• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Transport item cooldown duration or make it undroppadle while on cooldown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys, i'm using an item with certain number of charges, when a hero uses a charge the item has 5sec cooldown and i want the cooldown durarion to be shared if a hero gives the item, after it has been used and while on cooldown, to another hero. Is that doable with the Object editor?

In another scenario, i thought of triggering the item to being undroppable for the duration of the cooldown.
  • Events
    • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
  • Conditions
    • (Ability being cast) Equal to Crap Spell
  • Actions
    • Item - Make (Item carried by Illidan (Evil) 0379 <gen> of type Crap) Undroppable
    • Wait 120.00 seconds //item coodown
    • Item - Make (Item carried by Illidan (Evil) 0379 <gen> of type Crap) Droppable
In this case i just specified the hero to be Illidan. I wanna trigger it to work on any hero.

Level 15
I thought this is normal cooldown behaviour. You have to use the right version though. I think in one patch they changed, so that you can no longer transfer staffs to other heroes to use them again while they are on cooldown. This affects all items though.

I thought this is normal cooldown behaviour. You have to use the right version though. I think in one patch they changed, so that you can no longer transfer staffs to other heroes to use them again while they are on cooldown. This affects all items though.
Yep, this is normal behaviour of items, cooldowns are shared
I don't have that behavior. I'm using 1.26a patch.

Level 11
Doing some testing, it appears that items with charges do NOT retain the cooldown when passed between heroes, but items without charges do.

IE, a scepter of the sea can be used repeatedly if passed between two heroes, but if you set its charges to 0 (infinite), it no longer can.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I'm using 1.26a patch.
I suggest updating. People cannot really help you unless you use the latest version of Warcraft III like everyone else.

A silly idea that may or may not work. When item is cast set item charges to 0, hopefully enabling the shared cooldown mechanic, then restore item charges after the cooldown begins. If the trigger is 0 charges on drop then maybe doing something similar when dropping or transferring heroes will work.

One can use triggers to prevent the item being dropped when on cooldown. When the item is used, make the item undroppable, start a timer for the item cooldown period and then when that timer expires make the item droppable again. Might need some sort of MUI system such as indexing or hashtables (both GUI friendly) so that it works correctly for multiple units using different copies of the item around the same time.

I suggest updating. People cannot really help you unless you use the latest version of Warcraft III like everyone else.
Do you think it's a good idea to upgrade to the latest patch? I mean not all people have upgraded to the latest patch i see people still using 1.24patch on Gameranger and i don't want my maps to require the latest version of Warcraft 3. I've been using 1.26a for ages and it looks to me that it's the most common version that Warcraft 3 players around the world are using. I've been wanting to publish a thread about this to collect people's thoughts on weather i should upgrade to the latest patch or stick with 1.26a. :)

In this case i just specified the hero to be Illidan. I wanna trigger it to work on any hero.
Another thing, nobody answered me about this. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.