• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

User of the Year - Voting!

Who's the User of the Year 2012 in your eyes? Vote now!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
The way you phrased this is pretty rude, but I assume there just was no other way of putting this for you, aye?
Have it your way, but know that this is far from being productive.

Well it doesn't seem to get me anywhere when I talk in code, so I say what I mean.

You could have some 1 post no rep user nominate himself, and one other user nominate him, and then he's on the list, that's just so damn stupid.

Put however makes you feel cushiest, Democracy is bad sometimes.

Level 28
Staff/User separation would be smart, still doesn't fix the problem of stupid people voting for other stupid people rofl.

I hope you're not talking about the stupid people on the poll atm. I'm tired of this drama, who the hell nominated me on this *whine baby whine user poll* thread anyway?

Well sorry, I can't just shut the fuck up while users are indirectly bashing on my name(well someone is actually directly bashing on me).

If you're visiting hive to actually mod or do some shit for this dying game like uploading models, icons, spells/systems, skins or to help other user, you shouldn't even bothering on this award thingy.

And beside, add more users or not.. kael will win ;/

Level 48
We did not include those who were nominated the most, for christ's sake.
We did not decide that ourselves, we did not make the decision that those that are listed will enter the poll, and no others.
We used a mathematic equation to make sure that the result is representable, while neutral at the same time.
As I said before, one mention can not be representable of /the/ user of the year, statistically speaking.
And I am tired of having to repeat this: we did not act personally on this, but based all of this on statistics.
Otherwise, you would whine about it being unfair due to hidden personal preferences.

That's exactly what I'm complaining about. :|
You never mentioned an mathematical equation or any mumbo-jumbo like that.
I assumed it was a lot more simple, like: Get nominated once, you make it to the poll.
It's ENTIRELY possible to include even a hundred people in a single poll. It's been done before, and it would be much more efficient. People who weren't around in the nomination thread would now see their preferred User of the Year in the poll, and could vote for him. People who saw a user being nominated in the Nominations thread would assume that it's enough, and they don't have a need to bring him up twice: Hell, you even told us that it ISN'T a 'vote', even though it obviously was. As it stands, regardless of your mathematical equation and whatnot, you only included those people with 5 or more nominations: That's essentially a vote.
Basically, what I'm saying is, if people knew about HOW you're going to pick the people for the poll, they'd have acted differently. Alas, it is too late now.

Otherwise, you would whine about it being unfair due to hidden personal preferences.

Indeed I would, which is why I keep saying this: A multi-choice poll with ALL of the nominees listed would be the fairest and simplest thing to do, and the only downside I see to it is the amount of work it would require from the one setting up the poll. People would STILL vote for the most popular\hard-working\whatever member of the community, but they won't feel as if this is unfair, since EVERYONE is listed, and therefore they have a free choice.

Oh, and I'm also extremely disappointed in the current selection of users, because none of them are relevant to me. That is to say, I don't see any modelers on that list. I only really noticed Vkael's contribution, and that's probably because he's a friend of mine, and I chose to participate in his arranged events and such.
Besides, I love the monthly news thingy. Kind of a shame Rui's contributions aren't included anymore.

Level 15
Sometimes we can't get the idea of a helpful member, like maker. When I said "I WOULD have nominated him" I meant that I forgot about maker... like I couldn't find any user who has been extremely helpful to me like he has so I didn't nominated anyone. Mayhaps if he were to be in the poll he would result having a lot of votes.

So, imho I believe it is not a bad idea to set the poll with every nominee (Except for self-nominated people which is not only selfish but weird and kind of cheating)

Level 15
This nomination is generating more conflict than benefit. People are not here for a reward, people are here for their willing to help and learn. If you "monetize" this activity with awards you only benefit one member and generates drama for several members, therefore, is more prejudicial than beneficial for this site.

Level 37
I indirectly asked you to provide your visions of a "fair poll".
Why not create a poll that only features you as a voting option?
Very strange way to ask for a fair vision.

It is not our "fault" if the community nominated the, in your opinion, "wrong people".

The evaluation formula we used is as neutral as possible.

I'm here to give justice for those who were simply left behind. The community voted for many people. You simply added "top 6" to the poll which is unfair. You should've put everyone, or at least more than 6. Also you should've explained in the previous thread that you'll just put 6 people to the poll.

If you took this as mocking, then I apologize. That was not my intention, at all.
Apology accepted.

Additionally, it's only natural that we can not possibly include all 47 (!) nominees in this poll.
Then try to put as many as can. I don't know what's the maximum amount of choises. You should've also explain why other nominees were simply thrown away.

We took all these steps for this to be as neutral as possible.
Definitely not. You simply took the best '6' and didn't care about the rest. No explanations were given to us.

Since when am I an administrator?
Ya, right. New icons. Still you're part of the staff and you should behave properly. People take an example of you as you're part of the staff.

We can make the list longer, but how many people? 10? 15? 20? We add the people with the most nominations to that list.

Then make it as long as possible, don't make a poll at all or explain at least why some of the nominees were 'removed'.

There will always be somebody who is unhappy because someone is excluded from the list, but you have to understand that the only we that we can stay neutral in this is to use math to decide who gets in the poll and who does not.

Just at least try a bit more. Simply 6 nominees aren't enough.

So pretty much we got two choices;

- We continue. We have a winner and we forget about the thing. However, this leaves a bad taste for many people as their nominees were not taken to the poll.

Or we could go with the "fair way" where we reset the poll, add all nominees we voted and simply be happy. If the poll cannot handle everyone we nominated then simply don't put everyone. For example people who just got 1 votes won't come to the poll. (or don't make a poll at all)

Do what you want to do, but don't even think about demeaning the users that are present in this poll: none of them deserve to be bashed, just as sonofjay has put it.
You are unhappy with the situation? Fine with me.

And Deo, I am not even bothering to read all of what you have written there.
"They are not relevant to you"?
Use worthwhile arguments, not some sloppy personal opinion.

Don't whine about the present poll just because you missed out on having this discussion before it was put in place.
There was plenty of time for all of you - if you were just as interested in this as you obviously claim to be.

I officially withdraw from this thread, it's becoming just like all the others: whining, whining, and soon, mass-quoting.

Level 22
I hope you're not talking about the stupid people on the poll atm. I'm tired of this drama, who the hell nominated me on this *whine baby whine user poll* thread anyway?

Well sorry, I can't just shut the fuck up while users are indirectly bashing on my name(well someone is actually directly bashing on me).

If you're visiting hive to actually mod or do some shit for this dying game like uploading models, icons, spells/systems, skins or to help other user, you shouldn't even bothering on this award thingy.

And beside, add more users or not.. kael will win ;/

When people pull things out of context, it pisses me off.

Use your brain, if the people in this poll were stupid, they wouldn't be in the poll because they were selected by popular vote. The issue is not people nominating -Kobas- and Sonofjay, the issue is people nominating Mr1RepNoPosts, or Mr1RepNoPosts nominates someone else.

Someone who's been a member for 10 minutes, has just as big a nomination platform as someone who's been a member 6 years, and has worked his ass off in 2013.

I assumed it was a lot more simple, like: Get nominated once, you make it to the poll.
-> http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2274069-post45.html

I'm here to give justice for those who were simply left behind. The community voted for many people. You simply added "top 6" to the poll which is unfair. You should've put everyone, or at least more than 6. Also you should've explained in the previous thread that you'll just put 6 people to the poll.
Note that due to the equation it came down to 6 people. Had there been more users with more than 5 mentions, then they would have made the cut as well.

You should've also explain why other nominees were simply thrown away.
-> http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2274069-post45.html

Again, it was stated in the nomination thread that only a limited number of users would make it to the poll, however I guess the equation should have been announced at the same time.

Thank you for honor, placing my name above, but I'm not worthy being there, not now.
My time passed, please let others shine :)

EDIT:

Oh about vote, well both Vengeancekael and Magtheridon96 have special place in my heart.
I found Vengeancekael to be both, my great teacher and my great student, we had awesome time in map section, also I can't forget Magtheridon96, his help restored SotP, I just can't decide.

I wish luck to other candidates as well, I can see only great people there. ;)

Level 34
Deolrin said:
@MH: You've been nominated by three people, and then received what are arguably words of scorn from another member. The minimum to get into the poll is 5. It's okay, MasterHaosis, you're not nominated, there's no need for the wall of text. :p

Did it ever accidentally felt in your mind, maybe somehow, accidentally, that even those three people are lot since I did not allow anyone to nominate me?
Maybe those three people did not talk to me or asked me or even mentioned that they are going to nominate me. You mind that I could not stop everyone or doing that? Yes, I told in chat to some people not to do that.
Also, if I wrote wall of text, then there is need for wall of text, otherwise I would not write wall of text, logically.

Now lets go ontopic now. About voting system.
Personally, I am also strongly against current voting system also. I am with Deolrin and many regarding this.
I think that Hiveworkshop is overall one of best sites and best managed sites in world. It has explained everything what is needed (well not perfect, but compared to number of members it is), decent freedom for people, nice hierarchy, everyone know what is his job etc... There is only one thing which I think that is quite stupid and retarded in site's system, that is User of the year! I am watching it every year and still cannot why it is like that.
Some people (on staff) just cannot get it that you cannot have moderators in user of the year poll, for following reasons:
1. Obviously because it is User] of the year, and moderators are not users, they are staff members.
2. Moderators should be helpful and do lot of things because it is their job, they are chosen to do it, they assigned for that, and yet again, its not user's job to be helpful or to be active at all, but this is for such people, award to remember of those who decided to stay here almost every day and help others/create resources.
So far you have moderator who is chosen to work and yet again you award him for that, disrespecting users to some kind. Yes, you staff members would say ,,Then you do not have to vote for staff member, vote for any user instead" but it is not point. Point is that staff member should not be in list for voting. There should be separate thread ,,Staff member of Year 2013"
3. Ass-licking and biasing. It is staff member vs. regular user. So people would vote mostly for staff member expecting in turn that he do favors to him. ,,If I vote for him, I expect better help from him, what is the most important, faster approval of my resources and other secret privileges" Obviously, in turn, it is public vote, so of course staff member can see who vote for him and have better view to those people. Of course, everyone would say now ,,I am same for everyone, you are wrong". Well officially it is. But it will always be biasing, manipulations and such. It is normal, it is in every single site, it has been for years, and it will be. Just can be very reduced by removing staff members from list of regular user of the year, but putting them staff vs. staff.
In more simple note, biasing user to user is one thing, but staff to user is another thing.
4. Main goal of such poll is encouraging people to work harder and behave better on this site. Logically. But if user see that he has to pass though moderator (whose his job is to work already) and giving award to moderator can be found counter-productive.
5. Improvisation. I3lackDeath said that poll cannot support big number of people. He is right. But still, its not people's problem. Site wants to be the best, site wants to have bigger numbers of active members by the days. Site wants many things, but Site in turn needs to improvise in turn. Users should not care if system can support big poll or not. If system cannot support such thing, then it is always good old way of manually counting people. Open thread where people will vote, after some period close thread and start manually counting. Take time which you need. One week, one months, two, but after finishing, create list where we can see who voted for who, and give award to winner. You do not have enough people for that? Hire them!
You all expect to have this huge work, giving a great award just like that as easy you can! Of course in turn that you will get such things arguing everywhere. Do not take me wrong, but majority of staff just expects that huge system where everyone get involved to be done in two - three steps, nominate, make poll, close poll, give award. This needs more thinking, more organizations.
6.Short amount of timing. I think that few days for nominating and few days for voting is small. Staff expects that people will hang out in site every day so everyone would read that nominations are on and voting.
Give more time for nominations and more time for voting. Not everyone can be here this week every day, I am sure that many members missed first nominations. I think, 10 days maybe will be enough for nominating, plus 10 days for voting. or even week, but you need to make public announcement long time ago that people expect user of year nominations soon, so they can stay tuned. Of course this does not mean now, but for further votings, next year because we do not have time now, we lost already lot of time.

So my suggestion:
First, make public poll with simple question: Are you for creating two polls ,,User of the year" and ,,Staff member of the year" ?
1. Yes
2. No
So see, if majority wants two polls, then so be it.
If so, then create two polls, except Users for user of the year should be nominated, there is no nominations for staff members. Every moderator should be automatically included. That is his job to work, so people will then evaluate who worked the best.
As people will evaluate which member was the best in passed year.
So you will have two competitions, two encouraging, one are moderators between selves, second are users between themselves. Majority will decide who is winner.
Deolrin, you see, it is sometimes need for wall of text

Let's end this discussion with the backsides of this poll, because, on the first hand, you try to flatten things out in the name of justice, but on the other hand, you disgrace the people already listed on this poll.

If you want to discuss this, let the poll end, think your suggestions through (if you find it easier, share the ideas as a group of people) and present them in a Site Discussion thread.

I will not reply individually to anyone about this, the magnitude of this matter has become too heavy to bear. Don't taint the award and the nominated people with your justice views, because every one on that poll deserves it and it was all of you who nominated them.

Level 34
Guys, I already told on second page that we should discuss this in another thread, not here, and I was ignored. Everyone posted here regarding what we are discussing, even Ralle, and we rich 5th page, so I assumed that it is decided that discussion is going to continue here.
So please, I do not want problems, you do not want problems, we all do not want to ruin this thread however voting and nominating system is not fair. But we have chance to discuss this in another thread, not to ruin this one and to create problems to our moderators and to administrators especially ralle who did not deserved to watch this.
So, please, be smart now, and if you want to vote, then vote for one of those few people in list, if you do not want to vote, then do not, but do not put names of people whose are not in list.

But rather I offer if you want to discuss about what is wrong with these polls, then create new thread in Site discussion and link me to it so we all can wrote there what I thin that is wrong and how can we improve it. I am also not personally satisfied with user of year selection system overall but lets talk in other thread.

That was on second page. I told everyone to talk in another place, and everyone ignored me (did not read whatever), and continued arguing here.

Vengeancekael, congratulation on winning anyway.

Level 12
Please remove me from this list.
I was neither active nor i did anything special to be listed here.
The list should contain the names of those who, besides the fact they were quite active during the year, they did something for THW (helped with something, whether that help came in the form of: all kinds of tips, various resources, ideas and suggestions, moderation, requests, attempts to reinvigorate the community, new topics, discussions, solve or detect bugs, advice and support, and so on ... :)

Please remove me from this list.
I was neither active nor i did anything special to be listed here.
The list should contain the names of those who, besides the fact they were quite active during the year, they did something for THW (helped with something, whether that help came in the form of: all kinds of tips, various resources, ideas and suggestions, moderation, requests, attempts to reinvigorate the community, new topics, discussions, solve or detect bugs, advice and support, and so on ... :)

Mr. Gragas (is it?), this may be offensive to the people who thought of you and decided to type your name in their replies. You should feel honored :)

Level 23
Finally, argument is over.. but gawd, I think I forgot to voted someone very deserving of this award..
tumblr_lslgb17E1x1qgp134.gif

Level 28
Oh ok. Sorry, Maker, Rui, and all the other I said to "not have done that much" this year. I'm not really that active to know, what you have done and what you haven't done. But well, I was just a bit... I was just ... offended, if that's the word, how all rejected sonofjay, Orcnet and other users. Well, everyone said that only the moderators have done something important here ... and indeed, that's true, but it's normal for a mod to take care of the trigger section or whatever section they have. You gotta take care of the News sometimes, type some stuff, etc, I'm not sure what really but IT'S A LOT OF WORK. But that doesn't mean that others (non-moderators, often) should be ignored. I mean, they don't even have the opportunity to do all these stuff cuz they're not moderators. Moderators have done far more than simple users. It's always that way. Since they gotta take care of their sections and such... maybe we really need a User of the Year and Moderator of the Year poll. Cuz, people rate the User of the Year just by "what he has done in terms of quantity, not who he is, what he says, how kind he is and etc. Now I'm not saying that moderators aren't the second thing - good people but it.. just... seems to me that people rate the User of the Year by the first thing. I didn't want to offend anyone, if I have, please excuse me.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
We are in agreement about all of that except in the splitting the award part. Now is too late to suggest this (is it?): perhaps next year staff members currently in functions should just be excluded from the poll or receive a penalty of some sort.

Level 22
Oh ok. Sorry, Maker, Rui, and all the other I said to "not have done that much" this year. I'm not really that active to know, what you have done and what you haven't done. But well, I was just a bit... I was just ... offended, if that's the word, how all rejected sonofjay, Orcnet and other users. Well, everyone said that only the moderators have done something important here ... and indeed, that's true, but it's normal for a mod to take care of the trigger section or whatever section they have. You gotta take care of the News sometimes, type some stuff, etc, I'm not sure what really but IT'S A LOT OF WORK. But that doesn't mean that others (non-moderators, often) should be ignored. I mean, they don't even have the opportunity to do all these stuff cuz they're not moderators. Moderators have done far more than simple users. It's always that way. Since they gotta take care of their sections and such... maybe we really need a User of the Year and Moderator of the Year poll. Cuz, people rate the User of the Year just by "what he has done in terms of quantity, not who he is, what he says, how kind he is and etc. Now I'm not saying that moderators aren't the second thing - good people but it.. just... seems to me that people rate the User of the Year by the first thing. I didn't want to offend anyone, if I have, please excuse me.

Not speaking for anyone here, but just providing a lesson, don't make baseless (aka, not really certain, just speaking from opinion) claims and you'll be fine.

Also if you trimmed the fat a little, like by removing me and some others, this would be the perfect poll.

Level 30
Huh, I am on the list? I been far too lazy in 2012 - But agreed much more active than in 2011 where I was too inactive :grin:

Oh well thanks to whomever nominated me :wink:

Also I like the new multi-poll - Good job (And still would like to see a split, given that I believe both users and staff deserves the reward for different reasons).

Yeah, your on the list. For the many people you've helped like in the Christmas Avatar and also the Artworks... you really deserve to belong here!:thumbs_up: To be honest, your the most helpful I known but I voted a different one....:ogre_icwydt:

We are in agreement about all of that except in the splitting the award part. Now is too late to suggest this (is it?): perhaps next year staff members currently in functions should just be excluded from the poll or receive a penalty of some sort.

You may just as well forget about it, as it's not going to happen. It only stirs up further discussions at the moment (most of which do not really offer anything, apart from being in conflict with our plans). With Hive 2, we will be able to reorganize awards and boost them with additional functionality. However, since we are still on the path of Hive (1) and while I believe that Staff members shouldn't be treated differently than the userbase overall, it will be processed as it used to.

Level 26
My vote still mainly goes to Vkael, because he is a really positive member who puts a lot of passion into thehiveworkshop and its community. He did a great job purging the huge list of pending maps several months ago, yet he still had constructive critism for anybody submitting a map. Aditionally his news batches are really informative and entertaining.

The Dark Wizard is my 2nd place though because he really managed to change thehiveworkshop with his toxic attitude like no other member. He deserves some special honour to scare a big group of members away.

Level 22
I've returned from my exile temporarily purely to vote on myself and brag about my sense of humour and superior intelligence.

Goodbye.

(I noticed this vote coincidentally when Don linked it in our awesome group in Skype)

Status
Not open for further replies.