• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Two simple questions about the "Wait" action.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Howdy, folks.

So I'm an amateur mapmapker, but I've gathered from experience and research on the Hive that the Wait action is not good to use. It causes triggers to be screwy, but I don't know what exactly it does.

1) What exactly does it do that messes with triggers?

and

2) How can I trigger a wait time without using this action? I'm not sure if the only way is to set a countdown timer. If so I can deal with it, but I'm hoping there might be a simpler way.

Level 4
I see. I thought it might have something to do with local variables resetting or something.

And that sounds good. In fact, I've seen it a few times on some spells on here, so I guess I should've picked that up on my own. :/

Thanks!

Level 5
wait also cant be use in MUI, so if you want to use some spell that use wait like,
after casting, will stun the area AFTER 3 second.
u can make it MUI without any index or mui system,

just create a dummy unit at target point for trig unit, and order the DUMMY unit to cast stun spell like war stomp....

the core is... to give the war stomp 3 second casting time, OR give the dummy unit cast time point to 3second :D
hope it helps

Level 29
wait also cant be use in MUI,

This is completely wrong. As i have stated in my answer to his question waits have nothing to do with making things MUI or not MUI.

so if you want to use some spell that use wait like,
after casting, will stun the area AFTER 3 second.
u can make it MUI without any index or mui system, just create a dummy unit at target point for trig unit, and order the DUMMY unit to cast stun spell like war stomp....

the core is... to give the war stomp 3 second casting time, OR give the dummy unit cast time point to 3second :D
hope it helps

Yes you can do it this way as well but it can give unwanted results.
Example: the unit the dummy is supposed to attack walks out of range. Now the dummy will have to catch up to that unit which will create a bigger time delay. Also don't forget if you use the unit timer to destroy the dummy unit then this time will most likely remove the dummy before it attacks the unit.

This method is not used for quite a few other reasons.

Level 5
ahh yes , its not completely cant be MUI, it depends on how u use it...
like revive hero can be MUi even use wait, with event unit is dying
make the function setting and use wait then revive :D

and the dummy, sure, i said its jst example... like the spell i mentioned,
casting to a point area, then after 3 scd , it will stun the area, hit the target or not, thts not the problem :)
its jst example, how to use every aspect in world editor , given value to edit, function to use and others game advanced setting

Level 22
Waits don't stop counting down when the game is paused, if you use it on spells, it will break it if you pause the game.

Level 29
Waits don't stop counting down when the game is paused, if you use it on spells, it will break it if you pause the game.

I know this. This is also in my tutorial things a guier should know in the chapter on waits.

This is not the question though. I never said waits are good i always say never to use them. But providing misinformation like above is not good so i was correcting him.

Level 22
It wasn't directed at you sir, I was informing mikagami. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I thought I didn't need to quote.

Level 5
haha thx for the correction :)
im not an expert or what, so thts only my opinion, and also i rarely use wait in my gui trigger, :)

Status
Not open for further replies.