• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Updating (quite) outdated FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 30
This is one of the Hive's most problematic flaws that is just not drawing too much attention. The first place where to look for something confusing on the Hive will usually be the FAQ. And it's quite outdated.

I am willing to start an overhaul of the FAQ, filling in the missing and new features, removing the old ones and making it more productive and effective overall.

But I need the permission. Since this is the Site Discussion thread, I would also like to hear your opinions on the FAQ, and what can be done to make it shiny and helpful once again.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Step up and give us your take.

Kind of jaded to respond to a thread that doesn't make the distinction between "things could be better", and "what exactly needs to be rectified and how". I'm going to be bold and say that everything as it stands can be better than it already is.
<snip>
and what can be done to make it shiny and helpful again.
I know you used that as a metaphor just then, but I'm going to make it a segue to a point I was going to raise at some point.

One of the things I like about the FAQ is just that. It's not shiny. Given today's standards I'm sure it's running on fumes, and probably an engine made from spare parts patched together by duct tape. But it's really easy to take in, and really simple to make your way through. If you want people to read it, don't make it more difficult than it has to be.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
There's not a single mention of trolling in there.
There shouldn't be.
There should always be leeway or room to wiggle.

Look at it this way: If the rules address all offensive acts and misconducts it shouldn't be of any weight whether or not it's carried out sincerely or ironically. If you can trace it back to any felony you can hold the offender liable. If you can't, well it probably wasn't worth enforcing in the first place.

It's like punishing someone for having ulterior motives.

Status
Not open for further replies.