• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Starcraft II Modification: Dark Protoss Visual Add-on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
darkprotossmodlogo.jpg

Welcome to the first (?) Starcraft II modification on The Hiveworkshop. While this is quite a small mod compared to some we are bound to see, it is still worthy of use. The modification basically replaces all the original Protoss skins with ones that fit the Dark Protoss scheme shown on the Stalkers, Void Rays, and Dark Templars. The mod is compatible with multiplayer and you can use it while versing other players on Battle.net 2.0. As for the people who have a cracked version of the Starcraft 2 client; I cannot guarantee that it will work as I have not tried using it.

Here are a few screenshots:

Dark Protoss Base In Construction:
screenshot005an.jpg

Dark Protoss Base:
screenshot006xg.jpg

Dark Immortal:
screenshot007v.jpg

Dark Immortal Demonstration:
screenshot008zs.jpg

Army Marching:
screenshot009et.jpg

Collecting Troops:
screenshot010dy.jpg

A Dark Colossus:
screenshot011g.jpg

Destructive Forces:
screenshot012e.jpg

I'm currently working on changing the User Interface into a Dark Protoss theme, so a download should be up shortly. Remember that this is ONLY a visual modification, it does not affect gameplay at all. Thanks to RandomUser12 for his awesome "Re-skinning Sc2 Units" tutorial!

~ Stay tuned ~

(NOTE: This will not affect Warcraft IV. It is just a simple visual modification I made because I love the Dark Protoss and their theme. I'm currently playing around with the files in Starcraft II Beta so I'm a little occupied with that. Updates on the Edge of Eternity will continue as planned)

Level 12
Awesome!
I'll get you a new UI if you want.

I always loved the new slate theme they have a bit of in the protoss stuff... But it's just pure awesome everywhere.

Level 8
Hehe thanks, it's nothing too drastic. I don't really have time to completely re-skin each and every skin while I have my other project so I just re-coloured them. It's just for the Dark Protoss lovers out there.

I think it gets the job done anyway.

As for the UI; I just need to know what the image file is called. I can't find it anywhere.

Level 6
Wow, great work there! Simply but amazing.

It would be really cool if you suggest this to Blizzard to be a part of the original Starcraft:II, smiliar to the corrupted nightelf buildings - I really would like to see this in mods without needing to import plenty of megabytes into a map.

That's too good for a mod. We need an implementation of this in sc2 ;)

Level 4
I've been looking for it. I think it might be in the m3s but I doubt it.

It's true that the User Interface Console for all tree races are in m3 file, obviously used for better scaling at difference resolutions. And the textures maps texture maps are located in X:\...\Liberty.SC2Mod\base.SC2Assets\Assets\Textures\.
To modify textures you should look for files starting with console... or [race name]con/ui. But there are also separate UI files (like Probe-idle icon) which are not included in the console texture maps. So you might also want to modify those also. Don't forget the spectator console textures also.

Level 8
Awesome. Though you might want to recolor their portraits as well if you can find them.

It might be possible. However, I'm not sure if the portraits are simply video clips or actual high poly models. I'll try my best :)

EDIT: Here's a new screenshot. I've managed to edit the Probe portrait (it seems that they ARE models, not video clips) and the User Interface.

screenshot017ki.jpg

Last edited:
Level 12
Yeah. I found the interface textures after extensive search. Came here to tell you, but it seems you figured it out already.

BE SURE TO GIVE US THE NEW TEXTURES W/ THEIR PATHS, I want them! NAOW!

For all who don't know, the interface texture is named "RACEconsole.dds", and the Protoss have a special one called "protossconsole-specular.dds".

Edit: It seems this is not true.
Terran:
terranconsole.dds

Protoss:
protossconsole.dds
protossconsole-specular.dds

Zerg:
zergconsole-flesh-normal.dds
zergconsole-flesh-specular.dds
zergconsole-flesh.dds
zergconsole-flesh-emissive.dds
zergconsole-metal_normal.dds
zergconsole-metal_diffuse.dds

Level 22
It might be possible. However, I'm not sure if the portraits are simply video clips or actual high poly models. I'll try my best :)

EDIT: Here's a new screenshot. I've managed to edit the Probe portrait (it seems that they ARE models, not video clips) and the User Interface.

screenshot017ki.jpg

Just like you, at first I thought they are 2D, but then I noticed the MPQ has Portrat models and I even was able to open one of them, so they are 3D textured models! Very nice of Blizzard cause at 1st I also thought they are just pictures. Which means that the way the Terran robot opens its face, like in the installation menu is an animated model.

Level 12
Yeah, turning on 3d model portraits really doesn't require TOO much memory, it really hurts you though if you have high shading/effects/lighting on and can barely run it in 2d with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.