• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Unit Recycling System - recommendations ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Anyone can recommend any good Unit Recycling system in jass?

I can not use newgen (computer reasons) and therefore vjass is completely out of the question (not to say that I have no clue how to write anything in vjass, in case i need to modify anything)

Level 8
Well, I haven't been able to find a unit recycle system in Jass... so is there a manual for vJass so I can use it to manually translate stuff into Jass?

Example: How I translate "keyword"?

Or is there any automatic translator that doesn't require me to save a map?

edit: nvm, found this vJASS Features Tutorial
So if noone has a unit recycling system in jass or an automatic translator, I will use that to translate ... >.<

Last edited:
Level 39
You're really not gonna be able to translate a system from vJASS to regular JASS because that's literally what the JASSHelper compiler does.

What exactly do you mean by 'unit recycler'? What is the system you've found?

Level 8
UnitRecycler can be translated into plain JASS.
I will check it out, is it better than moyack's ?

You're really not gonna be able to translate a system from vJASS to regular JASS because that's literally what the JASSHelper compiler does.

What exactly do you mean by 'unit recycler'? What is the system you've found?
[System] Unit Recycler & Simple Damage Detection System
This one, my map can spawn 70-80k units during a game session, including dummies. I dont necessarily have to use this system tho, I just look to avoid the hassle of writing one, and a firm believer of not reinventing the wheel.

I don't see why new gen is out of the question. I'm sure you could get it working.

Anyway you can use JassHelper independently of JNGP, try that.

JassHelper 0.A.2.B - A vJass and Zinc 2 Jass compiler - Wc3C.net
The main reason is, that seems to have major issues with win10, the current error is that game.dll can't be found, closed the antivirus. (after battling a million other issues).

On top of that, am literate with Jass and illiterate with vJass, which means I can not modify anything I need in vJass.

I will try jasshelper, tyvm.

Last edited:
Level 8
The problem is your AV. I'm using JNGP on multiple Windows 10 machines just fine. I even have it running on Linux.

But JassHelper should solve your problem. You can run your map through it, or parse a single vJass script with the --scriptonly flag.

JassHelper 0.A.0.0
I resorted to uninstalling the antivirus to make sure its not that, and it still doesn't work. Maybe jngp_209 is corrupted but the official link is down and i cant redownload. I will try jasshelper.

edit:
--scriptonly : This one changes the behavior of the next arguments, it forces you to provide four files:
jasshelper.exe --scriptonly <path_to_common.j> <path_to_blizzard.j> <path_to_input.j> <path_to_output.j>

perfect, tyvm triggerhappy

Level 8
What does not work? Maybe it has not enough rights to access the warcraft editor, try running as admin.
Ye I run it as admin and I even removed entirely the antivirus cause it pissed me off.

Further on topic,
UnitRecycler vs [System] Unit Recycler & Simple Damage Detection System
Which one would you use?

Even tho I already have a damage detection system, I can disable it if moyack's system is better.

An even harder question, does this even have a point? Do units really leak permanent memory? Is CreateUnit that intensive that warrants a unit recycling system?

Last edited:
Level 8
If units, I like the one by AGD, if specified to dummies you might have a look at this Dummy Recycler v1.24.
Well do this unit recyclers, recycle handles or entire units? If they recycle entire units, I wont be using them again, if not, saving createunit maybe its good enough.

Dummies is also an issue, but I would rather have a complete solution if am gonna go through this.

Last edited:
Level 8
unit is a handle. when it gets in recylce stack it gets paused and so on, so it's less resource consuming, and later the same unit/handle will be used again-
You can test though, if it's really what you need.
I meant handle Ids. kk, i get it. Half the units that die in my map(bit more) do not need em again. I guess i need tests.

Level 8
logs\currentmapscript.j
JASSHelper - Step 1 (textmacros, libraries, scopes) (scripts were imported)
Line 2: Could not find correct main function in file. / unclosed string
I get this error

call "C:\MyMap\jparser\0.A.2.B.jasshelper\executable\jasshelper.exe" --scriptonly --nooptimize "C:\MyMap\jparser\common.j" C:\MyMap\jparser\Myblizzard.j" input.j output.j
pause
This is how i run jasshelper.

I supposedly added --scriptonly to make it ignore that there is no main.

Level 8
I guess currentmapscript.j has to be your maps war3map.j file. Insert the vjass code to your maps script and run it.
Ye this worked.

Just for the future if anyone wants to use jasshelper. You need to create a folder called bin and put inside SFmpq.dll, and also put pjass.exe in the directory.

Also I forgot jassspy on, thats why newgen wouldnt load.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.