• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Uberlisk Style Units

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
So, I was messing around with Attachments in the Data Editor, and I found that they are actually incredibly awesome. Basically, you can use them to create models like the Uberlisk that can function ingame.

Anyways, here are a couple of things I made.

APC.jpg

Basically, a transport vehicle with a mounted gatling gun.
mrzVehicles.jpg

Heavily armored assault/siege unit, also serves as a mobile factory that can build light ground units. Partially inspired by Supcom's Fatboy.
FloatingFortress.jpg

Space-based support unit, capable of housing, repairing, and building aircraft. Somewhat inspired by the Valiant in Dr. Who. It would actually normally be in space or some shit because otherwise gravity would break it or something. D:

Anyways, if you want to learn how I made these things, I would recommend this tutorial. Also, I'll probably post my finished vehicles here via maps/mods so that other people can learn from them.

EDIT: Here, the APC has been fully animated and stuff, so if you want to you can look at the map and see how it was done.

Attachments

• APC.SC2Map
    197.2 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
Level 5
I don't see the image of the APC unit.

I havn't played around with the Attachment system in SC2 yet.

Still working my way through learning Dialog menu's and Screen Images, before heading to the Data Editor.

I have been working on an APC (Armored Personelle Carrier) type unit in 3D Studio Max recently, it is essentially a mounted bunker... with a siege tank sort of base. I'd like to see your image, try upload it again?

Level 11
Attaching things basically work like this: First, you have an attachment point, most models have several (the Siege Tank has 11). Then, you can have offsets in any direction, X, Y, or Z. You can also define rotations in the X, Y, and Z axises. Effectively, you have all the 6 degrees of freedom available to you.

All of the attachments will move with the vehicle, and keep the same relative positions. Additionally, you can rather easily have attachments follow turrets by changing the Turret Body value for your turret's actor.

Level 3
Hey it would be cool probably going to happen but when its released custom units such as just tracks or tires or whatever are made and special attachments made to attach to them ? would that work to make custom units or not be like the bottom tracks that that apc uses to drive by self and lots models made to attach to the tracks to make custom units that drive on tracks O.O ?

Level 11
Would love to see some more like this. They are really nice and interesting. Though I would suggest that you should try and integrate them more. In some circumstances it just looks like some things are tacked on.

Perhaps lower the factory so it covers all but the wheels for example.

Level 11
Hey it would be cool probably going to happen but when its released custom units such as just tracks or tires or whatever are made and special attachments made to attach to them ? would that work to make custom units or not be like the bottom tracks that that apc uses to drive by self and lots models made to attach to the tracks to make custom units that drive on tracks O.O ?
I don't do anything modelling related, though I imagine detaching some components (like tank treads, wheels, turrets, etc) would be rather simple. However, for the contest which I am primarily making this stuff for, one of the requirements is that I only use ingame models.
could we have a tutorial on how to achieve this?
I might write one sometime later, though unsure, especially since there is already a few tutorials on this subject (ie see the link in the OP).
do the turrets actually shoot though?
Yeah, and they have the appropriate muzzle flashes/missile launch sites etc etc.

Level 35
Look at it this way: If you find a tutorial that teaches you how to make an attachment that attacks, surely you'd be able to easily figure out how to make an attachment that doesn't, right? I mean, the hardest part of any attachment for me has been to get it to appear, if you don't want it to attack, I think you just don't apply any weapons to it (although I could be wrong, I was quite crap at the Data Editor, much unlike the War3 Object Editor :p).

Look at it this way: If you find a tutorial that teaches you how to make an attachment that attacks, surely you'd be able to easily figure out how to make an attachment that doesn't, right? I mean, the hardest part of any attachment for me has been to get it to appear, if you don't want it to attack, I think you just don't apply any weapons to it (although I could be wrong, I was quite crap at the Data Editor, much unlike the War3 Object Editor :p).

the thing with the tutorial is that one thing that messes up makes the whole thing not work.

and it's frustrating

took me 3 hours to figure it out last night, and it finally works, but im not quite sure what does what yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.