• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Trenix's Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
General

• When we drop a unit in the nydus worm, tell us in the notification area, rather than making it an announcement which spams up our screen.

Balancing

• Fatty - The fatty resemble the bile demon, yet its attraction requirements are rather low when compared to the actual dungeon keeper creature. Currently it’s a 3x3 furnace and a 3x3 hatchery. In DK the bile demon gets attracted by 25 lair tiles and 25 hatchery tiles. In DK2 the bile demon required a 5x5 hatchery, 9 lair tiles, and a 3x3 workshop. Encourage people to build more, it gives people something to do and it adds a challenge.
  • Zergling – The goblin (DK2) required at least a minimum of 5 lair tiles unlike the beetle (DK), which only required one. I’m up for whatever is harder and I’m pretty sure the reason for this change was because the heart started to hold gold. Since you took that feature and added it to hive keeper, the zergling requirement should be changed accordingly.
  • Hydralisk - I would say the hydralisk resembles the orc (DK) or the dark elf (DK2). However the orc unlike the dark elf had a bigger requirement, like additionally needing a minimum of 9 training room tiles.

Creatures

• Pygalisk - As a dungeon keeper fan, I donno why, but the zergling just seems like it would make the best demon spawn (DK) or salamander (DK2). The salamander and the demon spawn were definitely my favorites and I’m sure for the zerg the zergling is the favorite. Besides personal preference, the pygalisk doesn’t even look agile enough to be a creature that’s attracted to the training room. It looks like it’d be attracted to something like a combat pit instead.
  • Zergling – The roach should replace the zergling, being that it looks completely like the beetle (DK) and it already has the exact same requirements as it. The goblin (DK2) however, needed at least 5 lair tiles to be attracted.
  • Multaling – The multaling should be replaced with the baneling, since as far as I know, the multaling is not an actual zerg unit. The baneling even glows so it would be perfect being the scout role.
  • Creatures need to have fighting roles. I believe Dungeon Keeper 2 has succeeding in doing this; however, I don’t remember if it was as effective as it should have been. The most powerful army should be one that has variety. Also no creature should have multiple roles at once, being that it causes balance issues. Knowing what role your creature is should be easily figured out through the info tool as well as the army panel.
  • Combat should be based off of the rock paper scissor mechanic, meaning that every creature should have a counter.
  • Every creature should have a purpose, having weaknesses and strengths. There should be no tiers for creatures like the previous Dungeon Keepers. That’s the one major thing that I hated about the game. Creatures should be thrown away to accommodate your playing style, not because they’re completely useless.
  • Add the infestor which will be similar to the dungeon keeper mistress. The infestor will be attracted by a new room, the infestation pit.

Rooms

• Vespene Chamber – Creatures get paid to gather vespene gas overtime and store it inside the room.
  • Psionic nest - Rename to evolution chamber.
  • Furnace - Rename to workshop.
  • Infestation Pit – The infestation pit would be a room that’s similar to the dungeon keeper torture chamber. The floor would be neon green and any enemy creature or hero that’s placed inside it would have the fungal growth effect. In order for a creature or hero to be tortured so you can get their information or covert them, an infestor needs to be present. The infestor will use neutral parasite to torture their enemy, making them take damage overtime until they die or get converted.

I'll add more suggestion overtime, use my ideas for whatever they're worth to you.

Level 7
Drop alert: seems reasonable ;)

Fatty: I was sure bile demons required a 3x3 hatchery but I checked and you are right, sure I'll make it 5x5 so there is a bit of challenge on obtaining them.
Zergling: I know there was a 5 lairs requirement but I think the work is not worth the effort. However I may think to implement it and to give a 1 lair requirement for mutalings that actually require nothing.
Hydralisk: For now I'm fine with the 1 guard room tile requirement, in the future I may think to increase it to 2x2 or 3x3

Pygalisk: The units conversion I made from DK to SC2 was mostly done thinking to a SC2 player approach. He knows that zerglings are weak units, mutalisks are quite strong but this is a small mutalisk so it must be weaker, same for the ultralisk that feels strong but this is a smaller version.
Zergling: Roach will be used for thieves due to their tunneling ability (that will replace stealth)
Mutaling: Banelings have no attack animation except for their suicide, mutaling resembles a smaller version of a mutalisk so I don't think it may cause misunderstanding on players :p

Combat still needs balance and rework, for now I removed all armors and resistances to damage types on all creatures.
I think like you that every creature, even the weaker, must have a role.
Infestor is already planned to be the mistress alternate

Vespene Chamber (or something similar) will be the temple equivalent
Psionic nest: can't rename to evolution chamber or it will reminds the equivalent upgrade room to SC2 players
Furnace: workshop feels not enough zergy, I need a zergy name :p
Infestation pit: already planned, didn't think of the fungal growth effect to keep them in place tho ;)

Level 2
Fatty: I was sure bile demons required a 3x3 hatchery but I checked and you are right, sure I'll make it 5x5 so there is a bit of challenge on obtaining them.

What about the liar requirement? They are fat, they need the room and a challenge is always fun. In fact, the bible demons in DK took up multiple slots in a liar.

Zergling: I know there was a 5 lairs requirement but I think the work is not worth the effort. However I may think to implement it and to give a 1 lair requirement for mutalings that actually require nothing.

Think the 5 liar requirement would also be beneficial for new players since no one should be making one tile of lair in the game. To cut out even more confusion it should probably be a 2x3 lair. Also we need a creature without any requirements, it can be useful for a struggling keeper.

Mutaling: Banelings have no attack animation except for their suicide, mutaling resembles a smaller version of a mutalisk so I don't think it may cause misunderstanding on players :p

I've seen a map that had a baneling attack animation, I'm sure you could find it somewhere. It was spiting acid, think it was in the map called Hero Attack x3. Yet, this is just my input, just hoping that I can open up new ideas for you.

Furnace: workshop feels not enough zergy, I need a zergy name :p

After some research, I got the perfect name; forge. A furnace is not a room, but an object. A forge however, is also known as blacksmith's work room. I highly suggest you use forge as the room name.

Infestation pit: already planned, didn't think of the fungal growth effect to keep them in place tho ;)

It'll also let you know what creatures are going to be tortured.

Well thanks for the response, I'll make you another list of suggestions if you're interested. Surprisingly your map is the best dungeon keeper clone up-to-date, I know because I tried every dungeon keeper wannabe out in the market. I'm hoping the once this game gets completely finished, it'll become famous on SC2. No kidding, if it does, I'll be playing it all day and night.

However, there is something that I really want mention. The reason I think the game isn't popular and why I don't play it currently, is because of the combat system. Being that it isn't entire finished, there is absolutely no real microing at all. All you do is drop all your creatures, spam your abilities randomly, and hope that you won the battle. If you lose the battle, it's most likely game over for you. So I highly recommended that you put combat as your highest priority above all other features. It'll make the game actually playable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.