• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Using building models for summoned units

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I'm having a problem when I use building models for units that are summoned. After they're summoned in-game, they are stuck on their building animations. Moving them seems to snap them out of it (one of the models I used was Ancient of War), but otherwise they are stuck in their build animations even when they are attacking.

I would replace them with a new unit with triggers as soon as they enter the map and then have them die after a certain amount of time, but I'd like to keep the countdown bar and have them act like summoned units in regards to dispelling and Control Magic.

If anyone knows of any other ways around this, I would be most thankful.

Level 4
So you want to add a timer?
  • Events: Unit is summoned
  • Conditions: Unit type is equal to (Ancient of War)
  • Actions: Unit-Add a 60.00 second generic expiration timer to [Summoned Unit][Trigger
If the unit is created, and not summoned, just change the summoned to created.

Level 3
Oh, didn't know you could do that. A good last resort I guess, even though I'm not sure if abilities like Dispel and Control Magic would work properly.

But I'd really like to try and find the root of the problem and see if I can fix it within the object editor before I turn to triggers. I've tried setting the units' build time to 1 with no change. Might there be something in gameplay constants I could change? Why would summoned units have such a conflict with units that have construction animations?

Level 4
So your just trying to change the animation?
Could you try posting the map so people could look at the unit?

Level 3
I'll try and explain what I'm doing for some context.

I'm making a modified version of Serpent Ward to be a spell where wards that look like orc Watch Towers deploy instead, and I've edited the actual ward units to be Watch Towers, meaning I've changed the unit's model to Watch Tower.

In game, when I try this spell, the Watch Tower pops up, but the model just cycles through its construction animation forever until the ward runs out of time. It still attacks normally, however.

In another spell I'm making, a modified version of Inferno, an Ancient of War is summoned instead of the Infernal. This has the same problem as the Watch Tower spell, but only so long as the Ancient of War stays in one place. As soon as it starts its walk animation, the normal animations work fine.

But wards can't move, so the Watch Tower spell is stuck in its construction animation forever.

Just to clarify, there's nothing wrong with the units themselves as far as I know. If I place them on the map myself, they work fine. It's the process of summoning them through the spell that causes this problem.

I'd like to fix both of these but I'm not sure how. It seems like someone else must have run into this problem before.:confused:

Level 3
Thanks, that worked. For some reason I had it in my head that the "play unit animation" trigger didn't do anything (I think I tried it for something else in the past and nothing happened when I tested it).

Level 4
  • Events: Unit enters region (Playable map area)
  • Conditions: Triggering unit equal to (your value here)
  • Actions: Unit play animation
that should snap them out of the construction loop ;)

You could just get rid of the condition so you don't have to make alot of triggers.

As animation you should do Ready1/2/3

Status
Not open for further replies.