• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Hero Arena] NHAOS Development

Status
Not open for further replies.
INTRO

Ever had that nostalgia feeling for the dawn of custom Warcraft 3 maps, like the very first time you played War Chasers, DOTA, Angel Arena, Footman Wars and so on? Like many other people (I suppose), sometimes I come back to these old maps and give them a quick replay. This thread is about a project I'm working on, which aims to capture that nostalgia feeling, and create a map that is somewhat new, yet relatable to the very first custom maps. I wouldn't say the map as a whole is something unique, but rather the concept and the mix of styles (hero-arena, tower-defense, aos) give it it's "spirit".

ABOUT THE MAP

Map is in a playable beta state.
The map name is temporary - it will be changed for sure.
Map is open source and free to be changed/edited by anyone - just give credit.
Yes there are still some bugs in it. Content will be changed significantly when fully released.
Credits to go the resource creators for used models/icons and the list will be included in the release.

The players are divided in to 2 teams (4 players + 1 computer player each) and 1 team ( 1 computer player which represent the creep).
Every player starts with a hero who battles in maze-style arena and defends the team's base against the creeps and the opposing team.

Killing creeps gives the player experience and construction materials which is used for the construction of structures and traps.
In addition to exp and building materials there is a 15% chance a mob will drop a power up or a permanent item randomizer reward.
Gold is generated automatically every few seconds for each player.

The heroes have the ability to construct defensive structures, traps or mechanical units, once they purchase the blueprints for them.
For construction of the above mentioned the players need to have the craft expertise which automatically increased at level 4 and 7.
Once a blueprint is purchased it is removed from the merchant selling it - in terms making it a way to block the opposing team from getting this technology.
The purchased schematic is shared with the player's team. There are 2 merchants selling the blueprints.

Skills are purchased with gold from a special unit "Enchantment stone".
For the moment there are 4 default race skills (human, orc, undead, night elf) divided in to tiers. One skill per tier restriction.
Additionally there is a special skill "Skill modifier" which adds an extra effect to the skills. Player can change this skill as well and the system will be tweaked further in the future.

Built-in map traps are located around the map and have to be activated by the players to work.

There are 4 special areas (the forts) which players can attack and capture, giving them bonus gold generation and other bonuses.
When a team has 2 or more forts captured the creeps that spawn from the portals change ownership to the owning faction.

Shops will be added for Enchantment stone skills and regular items/consumables.

WHAT I NEED

Some ideas, opinions, testing and people that want to add to the project.
I will open a thread in the Project recruitment section.

map.jpg

view1.jpg

view2.jpg

Attachments

• MazeArena.w3x
    2.7 MB · Views: 16
Level 21
Reminds one of this official DotA 2 Colosseum map.

I guess you could draw inspiration from that and add global events or so?

Level 14
The spike trap is so much ridiculously op it is nonsensical.
I can hardly see myself not trying to buy the two instances of the trap to prevent the opponent team from getting it.(and to be sure to be able to use it because it deals a lot of damage and stuns and can not be targetted)

Status
Not open for further replies.