• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Villager Attachment help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
here ill wright it for you
ALL THIS IS FROM http://world-editor-tutorials.thehelper.net/attachments.php i take no credit for this

The first step is to find and download a model you like. There are a lot of models on the internet with problems, so it can be difficult getting them to import correctly. Typically, the site that you downloaded the model from should have ALL information you need to import it. If they don't give you a list of files and where they should go, it might not be worth downloading. I have chosen the model shown here, a nice bloody sword.
Using an Ability

Now I need to make a dummy ability to create the models effect. For this I am going to use Armor Bonus +1. Thats because this ability does not show an icon on the hero, and its very simple to change.

* Give the ability a new name.
* Change the armor bonus to 0, so it doesn't do anything.
* Change the 'Art - Target' field to your new model file.
* Change the 'Art - Target Attachment Point 1' and add the point where you want the weapon. Mine will say 'left' and 'hand' in two different strings, but in the same field.
* Change the 'Art - Target Attachments' to the number of points you added. Mine will say '1'.
* Change 'Item Ability' to false, so we can add it to a unit.
attachment2.jpg

Your done! Now add the ability to the unit who will use the weapon. Here is my new Dreadlord, with his bloody sword.

Attaching to Items
Heres a real cool way to associate weapons with items.

* Instead of a unit ability, leave the ability we made before an ITEM ability.
* Add the ability to the item you wish, instead of the unit.

When the unit aquires the item, the effect will automatically appear! And of course, when the unit drops the item, the effect dissapears. Of course, you can use this method for any attachment, spell effect, or import model.

Look through the majority of the units in your map. If most have a free left hand, attach the model to that side.

You can even use the model for the items default model, so it looks like the model when it is lying on the ground. I have found that swords do not look that great on the ground, because they are two-dimensional.
Using a Trigger

You can also just use a trigger to attach a model or special effect. Just use this trigger action.
Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the left hand of (Triggering unit) using Sword1.mdx
Known Attachment Points
Attachment Point Names:
overhead (floats over the unit's head, but doesn't sway with)
head (sways with the unit's animation)
chest (also good for wings)
origin (usually at the base of a unit's feet)
hand
foot
weapon (for heroes)
sprite (for buildings)
medium (for buildings)
large (for buildings)

Attachment Point Modifiers:
left
right
mount (for mounted units)
rear (for quadrupeds)
first (for buildings)
second (for buildings)
third (for buildings)
fourth (for buildings)
fifth (for buildings)
sixth (for buildings)
rallypoint (for buildings)

thats all of it

ive PMed the creater but no responce yet(I dont know if still active). If you could move attch point that be great!
Downside with mac=all of the tools here are .ExE so i cant :sad:

(operator: ive tried origin and it just gos the the head)

Thanks

EDIT: Oh and BTW morph going off topic I dled your framwork kit(Its amazing!) and the prob is that I tried copying the roof control and door control JASS into my map and it does not work. I know nothing about JASS so how can i get it to work?

Last edited:
Level 5
I saw the villager models and they rock!
i got a 3 questions and I well appreciate if you would replay to them thanks :D
1. Can you give me the links to download those villagers' models?
2. Did you make them and if you didn't can you tell me who so I could give you or he/she the credits.
3. If you need help with attachments I know all of it...
Thank you!
:D

First of all, y did you PM me and post here?

Second: No i did not make the villager skins they were made by:

Dmitry Rommel
(i had nothing to do with it all credits go to him)

And back to topic what do you mean "you know it all". Im not asking for attch strings if thats what your saying. I want someone to move the attch point to sadle on the horses back.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.