• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Making Summoned Units Permanent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hail friends, so i'm running into a bit of a problem regarding one of the races on my map. Essentially whats happening is i'm using modified Carrion Beetles and Dark Portal spells for a majority of this races unit/building spawning. unfortunately this puts them at the mercy of stuff like dispel, and leads to funky scenarios where players can go well over the food cap to ridiculous levels (like going 1000/250 food) due to the units being spawned from Carrion Beetles - which dont respect the food limit. I want to make the summons permanent to a degree and i've looked up some guides but generally they tend to have infinitely spawning units as opposed to moreso what i'm trying to make. Essentially what I want is for the building which is spawning the units to only be able to field 6 of them at any one time, and when one of the 6 dies another is spawned at the building as a replacement after like 3 seconds, but I also want them to respect the food cap and stop producing units once the cap is reached. Players are able to build these spawning buildings to no limit really, and are able to upgrade them to higher tiers (though this doesn't change what units are spawned) if it makes any difference.

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
I don't think I fully grasp how your system works but it sounds like you want a Hashtable that keeps track of every building's "spawn limit" and "spawned units".

And can you break it down further? Are you training the units like you would from a Barracks? Are the spawns triggered? How exactly does it all work?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.