massing void rays but instead using them as intended. It is the same as saying infesters are over powered because they can destroy low health units with them when they are in an army.

Thors do not counter void rays too well. Yes they have splash but the DPS they deal is still very low. Marines on the other hand totally destroy void rays.

17. May90

May90

Resources:
    Resources:
    It all really depends on a unit composition. What really makes massed void rays good in 4v4 is lack of proper scouting - even some of very decent players think that scouting in 4v4 is not that important since, anyway, "Opponents will have everything". If massed voids are scouted in time, it is not very hard to make a counter to them, I totally agree on that.

Thors start showing themselves when you have at least 5-6 of them. 1 thor doesn't do that much against heavy air, but 5 thors slaughter stacked void rays very fast.

18. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    ZzZz why do you guys keep discussing this. Void Ray rushes work in Bronze, Silver and maybe Gold leagues because other players are probably also straight teching for carriers, ravens, and whatnot. In Diamond and Master I can assure you're committing suicide unless you're rushing Zerg or most players are Zerg in team games, and even then, you can't 100% sure destroy at least 1 base.

19. LordDz

LordDz

Resources:
    Resources:
    Counter to strategy: Scouting.
    /Thread?

20. RiotZ

RiotZ

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I'm in Diamond, and I have to say a lot of people open with Voids off of 1 Stargate, even 2, so as not to over reach, in all mus, but mostly PvZ, because right now Voids are probably the most broken unit in the game, and it's coupled with the fact that Oracles annihilate light units.

Voids > Armored
    Oracles > Light
    Oracles + Voids > Most AA

It is a pretty soft, easily scouted rush, which could be held, just as long as you don't underestimate the power of Voids, I've seen 8 voids kill 12 Hydras with micro lol...

Also a good thing to note is that Protoss's only t1 AA is armored, this makes Voids a lot more feasible in PvP.

I'm not talking about this noob strategy btw, 1SG and 2SG FE rather.