• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

tutorial on attechment effects (worth a sticky?)

Did this tutorial help you?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
-----------------------
contents
A.ways
B.recomended
C.the tutorials
D.the attachment places
E.final words
-----------------------
A.ok first of all there is 3 ways you can do this
1.ability
2.item
3.trigger

B.if your a begginer to this i would say do ability ok?

C. Abilitys,the most easist ability to base it on is the human sphere ability the one that makes the orbs circle around the bloodmages hand is all you do is change the attachment area/s (see section D for more info) and change the modle file and it give it to a hero as,-abilitys normal, this wont show in the world editor but will in game.

items. base the item of "item battle standard" and change the modle file to what you want and the attachment place (see section D for more info) and if you ONLY want attachment effects delete the ability in the part called "ability-ability"(top one) and if its somthing you buy edit the stats and all that ect.. ect.. ect..

trigger, the trigger is most likely the simplest one but with abilitys and items they are more versitile so if you got a unit already placed and want to give it an attachment its easy to understand but its a bit more complicated (not too hard) if its on a unit who isnt in game in start use tre trigger "special effect unit/area" the defult string is overhead wich isnt used as much as others, so if i was going to make a special effect on a unit thats already in game my trigger would be as simple as
Code:
Events
    Map initialization
Conditions
Actions
    Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the overhead of footman-zilla001 using Abilities\Spells\Other\TalkToMe\TalkToMe.mdl
(using defult settings appart from footman-zilla001)
if you wanted to make a region have special effect lets say thunder clap (defult) it would be
Code:
Events
    Map initialization
Conditions
Actions
    Special Effect - Create a special effect at (thunderclap create)) using Abilities\Spells\Human\ThunderClap\ThunderClapCaster.mdl

if you have some troubles or think somthings wrong with these please just post it here

D.Attachment places
overhead
head
chest
origin
hand (see next part for more info)
foot (see next part for more info)
wepon (heros only(havnt tried it though))
sprite (the attachment that the bloodmage uses for his orbs(see next part for more info can be used for buildings)
medium (for buildings dunno what it does though havnt used it)
large (for buildings dunno what it does though havnt used it)

ok now for the attachment modifiers
left (hand,foot)
right (hand,foot)
mount (for mounted units example knight,huntress,raider)
rear (for quadrupeds w/e that is)
first (spirte,buildings)
second (spirte,buildings)
third (spirte,buildings)
forth (spirte,buildings)
fifth (spirte,buildings)
sixth (spirte,buildings)
rallypoint (buildings)

E.ok some people (like i hell did alot) tend to have things like hand and right in the same string (goes for any modify) but they go in seperate strings so for example you have first string hand second string right
ok thats all for now unless i need to edit
~ben xuereb

Level 22
I want to add something to ur tutor

The 'medium' and 'large' animations are for attachments that have those animations (Spike defense from the orcs for example or some glow models) but it isnt really an attachment. U have to fill in 'small', 'medium' or 'large' at: 'Required Animation Names - Attachments' in the WE.

Status
Not open for further replies.