• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

UVW Wrapping / Unwrapping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
EDIT - I've just had a full-on epiphany and now completly understand how this works =DDD!! Lol, I'm super excited to start modeling and animating >=().
=This Can Be Closed=

Alright I've recently started trying to learn how to model, I understand how to create shapes and manipulate them into more complex objects... to an extent. And today I tried to model a little chunk of flesh that could e used as a projectile for example the meatwagon. I didn't even try going into a detailed shape because I mainly wanted to focus on learning how to apply texture to it (It only has 9 faces lol).

So I have the shape down, (O yea, and I'mtrying to texture it in 3d Studio Max) and In the Material Editor in 3dsm I imported and applyed to one of those slot.. things... my texture. Now I know how to select all the faces and hit apply to selection, and it works, but the write part of the image doesn't go to the right part of the model; the UVW mapping is off.

I have gone through about 4 long-ass tutorials now and have an idea how to do this, and kinda know how to do that, but I really don't understand it at all. So if anyone could explain this to me or point me in the direction of a good tutorial for beginers (as in, I started yesterday) I would be greatly appreciative; I understand how hard this could be to explain :bored:

----I have attached a Sample Model and Texture, if anyone with 3dsm could apply the texture so each 1 of the 9 faces has 1 of the 8 colors on it, then repost the model that would also be helpful so I could look at and tinker with what you did =)!

EDIT - This is from another computer so I cannot edit it, the TestModel.mdx when loaded actualy has 2 seperate 'objects'.. models in it, delete the 1 that has 8 faces.

Attachments

• TestTexture.jpg.jpg
    TestTexture.jpg.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 71
  • TestModel.mdx
    2.1 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Level 10
I had that gem, and I was just using it to practice how to unwrap. my goal was to apply a different color to each of the faces; now I know how to do this =).

Status
Not open for further replies.