• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Trigger to change damage type

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hello, I'm making a basic RPG map and I've modifided the damage an armors and diveded them into six categories: Piercing, Bludgeoning, Ice, Fire, Necrotic and Sacred, so basicly if you have ice damage you deal extra damage to fire armor but none to ice armor.
It already works but the thing is I want the Hero unit to change it's damage type when they use certain items or spells, I've been looking for a trigger but I haven't found anything that works for me, so does anyone know of a trigger that changes a unit's armor or damage type?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
There are methods involving using raven/bear form to permanently change a units type, and as a result its armor and damage types. This generally has poor scalability as you end up needing dozens of unit types per hero to reflect all the permutations of damage and armor.

Level 21
What you are trying to do requires high amounts of workarounds, maybe less so if you create your own smart system for it:
Like when using the ability "Chaos", you would have to remove all buffs+custom made buffs from the unit in question.
It gets worse when you are working with heroes, then you would have to drop all items, transform the unit via chaos and then resupply it with such items + the removal of buffs like mentioned above.
Basically you would need a system that temporarily reverts the triggering being to its unbuffed state before adding chaos, as explained here:
The Warcraft III Ability Guide - Wc3C.net

Maybe there are better, secret ways out there, one can never be too sure with the abyss that is the editor :confused:.

Level 8
@A]mun There's the Bearform trick that would solve all the problems associated with the Chaos ability but as The Doctor said, you could potentially end up with countless morph abilities for something as simple as changing the damage type of a hero.

Level 21
There are 6 damage attack-types for units (excluding spells) and 8 armor types, so thats 48 bearform abilities for every hero :/.

I guess one would be best off with this method when using fewer base models, like the 255animation villager (or comparable) and model attachments from items, such as shields, swords etc.

Anyway thanks for sharing.

There are 6 damage attack-types for units (excluding spells) and 8 armor types, so thats 48 bearform abilities for every hero :/.

I guess one would be best off with this method when using fewer base models, like the 255animation villager (or comparable) and model attachments from items, such as shields, swords etc.

Anyway thanks for sharing.

Actually only 6 bearform abilities would be needed if SetUnitArmorType POC is used correctly however hopefully there'll be a way to change damage type soon without much object editor data required.

Status
Not open for further replies.