• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Upgraded Unit Trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
So I've created two units in the same vein as the Melee Orc Troll Headhunter/Berserker: a unit that starts out as one type, and can be upgraded through tech to another. However, when I put the upgraded version (I had forgotten to do that) in the unit-training building, the upgraded version appears just as equally trainable as the unupgraded version, even without the upgrade tech researched. Any clues as to what I did wrong? I've checked and double-checked the vanilla Orc techs and units and everything appears to be the same.

I can't uploaded my .w3o file sadly... :( If you want any pictures, please let me know what to take them of.

Level 3
There was nothing done wrong, you are just not finished yet.
You need to disable training the better unit for all players on map init.
Even blizzard did it that way for any map in some function in blizzard.j, which is kinda hidden for users.

So do I need to actually make a trigger or something for every map that deals with this?
Edit: Like this?

Trigger1.PNG

trigger2.PNG

Last edited:
Level 3
I followed the Troll Berserker pretty much to the letter I think. Heck, I think I even used the Troll stuff as a basis, just changed names and applied upgrades where needed.

This map here has the units. Look under the Custom Undead units for Abomination (Blood Elf) and Hardened Abomination.

Attachments

• playground.w3x
    121.5 KB · Views: 25
Level 12
It's not in the object editor but one of the special windows in the advanced tab. You can limit the availability of spells, upgrades, units etc. However it's no different than using triggers but I think using trigfers is better because that other tab has problem viewing custom units.

Level 12
the thing that turns existing units into their upgraded version is the "Berserker Upgrade" passive ability, it works exactly like chaos upgrade (fel orcs).
b0646d93fc.png

the thing that makes the upgraded unit type version available and the original version unavailable is the upgrade, just copy the "Berserker Upgrade" upgrade.
892a216a7f.png

the thing that makes the upgraded unit type unavailable at the beginning of the game is using trigger or going to the techtree availability in the advanced tab.
78f201c8d0.png

p.s. like mentioned elsewhere, it's easier and more convenient to just use a trigger to do the same thing, even blizzard did that for melee.

Also, don't forget to add the upgraded version of the unit to units that can be trained for your barracks in the object editor (though you seem to already have this part covered since you could build both versions.)

Status
Not open for further replies.