• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Unspent skill points - without hero abilities?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hi,
Is it possible to give heroes skill points, so that the number of unspent skill points appears on the Hero Icon in the top left corner of the screen, even if the hero doesn't have any hero abilities? Or is there a way to give the hero some hero abilities and then hide the "Set Hero Abilities" command button, so that the number of unspent skill points only appears on the Hero Icon? Basically I want the unspent skill points to appear, without the hero being able to choose any hero abilities, (I'm leveling normal abilities inside spellbooks and don't want the hero be able to level skills in the ordinary way) and then want to be able to remove and add skill points as I like... Is this possible?
Thanks in advance..

Level 13
well...i think so...you might be able to do something like overwriting every button with a blank ability that doesn't do anything and then that button that would normally be choose hero ability would be overwritten. you have to change buttonpos to change that. then as you add abilities you can remove those blank abilities and replace them with the ones you're adding to the hero. anyway i know you can hide or display the button in top left whether or not a unit is a hero so i wonder if you could display a number up there without it being hero skill points...yeah i don't know. i'm curious. are you asking because you want the skill points to represent the hero's level? or what was it that number is supposed to mean? ammo or something like that?

Level 10
Hero - Modify unspent skill points of No unit: Add 1 points
to add skill point, (already think u know that though)
and u could set a boolean after an ability is learned and use tome of retraining ability to set the skill points back up, thought there is prob a jass native function to locate taht set hero abilities command, (not jass user). well, gl bro.

Level 3
SanKakU
Thanks for replying :)
Well I do want it to represent the hero's skill points, but I don't want to be able to choose the hero abilities through the normal Set Hero Abilities button. Instead I'm using an extra "dummy" hero, so that you can access the Set Hero Abilities by clicking this hero. This is because I'm trying to make a RPG map and want the hero to be able to be very customized, with much more than the otherwise max 6 (7 with a removed attack button) abilities. When you use an ability with the dummy hero (all dummy abilities), I want you to use a skill point and add the real ability to the main hero; the hero has chosen a new ability. The hero and the dummy hero will have several spellbooks containing abilities representing the different categories (Light Magic, Thievery etc.) (All abilities are Normal Abilities inside disabled spellbooks (I level up abilities inside spellbooks)).

Diehard@Azeroth
Hehe :p I know about the Hero - Modify unspent skill points :p but when a hero doesn't have any Hero Abilities it doesn't matter if you add unspent skill points because they don't appear, or aren't shown. And if the hero doesn't have any Hero Abilities he can't technically "learn an ability" :S And I'm unfamiliar with jass too :(

Level 3
o so thats how you wanted it to be, hmm.... just use tome of retraining ability when an ability is learnt ^^

Well, what I was trying to say was that you don't technically learn a skill when a skill is added to a unit/hero with triggers, which I am doing, so I can't use the tome of retraining... Don't think a tome of retraining makes sense anyways. Well thanks for trying :)

Level 13
so...are you trying to say you're making a custom skill point system?
well...what i would recommend is to not give "hero" abilities to your hero.

what you want to do is edit your "hero" abilities to be regular unit abilities.
they can still have levels of course as though they were hero abilities. but since they're not hero abilities he won't be able to spend any skill points. it shouldn't be hard to test, and i don't see why it wouldn't work. i'll give it a shot now.

edit: ah, no...that doesn't work...does it?
maybe there's something wrong with the function...i should try calling a different one...

Level 3
Thanks for all your replies :p Well I think I have found a solution for my problem.. I'm using mana instead, so that for each level you gain (both your hero and the dummy hero gain an equal amount of exp) your dummy hero gains one mana. So if you use an dummy ability with the dummy hero you pick a skill to the real hero, and each ability on the dummy hero costs one mana, so the mana is your skill points.

Status
Not open for further replies.