• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

In Need of Spell Ideas for Mages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I am in the development of my first map, which has similar concept with Impossible Bosses.

In my map, player can only play as mages. So basically, spells should allow mages to engage and survive in melee combat, deal spread or concentrated damage, afflict ailments, prevent damage and/or buff.

My map will also feature 'specializations' to help players immerse in their gameplay. Specializations will restrict players from learning abilities from different specializations.

Since it is highly probable that I will do most of the spells myself, please do not give overly complicated or mainstream spells as my knowledge of JASS is extremely diminutive.

Ideas regarding other aspects will also be welcomed.

By the way the current specializations are:
Dark Artist - necromancy, demonology, and 'unholy' magic. related to the undead race but not limited to summoning
Blood Mage - uses own blood(life) as a catalyst to cast spells. can also manipulate other's blood in higher tiers
Arcanist - arcane magic. Polymorph, invisibilty, and other things that can relate to the wizardry of Dalaran. also 'arcane' spells. for eg, mind blast.
Combat Mage - specializes in melee combat. being a tank+mage. should have spells that fortify defense, prevent damage, disorient enemy formations and may have other melee combat abilities.
Paladin - opposite from Dark Artist.

Last edited:
Level 12
Storm Surge - Creates a sudden rise of water in an aoe, creating x waves, which deal x water damage, making lightning element skills deal x% more damage.
Electric Ball - Throws a ball made of lightning/electricity, dealing x lightning damage to an aoe, where it was targeted.
Overheat - Makes the user burn in flames, dealing x fire damage to himself, while dealing x fire damage to enemies near him.
Ignite - Makes the targeted unit take x% more damage from fire element skills.
Pyromastery - Gives x additional mana regeneration, and gives x% more damage when using fire element skills.
Acid Rain - Creates poisonous rain, which deals x poison damage, poisoning those in it's aoe for x damage per second which lasts up to x seconds.
Arcane Missile - Throws an arcane ball, which stuns the targeted unit for x seconds, dealing x damage to it.

Level 28
Paladin:

Faith is my Shield: the Paladin channels a protective spell over his allies, giving them protection based on his ability to maintain focus. All units in (short) range get a buff that shields them from damage, but every hit reduces the Paladin's mana (when it reaches zero, the spell ends).

Judgement of the Righteous: the Paladin brings justice to all in a wide area. Every hero takes damage proportional to how many units they've killed, and simultaneously healed the number of times they've been killed times a large number (say, damaged for 10 times number of units killed, healed for 100 number of times they've been killed). Use with caution, wouldn't want a curbstomped enemy to suddenly find themselves healed...

Combat Mage:

Fear: Cast over a single point, this spell induces horrible, gut-wrenching fear in all enemies, who flee it as fast as they can. Forces all enemy units to move away from the target point for a second or two, before regaining their senses.

Ironskin: The Combat Mage's skin turns hard as iron, turning away both sword and arrow as long as he can maintain it (greatly increases armor, drains mana)

Spiritswords Dance: The Combat Mage turns the foe's fighting spirit against them. Cast over an area, a sword appears for every enemy (two if they have positive buffs on) and flies around the battlefield, dealing damage to every enemy unit they run into.

Blood Mage:

Mana Shield (if he's casting from hitpoints, seems required. Also, make sure there's a "not enough health" message if he's running low and tries to cast.)

Bloodboil: The Blood Mage sets the blood of enemies boiling, erupting in furious wrath. All enemies in target area become neutral hostile, have greatly increased attack and move speed, and take heavy damage per second.

Tainted Blood (passive): whenever casting a spell, the Blood Mage's burning blood spills on the ground, damaging all units around him.

Lifeblood (chain buff/heal): The Blood Mage magically transfuses his blood into the wounded. Each ally hit with the spell gets healed for a decreasing amount and gets a decreasing boost in move speed. The Blood Mage takes decreasing damage for every unit healed in this way (adjust so he doesn't accidentally kill himself when at full health regardless of how his stats affect it).

Arcanist:

Mass Invisibility: All allied units (minus sappers) in an area turn invisible.

Mana Surge: Creates a massive influx in the winds of magic, regenerating allied unit's magic much faster. Any excess mana fades away.

Containment Field: Channels a magical field that entraps all units inside and damages them. Units caught inside can still move and attack as normal, but can only leave the field by teleporting or waiting until the spell ends.

Dark Artist:

Call of the Darkness - Calls multiple demons to fight for the Dark Artist.

Curse - Curses an enemy unit. The cursed unit will lose 10 HP per second.

Necromancy - Raises skeletons from dead bodies.

Death Scream - The neabry enemies can't move or attack for 25 seconds.

Touch of Darkness - Kills a target enemy unit.

Blood Mage:

Enchanted Blood - Enchants the Hero's blood, giving him 400 HP for 60 seconds.

Sacrifice - Loses 200 HP and summons a blood elemental.

Bloody Bolt - Throws a magical bolt made out of enchanted blood to a target enemy unit, dealing 345 damage.

Bloodlust - The Hero's attack speed is increased by 50%.

Drain Blood - Drains a target enemy's blood. The enemy will lose 20 HP per second and the Hero will take the drained blood, increasing Hero's HP.

Arcanist:

Energy - Regenerates all neabry friendly units' lost MP.

Polymorph - Transforms a target enemy unit in a sheep.

Focus - Increases Hero's MP regeneration by 75% for 120 seconds.

Inner Power - Increases Hero's HP by 500, MP by 775 and defense by 4. Lasts in 50 seconds.

Combat Mage:

Magic Shield - Creates a magic shield around the Hero, protecting him from spells and magic attacks. Lasts in 35 seconds.

Enchanted Weapons - Increases Hero's damage by 15 permanently.

True Sight - Views all map for 10 seconds.

Illusion - Creates an illusion of the Hero. Lasts in 40 seconds.

Strenghten - Increases Hero's defense by 7, HP by 800 and damage by 35. Lasts in 50 seconds.

Paladin:

Call of the Light - Calls multiple angels to fight for the Paladin.

Heal - Heals a friendly unit. The healed unit will restore 10 HP per second.

Divinity - Makes the Hero invulnerable for 30 seconds.

Cure - Dispels negative buffs from friendly units

Revive - Revives the neabry dead bodies.

Level 2
I just want to share one of the best spells a mage should have in World of Warcraft. The, "Wear Plate Armor" spell.

Level 6
see this http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221379
hmmmmph, i think i have an idea

Play Back Time:
Target a unit that make him to move back time (playing the time back)

In mine its like this:
Target a unit, wait for 10 seconds, while that 10 seconds, save target position and angle every 0.05. Then after 10 seconds, the target will move back same as the pastfor 5 seconds.
PS: must use GUI trigger

Level 28
Arcanist (specializing in time magic)

Tick Tock: Marks a unit for death. If not dispelled, the unit dies within 1 minute of the spell being cast.

Life in the Fast Lane: Compresses the life force of targets into a short span. All units in an area gain 50% attack and move speed, but take 20 damage per second.

Time Tunnel: All units in an area are removed and returned to the game 5 minutes later, with a small chance of never returning at all.

Statis Field: All units in an area are turned invulnerable and stunned for 30 seconds.

Level 6
So your map is going to be a boss arena map just like Impossible Bosses or are there any other events where you're gonna use the spells we are suggesting?
How many players/teams will you have?
Should the heroes be self-sufficient or pseudo-reliable to others for support like in IB?
How many spells should each hero carry?
Do you want passive spells aswell or only active?
If so, do you want one specialization to have noticably more passive spells than the others or like 0-2 for each hero regardless of specialization?
Have you chosen hero models yet?
If so, could you give links?

And last, but certainly not least, is this map still in progress? I just noticed that the last 2 posts might be useless bumps and i'm afraid i am now contributing to said uselessness :p
I truly enjoy helping out with ideas, but only if there is a reasonable chance i might be helpfull, so...still working on this map?^^

Status
Not open for further replies.