• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Using vJASS In Wc3:WoW

Level 5
Getting vJASS to work in campaigns

PitzerMike on Wc3Campaigns said:
When you're editing maps from a campaign, however the path cannot be found because those maps are stored inside the campaign.
A workaround is saving a local copy of that map in the maps folder and working with that copy, then when the map is finished re-import it into the campaign.
From Wc3Campaigns http://wc3campaigns.net/showthread.php?p=895170

I pretty sure this must be done every time that you save a map in the campaign. So if you don't have JASS NewGen get it now!

Here's the step by step.

1. Download and Open JASS NewGen
  2. Open the Wc3WoW campaign in the campaign editor
  3. Open the map you want to edit
  4. Do your editing
  5. Select the main editor window
  6. Click "File" then "Save As"
  7. Save the map to the desktop(example)
  8. Click "File" and then "Save"(This needs to be done again so that the vJASS script can be compiled)
  9. Go into the campaign editor and right click on the map that you edited
  10. Click "Replace" and then navigate to the map you saved to the desktop
  11. Save the campaign

This may seem to be a lot but it really doesn't take that long. And trust me vJASS is worth it. :wink:

I'll be DLing the campaign tomorrow to work on it.
Tonight I'll check to see if you need to use this method everytime you change terrain.
It may be that you only have to do it this way if you edit the triggers and such.
We'll see....
I hope you guys find this useful! (especially Av3n :wink: )

Level 5
Whoops! My method is bugged.
With this one all custom doodads and units will be removed from the map.
I'll post later with one that actually works.
It'll be a lot more complicated but if we can't have vJASS we may as well quit now. (Just in case you can't tell I hate HandleVars :crazz: )

The next method I post is going to be pretty involved and it will need to be done every time you save the map.
So maybe we should have a reward/contest out for the first person that comes up with a way to use vJASS in a campaign.
The prize could be that they get to be on the closed beta team and they get some Rep or something. Just an idea.

Level 9
WEhelper might still work with campaigns though... Even its so outdated, or just declare vJass like a standalone (there was a method for macs)

HandleVars is a pain in the ass... Well unless you vJass it to do whatever you want (look into my version, it auto-inits itself)
But then also Handlevars is useful at the same time. Im ok if I can't use vJass, CSSafety and Handle Vars will do me good as well.

-Av3n

Last edited:
Level 9
Vexorian said:
I don't know exactly what is the issue with jasshelper with campaigns, in any case it is a grimoire issue for not calling it, but it is not really a big issue, once you finish a map compile it with jasshelper, then go to newgen whatever\logs\ take the outputwar3map.j file and IMPORT it to the map with the path "war3map.j" once you do that the campaign is going to be able to hold it.

In case the campaign saver still tries to compile the triggers, you should just remove war3map.wtg and war3map.wct from the map after importing war3map.j .

Of course there's a command line, read the readme again, specially the last part of it.

Vexorian's answer on a public thread

-Av3n