• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Template / Terrain] Unfinished maps - open source

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I had some ideas for some nice maps but I won't be working on them anymore. They've gathered dust for years now. They're mostly terrains and ideas rather than fully playable.

I'll start first with those already uploaded on the site in Maps:
WC III TFT Heroes Arena - Wc III TFT Heroes Arena (playable)
This one was intended to be a simple hero arena between the game's heroes, more of a test map. The terrain can be used for any other arena styled map or what else you can think of.
There are some nice triggers in there on hero randomization and a voting system for game modes and player kicking.

3 prematurely dead campaigns (all playable):

Notes from the Underground
It was supposed to continue the Frozen Throne, most factions being allied and building an evil detector to be able to prevent any other demon invasions and sense where corruption lies on Azeroth.
There's not much terrain to be had here, it's quite bare. It doesn't have any custom material other than a corrupted night elf faction as an enemy.

Rise of the Dwarves of Khaz Modan
The idea of this one is about the absence of an army from Khaz Modan during Reign of Chaos. The dwarves hid to protect their own lands but realized what they did wasn't in the world's best interest, including them of course, so they came out to eliminate what undead and demons were left out there.
There are two nice maps that can be used here.

Illidan Campaign
Our favourite Demon Hunter was supposed to slave a bit more for Kil'jaeden in hopes of gaining enough power to eventually defeat him. He was sent to find and assemble dead demons, like Balnazzar, into one powerful creature to serve the Burning Legion.
There's a Furbolg techtree and AI with two neat terrain maps. This one is the best of the three in the pack.

The story shaped as years passed and would be put into another campaign that continues my map Somewhere Across Nowhere.

Now, the stuff I attached here:
SpiderFalls-PowerfulTowers (playable)
It's a sort of tower defense altered melee on Blizzard's melee map called Spider Falls. Basically, you can only build towers to defend your base while you mine and gather lumber to build custom towers and buy set items for your hero. The enemy is a usual melee AI that builds bases and trains units but they are stronger than usual to compensate against the player towers.
There are some starting point, hero selection and player colour randomization triggers as well as others like a hero kill multiboard and announcement like in Unreal Tournament or DotA.
I pictured adding more factions/races like in Blizzard's map Monolith.

Beyond the Dark Portal (playable)
A very simple defense map where you choose a hero and have to face coming enemy waves. There's nothing special about it but maybe the terrain can be used for a mini-scene or something.

asdf (AKA Haunted Keep/Haunting) [terrain]
This was supposed to be similar to those horror maps where you get hunted by a monster or killer like Mansion Murderer and whatnot.
I wanted to draw some inspiration from the game Nosferatu: Wrath of Malachi. The atmosphere would include dark places with ghosts appearing out of nowhere and going through walls or something as a means for the player to be scared but not hurt.

Basically, the idea was: some people got to a haunted fort and had to survive until the day came.
The ghost is faster and has some special abilities that can be cast on the human players to slow, stun them. The ghost might be able to blink through things now and then.
The victims have some abilities of their own, like the all known temporary Run/Haste. They can also get some holy water from some fountain(s) to cast on the ghost to stun/slow it.
The game should automatically restart, any player being randomly selected as the ghost. Of course, game modes could be made.

Some ideas from a sheet I wrote years back:
Weather effects: fog/no fog, rain/no rain.
Peasant: Run (ability) – 20 seconds cooldown based; increases movement speed for 5 seconds.
Vial of holy water (item/rechargeable/location and weather based; the fountain in front of the church) – stuns the ghost for 5 seconds.
Ghost: Blinding scare (ability) - cooldown based; turns black (spooky image?) the target owner’s screen for 5 seconds.
Spiritual fragmentation (ability) – creates a timed illusion which does not deal any damage but can be replaced by the ghost (teleportation).

hide and seek (AKA Hide and Squeak) [terrain]
A tag map, somewhat similar to Tree Tag but the game should be a sort of recreation of the real life hide and seek game.

In the middle, there's a gold mine that is protected by two or three Furbolgs. The other players are rats and must run away to hide in the forest and after a time come back to enter the mine and escape.
The Furbolgs can't just sit around the mine and wait or they get penalized.
Rats can find various randomly appearing things on the map, like various effect/buff giving mushrooms that can make the rats temporarily invisible/camouflaged or faster or even kill them (for instance temporary move speed at the expense of hit point losing).

BeastWars (+BeastWars I version) [semi-playable]
Basically, a DotA type map. Nothing much in it but some meh terrain and heroes. Tried a different terrain layout than the usual AoS one but it proved to be too straightforward.

Buff Wars Arena (terrain)
Intended to be a simple arena map based on spells that give buffs and cleanse them (example: Silence vs Dispel).
Heroes were supposed to fight amongst themselves in two teams and there was a period where they could only hunt creeps in the outer parts of the arena to gain gold and buy items.
Heroes are taken back to their base through the Dark Summoning spell when any of the fighting mode turns end.

Tag Your It (yeah, yeah, grammar) [terrain]
Supposed to be a simple real life inspired tag map, also inspired by Pass the Bomb.
Here a wolf controlled by the AI ran after the players who were each a sheep. There was a bottle/item called Red Sheep (description: "Makes the wolf’s bite turn the sheep’s ass red.") that gave speed to the sheep having it but made the wolf go after that sheep. So, in order to win you had to be the last sheep living by dropping the item in the other sheep inventories.
Stuff would appear on the map that boosted the sheep temporarily.

Age of Mithology - Warcraft III RPG (yeah, grammar and no, nothing to do with the Age of Mythology game) [terrain]
A Warchasers type RPG (with traps and stuff) idea with some minor custom triggered spells (basically, other usual spells being cast as a combo depending on buffs). There are some few such spells in the map along with a really nice terrain.
The gameplay would be oriented more towards Diablo II in what the enemies are concerned, with mini-bosses with affiliations (buffs/auras).
Shops should be around the map in hidden places or not but mainly, items or rather artifacts/weapons/gears would be taken from enemies, strong ones.

Short story: Lucifer got in cahoots with other mythologies baddies like Loki and Hades and made an alliance in order to defeat the other good gods. Lucifer is also the last boss in the volcano zone. The gods with the help of mortal spirits venture through the twisted labyrinth to reach the source of evil and retake control of the universe.

I had some bosses and things planned:
In the first zone, a magician that spawns golems.
Archers would shoot at you from the unreachable walls where the waterfalls are and you'd have to go fast upward. Similarly, in the swamp zone right before the boss zone (circle/arena of pillars).
There's a place afterwards with some switches and skeletons around them. The dead should rise when the switches are pressed.
The second bigger boss would be where the fountain is, a Mannoroth type one that can hit multiple heroes at once if too close.
In the swamp, where the big pillars are, a Myrmidon that casts mass Entangling Roots and spawns little lizards or something, was planned.
Where the icelands lie, Lilith or such a name for a boss was intended for a sort of demoness that could create clones of the player heroes.

For one of the heroes (Athena), I wanted to make some neat spells like a spear to throw that gets enemies hit backward.

NightElf02 [terrain]
This one was supposed to be a chapter from a campaign I was making about Illidan returning to Draenor. I made it too symmetrical and after long years of non-use decided to scrap it as it's more suitable for an Arena map or such.

Anyways, hope some of this is useful to somebody.

Attachments

• (8)SpiderFalls-PowerfulTowers.w3x
    1.5 MB · Views: 55
  • (6)Beyond the Dark Portal.w3x
    336.2 KB · Views: 25
  • asdf.w3x
    58.3 KB · Views: 22
  • hide and seek.w3x
    280.3 KB · Views: 21
  • (10)BeastWars I.w3x
    1 MB · Views: 30
  • (12)BeastWars.w3x