• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Survive the Ruins - Open Source Survival

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Background
war3mapPreview.pngA group of explorers stumble upon ancient ruins. Legend has it that the ruins come alive at night and death itself is reversed to bring about horrendous, bloodthirsty creatures. Nobody who has entered these ruins has ever been seen again...

At its core, the map is a builder defense/survival. In order to win, you must defend yourselves from the undead throughout the night using a variety of towers and unit to combat foes that increase in strength as day draws nearer.

Difficulty
If you play a game, one that that quickly becomes apparent if you aren't prepared is the difficulty of the game. There is no such thing as an easy win and nor should there be any guarantee of a win. You don't play a map to beat it, you play to be challenged and simply hope to win. No players are entitled to a win and it is this idea that I stick to in this map. Better that the map be unbeatable than hand players a win they didn't truly earn.

Team Based Gameplay
Another core idea of this game is that of teamwork. No individual builder has all the necessary tools to withstand the onslaught throughout the night. Only when players team up to hold off the threat do they stand any chance of survival.

Revival
Death is never the final answer so long as there is someone willing to fight to save your soul. Upon your death, your soul is sent to the underworld where it must navigate a dangerous course in the hopes of reviving itself. Take one path, and your allies will be able to save you from your fate. The other path, although more dangerous, lets you take your life into your own hands and revive yourself entirely from the dead without the needs of any teammates. Beware, for if all of your teammates die before you can escape, you will forever be trapped in the underworld.

Terrain Screenshots
Screen shot 2011-06-18 at 5.21.52 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-06-18 at 5.23.50 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-06-18 at 5.27.30 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-06-18 at 5.36.27 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-06-18 at 5.29.06 PM.png

Upcoming Features
  • More towers and content for builders
  • More varied and difficult enemies
  • More terrain areas to play in

Open Source
Yes, this map is open source, meaning that the map and all the code used in it are publicly available online to anyone. By doing this, I hope people will be able to learn from the code in the map as well as more easily contribute new ideas by actually implementing them in the map itself. You may feel free to look at the source, modify the map, and use any systems in your own maps as long as proper credit is given.

If you want to take the map and make your own public version of it, all the more power to you. I just recommend that you change the map name so that it isn't confused with this version of the map.

The map and code used are available here:
https://github.com/xalduin/survivetheruins

Howto Edit Map:
  1. Make sure that Java is up to date on your computer
  2. Download strnewgen.7z and extract the files somewhere
  3. Download the latest copy of the map at the above github link (click the Downloads button, then Download.zip) and extract the contents (keep them in the same folder)
  4. Run the NewGen WE program from the strnewgen pack and open up the downloaded copy of str.w3x
  5. If the map saves without problems, you're all set up!

If you just want the map to host in public, please see the attached map file below.

Attachments

• ObjectDataExtractor.zip
    314 KB · Views: 114
  • SurviveTheRuinsv2.1p3.w3x
    447.6 KB · Views: 178
  • strnewgen.7z
    5.7 MB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Level 11
Holy $hit. You continue-ing this map wyrmlord :D?

Can't even win this game with 5 players x_X

It's enough trouble winning with a full house of players too. I'll likely add some difficulty scaling for smaller teams because you can't always get a full house. There are some new towers being worked on which should also make it easier later on in the game.

Level 11
Is anyone interested in helping to contribute to the map? I'm not simply talking about coding things, but also adding additional terrain, units and towers, and testing new features before they're hosted on Battle.net.

If anyone is interested, I'm more than glad to provide additional information on how to get things done in the map as well as adding additional testing code so that anyone can easily grab and test the map without problem.

The map and code have been updated to reflect some smaller balance tweaks as well as additional buildings that are being added to the game. I could use suggestions for additional buildings for the Physicist and Archaeologist builders.

Level 11
Map Update

Summary
This update is a large content update, bringing many new buildings and an additional tier to tech to for builders. Balance adjustments have also been made which make the players more susceptible to magic damage.

Misc
  • All buildings have had their resistance changed to reflect their respective builders instead of being fixed at 50. Orc buildings have the least while the Physicist's buildings have the greatest average resistance.
  • A second terrain map is now playable
  • Terrain adjustments on map one have been made to allow for more building room in smaller bases as well as to help correct enemy pathing
  • Necromancer's Raise Skeleton mana cost raised to 75 from 25

Engineer
  • Added Arcane Tower, a medium ranged tower that is strong against spellcasters
  • Added Guard Tower, a long range and high damage tower
  • Added the Assault Tank, a reinforced tank great for close combat
  • Added the Onslaught Tank, a long range tank that deals damage from afar
  • Added an additional level to the barricade to help it last throughout the game

Orc Builder
  • Added the Boulder Tower, a mid-game tower with strong splash damage
  • Added the Spirit Lodge, a strong tower with a bouncing magic attack
  • Added the Ultimate Demolisher, the Orc's ultimate long range destruction machine
  • Added the Assault Tower, a mid-game tower effective against single targets
  • Buffed the War Tower
  • The poison arrow research has an additional level to add a slowing effect
  • Added the Advanced Burrow

Physicist
  • Added the Shield Generator, a building capable of reducing incoming damage
  • Added the Capacitor, a building capable of storing and transferring energy to nearby buildings
  • Added the Electrostatic Tower, a tower which weakens enemies to electric damage with every attack
  • Added the Electrocute Tower which upgrades from the Tesla Tower
  • Added the Advanced Electric Obelisk for late-game usage
  • Buffed the Thunder Tower which serves as the Physicist's ultimate offensive tower and attacks with chain lightning

If you find any problems with this version, please let me know. I'm always open to more building suggestions, especially for the Archaeologist.

pkw

pkw

Level 9
Ah just tested it a while ago with a friend :D

Pretty hard still but much easier. Maybe Archaeologist can have some earth type building or something o.0? Well, he's called a archaeologist after all :D

Level 11
What I want to do with the Archaeologist is to make him be a very offensive builder whose towers have lots of debuffs and effects, but lack a lot of defensive structures.

As for the difficulty, I plan on adding in another boss or two earlier in the game because it's almost too easy to make it up to the Lich at which point the difficulty jumps.

Level 11
A custom version of the NewGen pack has been uploaded to make editing the map easier for anyone that would like to do so. In addition, many changes have been made to the map which you can take a look at here.

I will be uploading a new version of the map after doing some testing, but for those wanting to get an early look, you can take a look at the map attached to this post.

Attachments

• SurviveTheRuinsv2.1p9.w3x
    460.4 KB · Views: 141
Status
Not open for further replies.