• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Update/Problems since the wc3campaigns stopping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
I heard that Draco can make a 2 gig zip file with all the resources that were hosted there. (Draco, please PM me a link to that 2 gig zip so i can get it)
The problem is now the additional 2 gig of webspace required for those resources.
I can in no way afford the purchase of additional webspace of 2 gig.
So even after Draco sent me a link to the 2 gig file I cannt put it on the wc3sear.ch server yet...
I have to watch for either companies donating webspace or need donations from the community to keep those resources going.

Level 7
Be more strict on cleaning crap resources (especially maps) on the last pages of the archive, they aren't ever downloaded. Purge off topic forum for old posts, should also help a bit with space. Add banner adds to the page if that helps.

Level 7
Maps are for sure the biggest hog. Ony just the first 3 pages of maps there are at least 4 DotA ripoffs of some sort, and there is a Skibi too(Wtf).

This is the sort of shit that should be removed, its just trash that gets in the way of real resources that people worked hard on.

Not to mention all those spell demo maps that contain custom skins/models that unnecessarily bloats the size.

Level 22
I only have time to test maybe 1 out of every 6 or 7 maps that come onto this site...which needless to say means a lot of maps getting through that could be easily passed over for deletion or Director's Choice. We hired Rui to help test incoming maps and sort ones that were in the wrong catagories.

If we cannot work somehting out and/or Darky cannot get those 3.5 extra gigs on the site, then yeah, expect some changes....
-VGsatomi

Level 7
You should look for some good people in the community with time and talents to look over the maps section.

I'm not saying that you and Rui aren't doing a good job, it's fully understandable that you cannot check them all. I suggest getting 2-3 more moderators for the maps section.

But atleast upload Director's Choise resources that were deleted, like Zurg's Cult of the Damned.

Level 7
well if you are looking for people with nothing better to do but filter maps coming in I could help, I usually download most of the maps that come in anyway and check them out. Dunno how qualified I am to pass judgement, but I can rule out blatant ripoffs/cheesily done crap.

only the skins and maps section are split with wc3campaigns. just look at how many downloads all of the other archives get. go back to the back of the archives, especially the DCs. thousands of downloads. the goblin praetorian model [the one in darky's built-in tutorial] has 12000 downloads by itself. or 7000. one of those numbers. it grows by the day.

Level 17
Whitehorn said:
If 3.6 gig, including Darky's campaigns' were powered by Wc3c, how the hell do you use so much bandwidth here?

I only outsourced the old stuff on wc3campaigns. All new stuff and often accessed stuff stayed on wc3sear.ch. So only the real old stuff got downloaded from wc3campaigns.

So having ALL files here will boost the Bandwith usuage to around 1,3 terrabyte a month so not much worse than its now... but the Webspace is the prob.

I just checked and the regular webspace for another 3.6 gig wold cost me 2000$ more a year...

I simply cannot afford that as a student with no income

Need to find a solution now

Level 7
Ad huge banner adds at the top of the site (should change), make map moderation more strict, delete old unneeded post in unneeded forums like off topic.

Level 9
Yes if only rageing but unfortuanatly i dont thnik it will happen. Lots of things need to be taken into account i.e. 1. As Blade said banners 2. MAJOR purging through all sections because even though the mods there are doing a great job i find some stuff useless 3. Yes bit torrent is a good idea BUT not everyone knows how to use it (like me). I agree with banners on maybe a few things (or pop-ups).

Level 3
just do this, add some report map command for users so if they think the map is low quality it can be deleted because you should have so many low quality maps and need some sort of quality control. Oh and i would help but i only have 1gig of webspace.

Level 3
Too bad i dont get an income(work), or i would donate the site. And also about the map reporting mentioned here: its a good idea, but also a risk, cause there can be lots of abusers on that, like reporting a good map. But also i wouldnt be sure if the one who reported had good arguments.

Level 15
DD_Draco said:
Yes bit torrent is a good idea BUT not everyone knows how to use it (like me).

The FACT is, even with BIG FLASHING TEXT stating how to import a texture, there will always be IDIOTS who are do not follow. Nothing is foolproof.

If someone is too stupid to read, understand and follow simple instructions, they should go back to playing with plastic toys. Simply put, if they are that damn stupid, what the hell are they going to make with the resources here?

Level 12
I seriously thik that the maps archive must be deleted (with the exception of director's choice maps and campaigns) And then make it moderated (require moderator approval) Seriously.

--

Adding a lot of banners would be effective: with the drop of users that will leave the site because of that, there will hardly be new resources and downloads.

Level 1
I have about 5 GB of space I can donate for at least 2 months while you get this sorted out. If you still can't find something after 2 months and need to keep the files on my server then we can discuss something to cover my costs, which would be very reasonable. My bandwidth plan is an unmetered 20mbps plan, so I don't think bandwidth will be an issue. I am starting another website on a new server and it is going to take me about two months to get it ready and that is why I am offering this. I can keep the files hosted there indefinitely, but would just need a small amount to upgrade the server to cover the space requirements. So anyways, if you are interested please get back to me, I would like to help.

-Mark Maliszewski
Email: [email protected]

Level 1
You could split the file into more manageable sizes (like .rar splitting, does anyone know what I'm talking about?). That would certainly make it easier to host on multiple low-storage, low bandwidth servers.

Status
Not open for further replies.