• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Using blizzard maps.

[Read post first] Would you play that kind of map?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Vote TLDR : would You play a campaign made on blizzard melee maps?

Hello everyone,this is my first time posting on the Hive,and I would like to ask a question regarding map making.

I would really like to do some map making (and I certainly will make my own).

The question is : is it permitted to take a Blizzard melee map (eg. Booty Bay) and add something special to it like a story,or special mechanics such as making it a special gamemode.

The reason for wanting to do this is that I want to add some life into the usually (for some) boring melee maps and make them special in one way or another (mostly making campaigns from them).

I HAVE read the map submission rules about originality,but i'm unsure if this falls into that category.

If the answer is no,then i will make my own maps,it will not be a problem.

Thank You to anyone who reads this and thank You for Your help.

EDIT : Geez,i'm so stupid,would my idea fall under the category of "Altered Melee map"?
If so then,this post is gonna be here for the pool only

Last edited:
Level 5
It would not be an altered melee map unless it takes most of the gameplay mechanics of melee(altered melee is defined by mechanics) but coincidentally altered melee maps often use the terrains of blizzard maps.
I think it is allowed to use blizzard maps but whenever your map is original or not will depend mostly of what you do.
(whenever I will play it or not will also depend on what you do)

Level 2
It would not be an altered melee map unless it takes most of the gameplay mechanics of melee(altered melee is defined by mechanics) but coincidentally altered melee maps often use the terrains of blizzard maps.
I think it is allowed to use blizzard maps but whenever your map is original or not will depend mostly of what you do.
(whenever I will play it or not will also depend on what you do)
I see,in the meantime when I posted I got my info from SeedinAethyr,so I will just keep this here for the vote.

Level 32
Hey @XCzambie, welcome to the Hive!

- Yes, using any Blizzard material is permitted.
- The originality rule is pretty lenient. It's usually meant to deter things like DotA clones where so little is changed.
- Don't worry about categories too much. If it doesn't fit, a moderator or reviewer can always fix it. But no, a campaign is only a single player campaign with missions. Altered melee is just melee with significant gameplay alterations.

Would I personally play a campaign of your idea? Eh, not really. Unless the story is great and the gameplay is pretty unique, I don't think people will be interested in a campaign using melee maps.

Last edited:
Level 2
Hey @XCzambie, welcome to the Hive!

- The originality rule is pretty lenient. It's usually meant to deter things like DotA clones where so little is changed.

- Don't worry about categories too much. If it doesn't fit, a moderator or reviewer can always fix it. But no, a campaign is only a single player campaign with missions. Altered melee is just melee with significant gameplay alterations.

Would I personally play a campaign of your idea? Eh, not really. Unless the story is great and the gameplay is very unique, I don't think people will be interested in a campaign using melee maps.

1. Ok I see, sounds pretty clear.

2. Yeah, got it, that does sound right, but I will make sure I put it in the correct category.

3.Ouch,that hurts :) .
However I will include something unique and even if I don't make it good enough, I will try my best.

Thank You for Your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.