• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Towers starts to turn when attacking after Reforged

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hi

I have created a TD where all the towers are based on the standard Guard Tower and replaced with a unit model like most TDs.

After Reforged one of the towers(Archer) now turns when attacking the creeps. I have not made any changes to the tower and bow even remains as the model has not turned.

The last added tower also turns when attacking. The other 18 towers does not turn.

Has anyone experienced something similar or know how to fix it?

Level 12
Well usually, having towers turning towards their target is much better and feels much more natural than having towers firing in every direction without turning.

Usually people need to use custom versions of the root ability to allow towers to turn, but your case is quite unfamiliar as you say the bow does not even follow the archer itself.

Do you use a custom version of the archer model ? Is there any of your triggers that implies changing animation tags or properties ?

Level 4
I don't use any custom version of the archer and the triggers do not involve changing the animation. It uses the ability Searing Arrows.

I have another tower that has no abilities with a standard Wendigo model that also turns when attacking. It looks strange and there was no problem before Reforged.

Level 12
Would you post your map so that I could have a look at this ?

I don't seem to have this this issue before, so there might be something underlying.

Level 12
OK I have spent about 2 hours trying to figure out what is happening there.

After several attempts, I came to the conclusion that your triggers or upgrades or custom abilities or even Gameplay constants, are not responsible for the problem.

Also all your towers have the same issue when given an archer-type model, even Tyrande, and that was strange considering the towers seem to have their upper body only turning.

Then as I have a tower with the same model in my map, I copied it and pasted it in yours.

Although you have no custom root ability or movement mode for your towers, mine worked well... until i realized it could move (that was obvious considering they have movement type and speed (to be able to move in movement mode).

After tinkering further, I come to the conclusion that the best you could do to fix the issue is :

- Or give your towers a custom root ability with a kind of "movement mode" name, that will allow them all to turn towards the targets, and they will only move when "uprooted".
- Or you could make a custom root ability and give it only to your strength towers, but hiding the ability once the towers are built (maybe then also remove the string orders and hotkeys from the custom root).
- I haven't tested this, you could still give your strength tower a movement type, a turn rate and a movement speed and then remove the move ability ("Amov"), but it might just prevent you from ordering it to move and maybe not prevent it to move on its own. (maybe still worth testing).

Fact is, to get rid of the glitch, your Strength towers need a movement type, a turn rate and a movement speed.
And to prevent them from moving once they have this, root seems to be the easiest way (there might be other abilities that prevent movement, but i haven't checked them all).

Level 4
Thank you for the detailed respond. I have tested the custom root ability in combination with different models, movement type etc. So far nothing has not worked yet.

But I will keep testing more combinations. It's difficult to figure out when it is caused by Reforged.

Level 12
I grabbed one of my test maps lying around, copied and pasted the tower I mentioned, and placed 3 on the left side of the map.

I added both movement mode and their other ability, with icons, so that you can test it and use it as a model to fix your Strength Tower.

As you can see, it requires no code at all and can be very useful for anyone who wants to maze.
As I explained in previous post, you can also hide the ability so that the towers turn properly but cannot enter movement mode.

Hope this helps, good luck !

Attachments

• Test.w3x
    162.9 KB · Views: 25
Status
Not open for further replies.